LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:07 am

Post subject: Left Handed Options for new Basses - where are they all?!
PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 2:05 am 

Hey all.

I'm not sure if the timing of this post is right, given all the world's current ills, but I've been thinking about this for a while. Not trying to be offensive, so please forgive me if this is a badly timed whinge/observation/question (depending on how you see it!)

Does anyone else feel that the new market for left handed basses is massively diminished from what it once was? I'm thinking Ernie Ball, Fender, Dingwall - but I am sure there are others. In my recent research they offer lesser models, reduced colour range and only two types respectively - when each has a tonne more to offer for righties.

Is the lefty market really that small, that it's not even worth trying to accommodate us? I mean, if Ernie Ball are going to make instruments for The Vault, is it not worth doing on of each in the awesome alternate colours they have? It's all black, white and burst. I'd grab a Dorado Green Stingray in a heartbeat. And a Dingwall Super P would be top of the heap for sure! I would expect something like that to attract some sort of additional cost, so it's worth the manufacturer's while too, right?

Does anyone have any insights? I'm happy to be educated on this - aside from the "there's more righties, production lines etc etc" argument. Does it really all come down to that?

I think the only 'major manufacturer' to offer a broad (if not full) range is Sire. I've ordered one recently, just to give it a spin - but it wasn't the top of my list, simply because I've not played one before.

I'm not saying we need to rise up or anything, I'm just bummed that the options are drying up. I think part of it is that I'm disappointed they don't want people to have something super sweet - because I would be using the bass as a tool to create and play with, I guess part of me wants the maker to have that same enthusiasm (which might sound naff to some).

I can't eat an apple with my right hand, so learning the other way is totally out - definitely one orientation only for me!

Happy to be roasted if I'm wrong, but I'm just finding the current offering of lefties to be really lacking - and wondered if the community agreed or had any thoughts. I am looking to buy something new, but not trying to be crass about it - I know there is a lot going on for people right now.

I'll be listing some basses this week too: my Sadowsky NYC4 and Spector 6 string, and possibly my Stingray5 also.

Peace all.

Post subject: Re: Left Handed Options for new Basses - where are they all?
PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 6:32 am 

I fully agree that it seems as if has diminished and I just do not understand it. I know all the companies have meetings and ask how can we raise sales by 10% but never consider expanding their left handed market.

What has always confused me is back in the day (60's -80's) I get it, they were more hand made and even in right handed had limited offering. In the 70's there were only a few colors and models of right handed strats. However with CNC machines, automated inventory ect Fender offers hundreds of versions of right handed but now even more limited in Left Handed.

So for me I gave up, my Pedulla, Mike Lull and a few other basses were ordered by builders who care about left handers, I picked my color, neck type, pick ups ect. I have sold a good amount of my collection but my Mike Lull will be my #1 bass from now on.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 7:16 am 

G&L is still pretty good to lefties, although dealing with them of late is a bit fraught.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 10:21 am 

I agree as I’m sure all lefties do. Warwick and Rickenbacker are pretty decent to lefties as well. Almost all of Warwicks models are offered in lefty.

For me the used market has the best variety. I’ve only purchased two brand new basses in my whole life for the reasons you state. Is a bummer. Nothing like unboxing and being the first owner of an instrument.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 3:07 pm 

Cheers for the replies blokes - I was worried I was a bit 1st world problems in that post.

But the frustration is real. I want nothing more than to give Ernie Ball or Dingwall my money... Everything I look at new is a massive compromise from what I actually want - so I end up trawling through pages like this trying to snatch something up!

But it'll never be a Super J, or latest MM colour (which is champagne sparkle, not my first choice but it's still amazing!)

You are right about Warwick, but the Aussie Dollar buy price on a Warwick is pretty high up. I've also had some patchy service from their importer down here, and I don't want to keep barking up that tree.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2020, 5:31 am 

I used to get so pissed off about the lack of choices. Now I'm just frustrated.

Take Fender. No pj bass for lefties, no fretless bass for lefties, severely limited color options for any of their lefty basses, mostly black, white, or sunburst. There are exceptions, but not if you want an American made one.

Gibson? I'd save up my pennies to get a Ripper or Grabber.

Rickenbacker? Wouldn't you love to have an option to get a model other than the 4001/4003?

Hofner--I'd love to have one like Stuart Sutcliffe played (couldn't afford anything now, but you know).

