LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:16 am

Post subject: Danelectro Longhorn Bass Left-handed - Black
PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 6:57 am 

Sweetwater has these now in stock. I love the black. Who has experience with these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... nded-black

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 8.56.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 8.56.44 AM.png [ 372.11 KiB | Viewed 8573 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Danelectro Longhorn Bass Left-handed - Black
PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 8:00 am 

They have it in "copper-burst" too, Same price.

They are tempting for the money but I'm reluctant to go short scale. Every short scale I've tried just didn't feel right for me. I do love Dano's. My Shorthorn (long scale) Dano has been a great relief for dealing with developing back and shoulder issues. I think these Longhorn models are even lighter.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 8:20 am 

ADSR wrote:
They have it in "copper-burst" too, Same price.

They are tempting for the money but I'm reluctant to go short scale. Every short scale I've tried just didn't feel right for me. I do love Dano's. My Shorthorn (long scale) Dano has been a great relief for dealing with developing back and shoulder issues. I think these Longhorn models are even lighter.

I switched to short-scale and it's the best bass-playing I have ever made. It started with an SG bass, and now the Spector Bantam, which is the most comfortable bass that I have ever played. I still have a dozen long scale basses, but they now feel foreign to me.

This Dano is 6 pounds. My Spector is 7.

pete

PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 8:38 am 

I played Paulo's and liked it. They sound pretty good! I think I still prefer full scale and big necks, though.

Ron Carter played one of these on a few albums in the '70s. He hated it, but still, if it was good enough for Ron...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRWyxzmNdJc

PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 1:35 pm 

I used to own the long scale DC bass in silver sparkle. It was a fun bass, very lightweight, and had that classic honky Dano sound that sound especially great with a pick. I still own a Jerry Jones Longhorn, which I suspect is pretty close in sound and feel to a Dano Longhorn. I'd like to own a copper one some day, but it isn't high on my priority list right now.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 3:00 pm 

Paulo bought a burst one lately and likes it. He showed me a demo vid and I was very surprised at how good they sound.

I told myself if I see one in black I'll pick it up.......crap now is my chance!

PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 5:06 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
I still own a Jerry Jones Longhorn, which I suspect is pretty close in sound and feel to a Dano Longhorn.

Hey PJmuck, is that Jerry Jones a stock lefty or did you mod it from a right hand model? I don't think i have ever seen a JJ model in true left handed. If I ever saw a short horn DC style lefty in a Jerry Jones, I'd do what ever it takes to grab it (Priced within reason of course).

PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 6:33 pm 

I went to Mr Music in Boston to buy some pots to put a harness together and went to see what they had for basses, I saw the Longhorn there, picked it up ant I was surprised with how cool it looked, well built and so lightweight.
Next day I went back to pick it up, brand new.
After about 3 weeks with the bass I looked everywhere for a bridge with saddles for it (allparts) and the only place I've found the last one for sale was in France and I ordered it. I put the bridge on and set the intonation spot on.
This bass is a lot of fun and sound great plugged in.
Check out this video from Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aqoEt9ElnE

PostPosted: February 15th, 2020, 5:45 pm 

ADSR wrote:
pjmuck wrote:
I still own a Jerry Jones Longhorn, which I suspect is pretty close in sound and feel to a Dano Longhorn.

Hey PJmuck, is that Jerry Jones a stock lefty or did you mod it from a right hand model? I don't think i have ever seen a JJ model in true left handed. If I ever saw a short horn DC style lefty in a Jerry Jones, I'd do what ever it takes to grab it (Priced within reason of course).

100% stock lefty. I had a lengthy conversation with Jerry years ago before he closed, and he got me an incredible amount of info on the bass.Made in Kansas City, Missouri (NOT Kansas!) March 1992. ;)

And yes, was thinking about selling it. PM me if interested and I can send you some pix and details.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2020, 7:00 am 

pjmuck wrote:
[
100% stock lefty. I had a lengthy conversation with Jerry years ago before he closed, and he got me an incredible amount of info on the bass.Made in Kansas City, Missouri (NOT Kansas!) March 1992. ;)

And yes, was thinking about selling it. PM me if interested and I can send you some pix and details.

Sorry if I misled you PJ. You got my attention because I've never seen a JJ lefty but I would only be seriously interested in a long scale model.