LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:33 am

Post subject: Ric 4001 Stereoooooooo
PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 7:50 am 

This weekend, I rearranged my little studio and was able to put my Ampeg V4-b on the right, Fender Rumble 350 on the left, Fender Deluxe and Vox AC30. Now, it's super easy to plug the 4001 as it should be heard, as my Ric buddies know.

I almost did a stupid too and bought a second Ric, a 4003s, but a cooler head prevailed--I just wish I had one Ric with flats, one with rounds.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

Post subject: Re: Ric 4001 Stereoooooooo
PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 9:58 am 

I'll bet that'll sound great! And there's no harm in having multiple Ric's hanging around the house!!! :-)

PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 11:43 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
I'll bet that'll sound great! And there's no harm in having multiple Ric's hanging around the house!!! :-)

It does sound great, especially when I crank them. Next up is to add a bit of dirt.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2022, 5:41 pm 

A Rick in stereo! That’s the way ya do it!

If you feel like experimenting, run the bridge pickup through a guitar overdrive to give it a little dirt and cut the low end for some real Rickenbacker grind!! Then add in the neck pickup to taste to thicken up and fill out the sound!

And having a 4003S sounds like a great idea, to me. Of course, I would have to put a stereo jack in that, too.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2022, 5:54 am 

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
A Rick in stereo! That’s the way ya do it!

If you feel like experimenting, run the bridge pickup through a guitar overdrive to give it a little dirt and cut the low end for some real Rickenbacker grind!! Then add in the neck pickup to taste to thicken up and fill out the sound!

And having a 4003S sounds like a great idea, to me. Of course, I would have to put a stereo jack in that, too.

Yessssssss. I was getting ready to hook it up to my pedal board today and do just what you've suggested.

I've played it stereo before, but it was a bitch to hook up.. Now it's easy, so I'll get more time to experiment. This is going to be so great for recording.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2022, 10:09 am 

Maharishi Super Heavy Death Metal Dude,

What kind of dirt do you use with yours?

I'm using a Digitech Bad Monkey on my bass board. I also have an Ibanez TS-9, a Rat, and a Fulltone on my guitar board.

I only ever record now, so I can switch pedals around.

My favorite Chris Squire moment in Yes is his work on "Heart of the Sunrise." I love the sound he gets there. No one else sounds like him, but I do admire what the dirt does to his Ric.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2022, 7:36 am 

ch willie wrote:
Maharishi Super Heavy Death Metal Dude,

What kind of dirt do you use with yours?

I'm using a Digitech Bad Monkey on my bass board. I also have an Ibanez TS-9, a Rat, and a Fulltone on my guitar board.

I only ever record now, so I can switch pedals around.

My favorite Chris Squire moment in Yes is his work on "Heart of the Sunrise." I love the sound he gets there. No one else sounds like him, but I do admire what the dirt does to his Ric.

That sounds awesome! I would love to hear some of your recordings with it!

I run the bridge pickup into a Line 6 POD X3 using the Marshall Plexi model, and the neck pickup goes into a Bass POD XT using the Ampeg SVT model. I may not be anything like the musician Chris Squire is, but the sound I get out of that setup would definitely make someone look twice!

(The B7Ks shown are for Jazz basses. They aren't part of the Rick signal chain.)

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.