LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:49 am

Post subject: Lefty Gibson Thunderbird Gig Bag?
PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 4:07 pm 

O.K., thanks to Bob Jones, I now have a real honest to goodness T-bird. Since I am a professional bassist that uses a double bass gig bag to travel to gigs.. I was curious if any of you have one, or more bags that you know a T-bird will fit in. It fit in my double World Tour, along with a Fender J-bass.. but it's a 'stretch' up top. I really want a good bag, with more room. I've seen pics of a T-bird in a Gator Pro-go, but it's a righty one. I looked at an ESP wedge bag online, seems to be the right amount of interior room for my new bass. The Rok-Sak online in The U.K., seems to be made of unobtanium.
ANY help or advise is appreciated.. P.S., The Gibson case is very nice.. but I despise carrying a bass around in one. Ever see someone that uses them exclusively? They do what I call the 'arm-switching dance' after their arm/ hand gets tired. I used to do it. I never let anyone carry or transport my instruments- it's always with me.. and I'm a luthier, well aware of the potential headstock break issues with these. I've repaired plenty of them. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Lefty Gibson Thunderbird Gig Bag?
PostPosted: June 1st, 2018, 5:37 pm 

I have a T-bird but I don't have a gig bag and I don't take it around, but I had a Mono bag and it's so well padded I believe a T-bird would fit into it.
Also I would suggest you to look into a Gruv Gear Gig Blade.
Good luck on the search and let us know for reference! :)

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2018, 6:47 am 

the only advice I can offer is to find a retailer with a generous return policy, so you can order a few bags and return the ones that don't work. Good luck!

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2018, 6:50 pm 

With the addition of the Thunderbird, I now own 17 electric basses. All but four, are used for gigs. I actually have a bag, cord, and strap for every one of them. Ever switch basses to go gig with, and forget that you put your good cable in the other bag?
I avoid that by doing the aforementioned. I have some extra gig bags, that just wore out- mostly broken zippers at the bottom. Those are for storage only, and kept in the house. I just ordered a new series Ibanez Powerpad black bag.. 42 bucks from Amazon. If it doesn't fit, I will definitely use it for another bass. It's looking like the double Gator may be the bag I need. We'll see... oh can we spend money, or what? !

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2018, 5:38 am 

I have the Mono double gig bag. It's a snug fit but I'm easily able to fit my T-Bird into either side - along with another bass. For days I'm travelling with just the T-Bird, I have a Ritter Thunderbird Gig Bag. It ain't super fancy but it's light and it works. It's obviously designed for a right handed model but it works just fine with the bass flipped around so that the strings are at your back when strapped on. Here's a link.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ritter_rgs7_thunderbird_bass_mgb.htm

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am 

jayceofbass wrote:
I have the Mono double gig bag. It's a snug fit but I'm easily able to fit my T-Bird into either side - along with another bass. For days I'm travelling with just the T-Bird, I have a Ritter Thunderbird Gig Bag. It ain't super fancy but it's light and it works. It's obviously designed for a right handed model but it works just fine with the bass flipped around so that the strings are at your back when strapped on. Here's a link.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ritter_rgs7_thunderbird_bass_mgb.htm

Anything with the name Ritter on it would send me running price wise, but that's a nice looking bag at a pretty decent price too.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 7:22 pm 

I just bought an Ibanez Powerpad bag.. not necessarily for the T-bird, it was just really inexpensive, and I have 15 basses- one minus a bag J-bss fits, T-bird- nope. I saw a Gator Transit at my local GC yesterday, nice bag..and it's possible the T-bird will fit. I will need to bring it in to see. What I was completely impressed with, but they did not have the bass version... is the new Fender bag! The one with the 'Gumby' offset top. Thick and robust, nice interior, too. 60 bucks for the bass bag- but I would like to know if any of you reading this have one. If so- what's the total inside length, and width?

