LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:43 am

Post subject: Passive Jazz
PostPosted: July 24th, 2020, 10:34 pm 

I am interested in picking up a passive Jazz bass to perform a little experiment I have in mind. Because every experiment has the risk of "failure", I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but if you have something that plays, sounds and looks amazing, you could probably talk your way into my wallet.

What are your thoughts on the basses I have listed below? Do you have one you would like to throw in the ring?

Squier Classic Vibe '70s: This is a great candidate because it is inexpensive, looks sharp, and is probably a great bass for the money (at least the 70's Modified Jazz I picked up once felt like a great bass). And, as a super bonus feature, it has 70's pickup spacing, which I doubt really does much, but would be fun to try.

Schecter J-4: A little more pricey than the Squier, but it is also an awesome looking bass, with better hardware than the Squier, I would guess. The bridge certainly looks better.

Schecter USA Custom: This is certainly the best quality of three, being a USA custom instead of a Diamond Series. The shipping is a killer, though. It has a Rosewood fretboard, which I like less than Maple from an aesthetic perspective, but might be nice for contrast since my other Jazz has a Maple fretboard. I am honestly surprised this bass has been for sale for so long. I think it sold once but has since been relisted.

Carvin B4: A Carvin for $540! Need I say more?

I even thought about buying both a Sire V7 and a V7 Vintage and combining the parts I like of each. I actually e-mailed Sire to ask if this would be possible, but the service representative didn't understand my question, so I didn't really get an answer.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

Post subject: Re: Passive Jazz
PostPosted: July 25th, 2020, 1:41 am 

Those Squiers offer great value for money and are nice, the new Indonesian CV's are on par with the VM series. The previous Chinese CV series is considered better, but for us lefties is limited to a sunburst Jazz with rosewood board.

The USA Schecter looks killer, but I'm lost for words looking at the back of the headstock :lol:. I guess it explains the price a bit.

The Carvin looks OK, but I'm convinced you can find nicer Carvin basses for that price. I've seen LB70's go for that. I owned a lovely B4 with a birdseye maple fingerboard and a 2+2 paddle headstock in immaculate condition that I paid only 250 UK Pounds for. Also, with a B4 you never know if you're buying one assembled and set up by Carvin themselves or a kit bass that someone assembled at home (they sold them as kits too).

PostPosted: July 25th, 2020, 8:48 am 

https://reverb.com/item/34357435-2006-f ... t=34357435

I have one just like this, but with a black pick guard and the chrome PU and bridge covers. It's in in mint condition, never out of the studio. I'm the original owner, bought it new straight from Japan. Paid over $1300. Price to members, $975 plus shipping costs within the continental US. PM me with your email and I"ll send you pictures and answer any questions. Or use my direct email wolfsweekly @aol.com

I've also got three others in the $300 to $500range plus shipping.

VM Vintage White body/black pick guard with Maple black block neck redone headstock with Fender decal under finish. Period correct Fender script tuners and chrome PU and bridge covers.

VM natural body/black pick guard with a P Bass rosewood neck. Redone headstock with Fender decal under finish.

Black on Black Fender "clone" maple neck with white block neck. Redone headstock with Fender decal under finish. Chrome PU and bridge covers.

All are in Mint condition. I love the look and feel, of all of them, but after trying a number of Jazz basses, I realized I prefer the simplicity of a single one PU P bass. Just not a 2PU guy. They need to go to a home were they will get the playing enjoyment they deserve.

Wolf

PostPosted: July 25th, 2020, 12:53 pm 

Jeroen,
Thanks for the information! The E-string tuner on the USA Schecter is messed up! I didn't notice that! Thanks for pointing that out!

Wolf,
I will be in touch!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2020, 1:34 pm 

Hey Conley- I've literally got a TON of Jazz Basses- all varieties brands, colors, etc, at least 12-15 or more.....I could list them all out individually, but there's an easier way (more fun, too)- I PM'ed you 8-)

PostPosted: July 27th, 2020, 6:15 pm 

[quote="superheavydeathmetal"]Jeroen,
Thanks for the information! The E-string tuner on the USA Schecter is messed up! I didn't notice that! Thanks for pointing that out!

...Imagine how happy I was when I got the bass like that :x

PostPosted: July 28th, 2020, 6:35 am 

I have a Fender Body with some nice electronics on reverb that I would sell here at a better price $250. The pickguard is from Tone Guard and the PU's are really nice to. You would only need a neck and tuners to make your project complete.

https://reverb.com/item/34339340-fender-mim-loaded-body-left-handed-fender-body-2007-3-tone-burst

PostPosted: August 11th, 2020, 2:57 pm 

Just got one of these.
I love it.
The pickups are actually in the right place.

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
I am interested in picking up a passive Jazz bass to perform a little experiment I have in mind. Because every experiment has the risk of "failure", I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but if you have something that plays, sounds and looks amazing, you could probably talk your way into my wallet.

What are your thoughts on the basses I have listed below? Do you have one you would like to throw in the ring?

Squier Classic Vibe '70s: This is a great candidate because it is inexpensive, looks sharp, and is probably a great bass for the money (at least the 70's Modified Jazz I picked up once felt like a great bass). And, as a super bonus feature, it has 70's pickup spacing, which I doubt really does much, but would be fun to try.