LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:58 am

Post subject: Re: What's New From Fender?
PostPosted: October 14th, 2020, 8:38 am 

Here they are, American Professional II Precision and Jazz lefties. Some nice upgrades, notable the sculpted neck joint. Choice of four colours. Maple boards for some colours.

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric- ... 42706.html

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric- ... 80705.html

PostPosted: October 14th, 2020, 6:34 pm 

I ordered a Miami Blue Jazz bass, the bummer with lefties is that they won't be arriving until January at the earliest.
Orders against for colours like Miami Blue and Dark Night are crazy, I've got guitars back ordered until next year already :?

PostPosted: October 14th, 2020, 6:45 pm 

Yet it's just another Fender. :|

PostPosted: October 16th, 2020, 5:34 pm 

paulo wrote:

What I meant to say was... Just another Fender with very limited options...
However I've been looking at the Modshop options ant I love them. Roasted neck, rosewood/maple block inlays and awesome finishes... much more exciting IMO!

PostPosted: October 18th, 2020, 10:46 pm 

paulo wrote:
paulo wrote:

What I meant to say was... Just another Fender with very limited options...
However I've been looking at the Modshop options ant I love them. Roasted neck, rosewood/maple block inlays and awesome finishes... much more exciting IMO!

We're still waiting for Mod Shop to be available here, it's been talked about a bit at least though.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2020, 10:03 pm 

I was messing around in the Mod shop for the first time ever tonight and found a huge bummer. It seems to be that the PJ option is not available to lefties??? Uh, what? When I go to choose pickups, the PJ is available as long as my orientation is on right handed. When I switch to left handed, the option for PJ is no longer there? That is a deal breaker for me. There are also several neck options that are not available to lefties either it seems? It may be a glitch or something, but I tried messing around with it, changing orientation and changing back etc, and sure enough, no left handed PJ. There are some really neat colors and I like the roasted maple neck, but that upcharge is too much for just a color and neck wood option, in my opinion. Its not far enough off of a regular model if I cannot get a J pickup in the bridge. After all, isn't that the most famous "Mod" to a P bass that there is lol? Ironic.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2020, 3:53 am 

That's a weird thing to not offer, especially since the J route is symmetric.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2020, 12:09 pm 

tim wrote:
That's a weird thing to not offer, especially since the J route is symmetric.

It may have something to to do with the stacked concentric dual V/T config. offered with the PJ.
Or it could just be Fender limiting options for lefties as they've always done, even in Mod Shop configurations.

If you really want a Fender P/J you could always look for a used Hot Rod P. i think member Psycho Ward has one for sale.
I have a 2000 natural ash that I modded with Dimarzio Area P/J pickups and it's a great bass.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2020, 12:59 pm 

Can anyone verify this for sure on the PJ thing? Yeah there’s an old hot rod option, but those are hard to find and not as nice as the new models imo and the colors are very limited.

Something else I noticed on the Mod Shop is on the Rosewood neck, the lightweight tuners are not an option. It goes to vintage open gear by default. Now that makes zero sense.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2020, 6:36 am 

donahue wrote:
Can anyone verify this for sure on the PJ thing? Yeah there’s an old hot rod option, but those are hard to find and not as nice as the new models imo and the colors are very limited.

Something else I noticed on the Mod Shop is on the Rosewood neck, the lightweight tuners are not an option. It goes to vintage open gear by default. Now that makes zero sense.

I verified with Fender via email that the p/j option is not available lefthanded. no reason given.

As far as the solid rosewood neck it is now an upcharge option whereas before the mod shop recent price increase was a no cost option.
Also the solid rosewood necks are based on the American Original series, thus the tuner holes are drilled to fit the vintage style tuners.

Important note : the solid rosewood necks do not have the graphite rods in the neck as the Am Pro models do , including the roasted maple.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2020, 8:59 am 

Yeah I just heard back as well. No PJ. What a disappointing bummer. Defeats the whole purpose of the Mod Shop imo. Getting a unique color and a slightly different neck is not some unique “built to your specs” experience. It’s a different color. Not a unique instrument. What a joke.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2020, 5:26 pm 

I might be wrong, but I think at one point, they gave the option of putting a Jazz neck on P and vice verse--for lefties too. That was probably at the beginning.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6