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 3:27 pm 

I have the answer to the question in my prior post... I bought the Fender FB 620. This apparently, is their 'mid' grade bag, not quite as nice as the guitar one I saw at Guitar Center. It's a nice bag, and I'll keep it, as my numerous bags are wearing out. The Thunderbird will not fit. What sucks, is that it ALMOST fits. So close, yet so far. I'm just going to buy the next bag, with no doubt whatsoever that it will fit. So, the Fender bag is a bit nicer than the Ibanez- and the 20 bucks more for it, seems about right in this level of gig bags. I will use it for sure. So now, back to my quest. Probably going to get the Gator Pro-go. Or a Mono.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 6:42 pm 

Just my two cents, but I think you're asking for trouble putting a T-Bird in a gig bag. They (as well as LPs and most Gibsons) are notorious for snapping necks due to the angled headstock. If that gig bag topples you could find your bass in two pieces. :roll:

PostPosted: June 14th, 2018, 1:16 pm 

I have a Bachbird reverse T-bird and a Mono Dual gig bag. It did not fit. The top of the headstock was too long so I would put a sock on it and hope for the best. I ended up buying the Bach hardcase after looking around to see if there were any longer gig bags and not finding any.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2018, 8:59 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Just my two cents, but I think you're asking for trouble putting a T-Bird in a gig bag. They (as well as LPs and most Gibsons) are notorious for snapping necks due to the angled headstock. If that gig bag topples you could find your bass in two pieces. :roll:

Sounds like some sort of iron-made headstock/chastity cage is in order, so it doesn't get defiled in the event of a knock-over.... :)

PostPosted: June 14th, 2018, 9:09 pm 

pjmuck wrote:

HI PJ MUCK! Thanks for the heads up- NO ONE, is more of a headstock repair preventing warrior, than me. I'm also a luthier. I have repaired literally hundreds of headstocks. One Firebird I have done twice, same guitar, different break. (See pics)
I'm all too familiar with Gibson, Martin, Gretsch, and other makers inherent design flaw in pitching back their headstocks, putting them at risk. My gig bags are always with me, in my care. I will not break this bass. I see people actually standing valuable guitars, with the neck AGAINST AN AMP, while they fumble for a pedal, a cable or something else at a jam or gig. One guy I know did that with a lefty early 70-'s ES335, in mint condition right in front of me. I told him, if he continues to do that, he'd be bringing it to me to fix.
Another note, for all those out there that think their Gibsons are any safer in a hardshell case. They're not! I've seen Gibsons fall over in the case, and the headstock will break. If anything, a hardshell case gives people a false sense of security, and they get careless. NEVER stand up a Gibson, or any other guitar or bass with a pitched back headstock, in its case.

Attachments:
File comment: before
P1010012.jpg
P1010012.jpg [ 112.04 KiB | Viewed 13466 times ]

Last edited by LHBASSIST on June 15th, 2018, 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: June 14th, 2018, 9:18 pm 

And, after.

Attachments:
P1010058.jpg
P1010058.jpg [ 342.41 KiB | Viewed 13466 times ]
PostPosted: June 14th, 2018, 10:37 pm 

Wow, LHBASSIST, great story, and an even Better repair - almost undetectable... incredible skills, Obi-Won--Can-Glue-It-Back-Together--Kanobi.... (I Love Hyphens.... :) )

PostPosted: June 15th, 2018, 8:31 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
Wow, LHBASSIST, great story, and an even Better repair - almost undetectable... incredible skills, Obi-Won--Can-Glue-It-Back-Together--Kanobi.... (I Love Hyphens.... :) )

Yep, amazing repair!!!!

PostPosted: June 15th, 2018, 10:36 am 

Thanks for those nice comments, it's greatly appreciated! I have been doing repairs since 1969.... began full time in 1979.
Lots of detours and gigs interrupted my work, but I always have a workbench going somewhere.
You can find my repair page with a lot more photos, on Face Book.. search- Dave Edwards Repair.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2018, 6:34 pm 

LHBASSIST wrote:
Thanks for those nice comments, it's greatly appreciated! I have been doing repairs since 1969.... began full time in 1979.
Lots of detours and gigs interrupted my work, but I always have a workbench going somewhere.
You can find my repair page with a lot more photos, on Face Book.. search- Dave Edwards Repair.

Liked, and following....

PostPosted: June 18th, 2018, 11:13 pm 

I just bought a Gator Pro-Go bag. It'll be here Wednesday, but I'll be at Harvey's Lake Tahoe, (tough life, huh?) on a day party gig. I'll know in the evening, as my spouse will receive it. After a test fit, I'll give you all my report. If it doesn't, I'll have a lot of nice new gig bags to play with!

PostPosted: June 19th, 2018, 7:57 am 

When is your gig at CaboWabo? I might come and see you.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 1:20 am 

Hi Phillipe, It was at an employee only party in the 'green room' area near the concert stages. I do not have but one single gig booked, for the rest of the year... hoping that will change.