LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:27 am

Post subject: Wanted: High-End ABG
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2021, 12:42 pm 

Howdy, strangers!

I still lurk, but I've been gas-free for so long, I'm never really on the hunt for basses anymore, so I haven't had anything important to add to the conversation.

Anyway, a few of the guys in one of the projects I'm in want to put together a little acoustic trio, so I'm on the hunt for a quality ABG.

Yes, I'm aware that ABGs don't really work well acoustically because, well, physics, and they're just too small to project the way they should - but I want the best I can get my hands on anyway for "living room parties" and will amp it up for smaller gigs.

Anyone in the USA have one they'd be interested in selling?

I found one I like, but since it's a consignment, the store is not flexible on the price and are telling me "as-is, no returns" and that just makes me nervous. No wonder it's been listed for over two years now. :roll:

Anyway, if you have something higher-end that is a total player and in great shape, hit me up and let's talk!

If I don't find something I'll probably just go with a Martin BC-16EL instead.

Thanks, and I hope you're all staying healthy!

-Chris

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Post subject: Re: Wanted: High-End ABG
PostPosted: April 8th, 2021, 6:35 am 

If you're interested in something a little different, I was just about to post one of these for sale locally before trying my luck online:

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone/instruments/pbb

As a primarily electric player this was a great acoustic solution for me, as the resonator style allows for a slightly smaller body and lower action while still getting reasonable volume and presence when played pick-style (it's a bit on the quiet side fingerstyle, although I didn't experiment with raising the action or changing strings since I was perfectly happy to play with a pick). For my money it is about as playable as you are going to get in something acoustic, particularly given the 32" scale. Has a very cool sound plugged in as well.

If this is of any interest I can take some photos of my actual bass (which of course is a lefty model).

Attachments:
1-front.jpg
1-front.jpg [ 54.28 KiB | Viewed 5075 times ]
PostPosted: April 8th, 2021, 6:39 am 

Those resonators seem really cool. I have a couple of more traditional acoustics, so I never took the leap. I love it here, though:

https://youtu.be/L0fyYBXVaCU

PostPosted: April 8th, 2021, 6:48 am 

I was really psyched to find it as I hated the feel of most ABGs and was surprised that something like this would exist in a lefty model. However, the acoustic projects I wanted to use it for never got off the ground, and I'm not much of a "pull out my bass and jam with whoever has an acoustic guitar around" type of guy, so it ended up being more of a solution to a problem I didn't really have.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2021, 6:49 am 

Chris, I would suggest a German Höfner. Nails the high end requirement, not to mention it sounds more “acoustic” than any ABG.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2021, 5:36 pm 

Thanks for the replies!

I did end up grabbing a Martin B-65 from ‘94 in amazing shape. It’s close to needing a neck reset (typical for the age), but it still has a few more years in it. They just don’t make them like this anymore. Thick solid black chunk of ebony for the fingerboard and the bridge with solid flamed maple back and sides. Solid one-piece mahogany neck and old style Fishman pickup with the built-in old-school preamp. Sounds sick plugged in and I was able to set it up to play as nicely as any of my electrics, although the saddle is about as low as it should go.

Attachment:
AD93E80F-599F-4020-BDB9-9058F0026577.jpeg
AD93E80F-599F-4020-BDB9-9058F0026577.jpeg [ 139.48 KiB | Viewed 4847 times ]

Attachment:
D9F2C1AA-5AB6-4D04-BB54-750C486D65F5.jpeg
D9F2C1AA-5AB6-4D04-BB54-750C486D65F5.jpeg [ 81.66 KiB | Viewed 4847 times ]

Attachment:
8B15E9FD-69C6-411E-B44D-2DB8EF57308F.jpeg
8B15E9FD-69C6-411E-B44D-2DB8EF57308F.jpeg [ 90.8 KiB | Viewed 4847 times ]

Attachment:
620C6A41-C729-4A0B-BB85-BDA5EC9AFCE5.jpeg
620C6A41-C729-4A0B-BB85-BDA5EC9AFCE5.jpeg [ 103.08 KiB | Viewed 4847 times ]

I honestly never been considered a resonator but I might look into that in the future. Appreciate the offer on that!

If you’re at all into resonator basses, check out this video:

https://youtu.be/WRlFe49ODnA

Bass player is sick!!!

Cheers everyone!

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: May 5th, 2021, 12:43 pm 

Congrats Addison. Good to see you again!!

PostPosted: May 5th, 2021, 4:58 pm 

Addison wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

I did end up grabbing a Martin B-65 from ‘94 in amazing shape. It’s close to needing a neck reset (typical for the age), but it still has a few more years in it. They just don’t make them like this anymore. Thick solid black chunk of ebony for the fingerboard and the bridge with solid flamed maple back and sides. Solid one-piece mahogany neck and old style Fishman pickup with the built-in old-school preamp. Sounds sick plugged in and I was able to set it up to play as nicely as any of my electrics, although the saddle is about as low as it should go.

I honestly never been considered a resonator but I might look into that in the future. Appreciate the offer on that!

If you’re at all into resonator basses, check out this video:

https://youtu.be/WRlFe49ODnA

Bass player is sick!!!

Cheers everyone!

Unique approach! Really interesting! Like it! Check this one out. Let it play until it changes pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TOaxXY-phs