LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 7:45 pm

Post subject: Eastwood Magnum Bass - Bring it Back
PostPosted: June 18th, 2020, 8:28 am 

Eastwood is running a crowd funding campaign right now to bring their Magnum Bass back. This was their take on the Ovation Magnum Bass, which was an interesting bass made in the late 70's/early 80's and used by artists such as Sonic Youth, ELO, and a few other British New Wave bands I can't remember right now. Eastwood stopped making theirs in 2011 (has it been that long already?), and they did make lefties. Not sure if they will offer lefties this time, but I'll shoot Mike a quick note asking:

https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections ... UifQ%3D%3D

Post subject: Re: Eastwood Magnum Bass - Bring it Back
PostPosted: June 19th, 2020, 7:00 pm 

Well... here lies the rub:

"**NOTE** Images shown are of our tribute Magnum Bass in 2011. They are shown only as a reference point for this new release."

Hard to know what that might mean. Peter, if you talk to Mike I'd be interested to know if the plan is to stick fairly close to the previous version- or if not, what changes are being considered?

Imho it was the technical and design innovations that made the original Ovation Magnum bass exceptional....unfortunately the previous Eastwood version used all generic parts bin electronics and hardware that did little to capture the true sound and feel of the original. The only thing it had in common with a real Magnum was the body shape. Considering the price, I don't think it was that great a value for a right- hander... pay $699 for a copy that isn't even close- or save your lunch money until you have the $999 or so to be in the ballpark on the real deal?

Of course lefties don't have that option- so I did grab an Eastwood back in the day. While not up to Ovation standards, the build quality and neck were still actually quite decent, but of course the mudbucker pickup and passive electronics sounded nothing like an actual Magnum (if I ever stumble across a trashed original righty Magnum on the cheap I might raid it for parts). In the interim I made several mods to the Eastwood bring it somewhat more in line with the intent of the original:

-Replaced the mudbucker with a Guild BS-1 Bi-Sonic Single Coil pickup for warmer and cleaner low mids.
-Installed an SBK 3 band active preamp w/ vol/blend (to emulate the 3 band active sliders in the Magnum II) replacing the standard 2 vol/2 tone/ 3 way switch (also replaced all the knobs).
-Replaced the generic bridge and nut with a Hipshot Brass A-Style Bridge, and a brass nut...and replaced all those big fugly silver pickguard screws w/ black ones.

I think it looks better- and it definitely sounds much better- not quite the same as an actual Magnum, but it can come pretty close to imitating one, among other things!

PostPosted: June 19th, 2020, 7:32 pm 

Carmine wrote:
Well... here lies the rub:

"**NOTE** Images shown are of our tribute Magnum Bass in 2011. They are shown only as a reference point for this new release."

Hard to know what that might mean. Peter, if you talk to Mike I'd be interested to know if the plan is to stick fairly close to the previous version- or if not, what changes are being considered?

Imho it was the technical and design innovations that made the original Ovation Magnum bass exceptional....unfortunately the previous Eastwood version used all generic parts bin electronics and hardware that did little to capture the true sound and feel of the original. The only thing it had in common with a real Magnum was the body shape. Considering the price, I don't think it was that great a value for a right- hander... pay $699 for a copy that isn't even close- or save your lunch money until you have the $999 or so to be in the ballpark on the real deal?

Of course lefties don't have that option- so I did grab an Eastwood back in the day. While not up to Ovation standards, the build quality and neck were still actually quite decent, but of course the mudbucker pickup and passive electronics sounded nothing like an actual Magnum (if I ever stumble across a trashed original righty Magnum on the cheap I might raid it for parts). In the interim I made several mods to the Eastwood bring it somewhat more in line with the intent of the original:

-Replaced the mudbucker with a Guild BS-1 Bi-Sonic Single Coil pickup for warmer and cleaner low mids.
-Installed an SBK 3 band active preamp w/ vol/blend (to emulate the 3 band active sliders in the Magnum II) replacing the standard 2 vol/2 tone/ 3 way switch (also replaced all the knobs).
-Replaced the generic bridge and nut with a Hipshot Brass A-Style Bridge, and a brass nut...and replaced all those big fugly silver pickguard screws w/ black ones.

I think it looks better- and it definitely sounds much better- not quite the same as an actual Magnum, but it can come pretty close to imitating one, among other things!

That is killer.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2020, 10:57 pm 

Thanks Matt!

PostPosted: June 20th, 2020, 3:55 pm 

I have an e-mail into Mike, so I'll give an update. But I agree, other than body shape, it doesn't come close to an Ovation, which is why I never bothered buying one. (Same goes for their EEB-1, which was supposed to be their Ampeg AMB-1 equivalent, but without a scroll headstock, aesthetically disappointing). Understandable, I guess, given the proprietary components on the Ovations (I personally like the model with the built in graphic EQ. Magnum II?), which would be difficult to replicate.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2020, 10:53 pm 

Well, I heard back from Mike, and they will not be issuing a left handed version at this time. "Too small market" were his words. So sorry for the false alarm.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2020, 4:41 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Well, I heard back from Mike, and they will not be issuing a left handed version at this time. "Too small market" were his words. So sorry for the false alarm.

Which is funny to me because all they usually want is about eight orders for an instrument that probably costs them $100 each to manufacture.

pete

PostPosted: June 25th, 2020, 2:32 pm 

screambasses wrote:
pjmuck wrote:

Which is funny to me because all they usually want is about eight orders for an instrument that probably costs them $100 each to manufacture.

pete

Exactly. I think he's gun shy after barely clearing enough orders to make the Backlund Rockerbox.