Even Epiphone--I have a right handed long scale SG bass. How hard would it be to make a lefty version? Probably would be the easiest model for them to tool for lefties.

I realize that other, better manufacturers offer great lefty models, but these are the ones within my budget--if I were able to buy anything at all.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

PostPosted: July 29th, 2020, 6:21 am 

The Fender Mod Shop is now doing left handed PJ Basses

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2020, 10:20 am 

Matt R. wrote:
They only show that option for righties as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2020, 10:25 am 

Wow you’re right. Must be a recent change because I definitely “built” one lefty not too long ago.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2020, 6:00 pm 

Disco Volante wrote:
Cheers for the replies blokes - I was worried I was a bit 1st world problems in that post.

But the frustration is real. I want nothing more than to give Ernie Ball or Dingwall my money... Everything I look at new is a massive compromise from what I actually want - so I end up trawling through pages like this trying to snatch something up!

But it'll never be a Super J, or latest MM colour (which is champagne sparkle, not my first choice but it's still amazing!)

Just FYI, Thomann currently have MM lefties available in cherry red and metallic blue. May not be what you'd like (dunno), but at least it isn't black/white/burst ...

https://www.thomann.de/intl/hk/4_string ... usic%20Man

PostPosted: July 29th, 2020, 9:40 pm 

Cheers for the note mate, I have seen that site - and I check it every few months.

Those are Sterlings, which are still in a lefty range - just not Stingrays, and certainly not the super nice ltd ed colours they have been putting out.

scott_hk wrote:
Disco Volante wrote:

Just FYI, Thomann currently have MM lefties available in cherry red and metallic blue. May not be what you'd like (dunno), but at least it isn't black/white/burst ...

https://www.thomann.de/intl/hk/4_string ... usic%20Man

PostPosted: July 30th, 2020, 4:55 am 

This is literally why I started Scream Basses ten years ago, but I just couldn't do it.
Built 13 basses and had to call it quits - but they're great basses. :D

pete

PostPosted: July 30th, 2020, 2:36 pm 

Second all of this. I even feel like companies that had been more lefty friendly; Schecter, Dean, etc. are offering less and less lately. I was honestly shocked when that Epiphone Jack Casady popped up at Sweetwater.
..and what’s with Fender/Squier jacking up their prices every time they put out a new model or sub-line of instruments? The Classic Vibe series just went up $50 and the Player Series basses have gone up I think $75 since they rebranded them from the MIM guitars.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2020, 9:58 am 

Murzenquest wrote:
Second all of this. I even feel like companies that had been more lefty friendly; Schecter, Dean, etc. are offering less and less lately. I was honestly shocked when that Epiphone Jack Casady popped up at Sweetwater.
..and what’s with Fender/Squier jacking up their prices every time they put out a new model or sub-line of instruments? The Classic Vibe series just went up $50 and the Player Series basses have gone up I think $75 since they rebranded them from the MIM guitars.

Agree on all fronts. $2499 for a Stingray is an absolute joke; $1599 for an Am Pro fender is also a joke. And the used/vintage market has risen ridiculously too. I’m seeing late 70’s Fenders listed well above $3500 now. You’d think that companies are doing what they can to stay alive during the pandemic, but then you read that the market is stronger than ever because more people stuck at home are taking up or rediscovering guitars again, so I find the current price inflation even more reprehensible.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2020, 5:39 pm 

Thanks for the replies and considerations all.

I remember paying AUD$2,300 for a Stingray5 (with everything I wanted) 20 years ago, and just paid $2,700 for a Stingray4 with all the features (colour, neck, etc) very much not my first preference.

I regret selling the off white one I had 2 years ago! Would love to buy it back :)

Anyways, I was loosely thinking about an idea called Leftember - whereby once a year (September) manufacturers take preorders in September for lefty models. Just so there's no expectation on them to be available year round, but we still get an option to buy.

Yes, the name has been chosen so it's memorable - we all know cute/rhyming/alliterative names work best. Not sure if it's a good idea, but it's early stages just yet.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2020, 4:20 am 

Matt R. wrote:

That's great, but I find The Mod Shop instruments too expensive for what they are. Man, I've gone to the mod shop and put together a lot of guitars and basses.

But nearly 1800 for basically an American Std/Pro. No thanks.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

PostPosted: August 15th, 2020, 10:17 pm 

does anyone own an Eastwood guitar? seems to have an interesting collection. but. Regards to plausible mimics/manufacture location.... meh. https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections/left-handed