LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:34 am

Post subject: 1978 Fender Precision Pickup and Electronics
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2020, 9:45 am 

Bringing a ‘78 P back to life and I need a ‘78 Pickup and Electronics. Righty controls are fine with me. Thanks

Post subject: Re: 1978 Fender Precision Pickup and Electronics
PostPosted: October 8th, 2020, 5:52 pm 

One year older, but I thoughtI'd pass it on. Good starting price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-1977-Bl ... SwF9Fff1JT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-1977-Ni ... SwQbFff1KG

PostPosted: October 10th, 2020, 11:34 am 

Thanks I appreciate it. I’m going to stay strict on ‘78 for this one. Typically I wouldn't be that picky but this one is special and deserves it imo. Ironically, that seller that I loathe for parting out vintage basses will probably end up posting what I need to complete my project if I can be patient.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2020, 5:23 pm 

I'll keep my eyes open and post anything that comes up. Good luck. Waiting to see the finished product!

PostPosted: October 10th, 2020, 7:04 pm 

I appreciate that. I’m also needing 4 bridge saddles and the two knobs that were missing as well. I’ll put some substitutes on for now until I get correct parts.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2020, 8:43 am 

donahue wrote:
I appreciate that. I’m also needing 4 bridge saddles and the two knobs that were missing as well. I’ll put some substitutes on for now until I get correct parts.

Here you go.

Wiring/Pots
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-1978-Ni ... SwsVVfiH4j

Bridge
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-1978-Ch ... SwUvFfiHvv

Knobs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-1978-Ch ... SwDPRfiH3v

Ground Plate
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-1977-Pr ... SwDkJfiH2X

I am not an expert and there are others on this site that can offer additional information, bur here is what I have learned and an reasonably sure is correct.

There is no way to determine exactly what specific year mid to late 70 knobs and bridges are. The height adjustment screws on those years are slotted. That differentiates then from newer bridges. This one is slotted so it's correct. for those years. The knobs are period correct, but this style has been used for many years and can be found readily for a wide range of prices. The pot style is period correct, are very clean and the solder joints, wires and cap look to be original. Again this style was used for a number of years, but the pots have dates on them that determine the year they were manufactured. These numbers are not showing on this picture, but should be on the bottom or side of the pot casing. Check with the seller. You will pay more for an untouched harness like this than you would for individual 78 pots that can be rewired to make a harness. You find a lot of variance with 78 serial numbered lefty basses. They used the necks into the early 80's so you will find 80 dated pots in a bass with a 78 body and neck serial number. I believe that in a few cases the neck and body serial numbers may not even be identical. Special order issues and such. You will also find serial number stickers on the back of pick guards. I had a 78 fretless P bass that the body neck pocket, headstock and pick guard serial numbers all matched. Even the warranty booklet hand a matching serial sticker. Hopefully this will help you decide what options you have and what price you're willing to pay. Good luck and keep us posted!

PostPosted: October 16th, 2020, 12:03 pm 

Wow you are quick! I check eBay everyday and had not seen these yet. Let’s see what happens here!

PostPosted: October 16th, 2020, 5:11 pm 

donahue wrote:
Wow you are quick! I check eBay everyday and had not seen these yet. Let’s see what happens here!

Unemployed musician. Nothing but time on my hands. Hopefully this works. Keep me posted.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2020, 4:01 pm 

To update, I have a ‘78 harness and bridge/saddles on the way. The harness is a righty but that doesn’t bother me one bit. I prefer righty controls. I didn’t really need to buy the bridge as it was expensive. I was gonna throw new 70’s reissue saddles on it but I bid $1 over on the ‘78 bridge for the hell of it and won. The ‘78 knobs went for a stupid amount of money ($125!)so I lost those, but I have a bid in on a set of ‘75 knobs which are identical.

Hopefully this all works out because ‘ol Gibson Dependable, is ironically, hit or miss and his photos suck.

So I’m still on the lookout for a ‘78 P pickup. In the meantime a very nice member here hooked me up with a totally legit P pup (fiber bobbins, enamel wire, pushback cloth, chamfered alnico poles, 10.8k perfect, ) that is doing the job for now for sure. Thanks.

I’ve been playing the bass lately and it’s awesome! I’ll post pics when its all 78ed out.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2020, 5:56 am 

donahue wrote:
To update, I have a ‘78 harness and bridge/saddles on the way. The harness is a righty but that doesn’t bother me one bit. I prefer righty controls. I didn’t really need to buy the bridge as it was expensive. I was gonna throw new 70’s reissue saddles on it but I bid $1 over on the ‘78 bridge for the hell of it and won. The ‘78 knobs went for a stupid amount of money ($125!)so I lost those, but I have a bid in on a set of ‘75 knobs which are identical.

Hopefully this all works out because ‘ol Gibson Dependable, is ironically, hit or miss and his photos suck.

So I’m still on the lookout for a ‘78 P pickup. In the meantime a very nice member here hooked me up with a totally legit P pup (fiber bobbins, enamel wire, pushback cloth, chamfered alnico poles, 10.8k perfect, ) that is doing the job for now for sure. Thanks.

I’ve been playing the bass lately and it’s awesome! I’ll post pics when its all 78ed out.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear you got some of what you need. I scratch my head sometimes on the prices, there seems to be no logic to them.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2020, 6:09 am 

I had a 1970 Les Paul I got in 1980, (I was a kid) and changed the knobs, bridge, pickguard ect. Through 30 years of marriages, kids, moving, ect I only lost two of the original knobs. About 10 years ago I wanted to get the guitar back to all original since I had most of the parts it was pretty simple however it took me two years to find an original Gibson 1970 Volume and Tone knob.

Like you I seen them go for hundreds but I waited it out with two replica hat type knobs until I found a pair at a reasonable price. I ended up paying $50 for two plastic knobs that sounds crazy but they were going for hundreds.

So in short be patient and search and you fill find them!