LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:29 am

Post subject: “Micro” Scale Basses
PostPosted: April 29th, 2020, 8:56 am 

Hey guys. I’m in the market for a small scale bass. I’ve given up on the Uke stuff, as they are mostly garbage and impossible to intonate.
That being said, do any of you have experience with Basses like the Taylor Mini E Bass or Goldtone’s Micro bass?
Just wondering how well they intonate. I know they sound good, but I’m not sure if they have the same problems as Kala Basses or other ukes.
Thanks!

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

Post subject: Re: “Micro” Scale Basses
PostPosted: April 29th, 2020, 9:22 am 

I don't know, but the Taylor GS Mini bass is high on my wanted-list! I have the guitar version, and it's my main acoustic. It sounds more balanced than a full scale dreadnought I own.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2020, 9:29 am 

Jeroen wrote:
I don't know, but the Taylor GS Mini bass is high on my wanted-list! I have the guitar version, and it's my main acoustic. It sounds more balanced than a full scale dreadnought I own.

I had a mini guitar for a while after I saw Courtney Barnett playing a lefty. Wish I still had it. And I’m definitely leaning toward the Mini E Bass.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2020, 11:49 pm 

There's one for sale here:
https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/404900 ... -acoustic/

PostPosted: May 19th, 2020, 12:35 am 

I've been using a Gold Tone fretless solid body electric micro bass as my main instrument for a couple of years now. I enjoyed it so much that I bought a second which I shipped to a luthier as a model to build a custom hand made 5 string fretless uke bass. A fellow lefty drummer friend of mine also bought one and preferred drums over bass so he sold it to me after a few months of owning it. Since the basses are fretless I am able to get around the intonation issue for the most part, but you really have to be spot on since the scale length is so short and even a slight misplacement of the fretting fingers will cause problems (especially beyond the 12th fret). Although I truly detest lines and dots on the fingerboard of fretless basses, they have been very helpful in getting used to the extreme short scale of the Gold Tones. The rubber strings are another issue completely and I am still finding ways to work better with them. But the combination of ultra short scale and very low tension have been great for my decrepit fingers.

I have never played a Kala uke bass (hollow or solid body) so I can't compare them with the Gold Tone. If the Kalas are fretted and the intonation is off for whatever reason that would be a real drag. I was hoping to try out one of their California series solid body uke basses which they used to make lefty but they don't anymore.

The solid body Gold Tones sound great and are a total blast to play. No more pain in my fingers while playing nor pain in my shoulders from supporting a 9lb instrument. I can't wait for my custom 5 string fretless to be finished.

Hope this information helps.

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone/instruments/me-bassfl