LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:06 am

Post subject: Value of basses
PostPosted: March 27th, 2018, 8:54 am 

Hi, new member here! Long story short, I picked up these basses on eBay about 14 years ago and while purchased used, they've never been played out by me. Just some noodling at home. Mostly they've served as functional art and hang on the wall. I'd prefer they go to a good home and get some use, but have no idea of their approximate values aside from what I paid for them.

First one is a 1974 Greco lefty jazz copy. Sunburst finish, maple neck with black block inlays and binding. I've got the original case and tag from the guitar shop in japan where it was purchased. pickup cover is in the case but not on the bass, currently.

Second is a 2000 (or so I'm told) lefty Warwick Corvette with active electronics that has been modified as follows:
Fretted to fretless conversion with frets removed and line markers inlaid
Top jazz pickup replaced with a split-P pickup
Both pickups switched to Basslines
Has a Warwick softcase and a tin of wood polish that I've never used.

They play really nicely and sound great, but I just don't play them. I'm primarily a trombonist and keyboardist and thought I would have more time to learn the bass, but alas that has not come to pass.

Always been in a climate controlled environment.

Here's a link with a couple of pics.

https://imgur.com/a/8FZh0

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Post subject: Re: Value of basses
PostPosted: March 27th, 2018, 11:33 am 

Do you have any Pictures you could share on Google or something and link to here (Pictures worth a 1000 words), next you do a google search and you should look at like models in Reverb or Ebay and see what they sold for in the past.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2018, 12:17 pm 

bobjones2260 wrote:
Do you have any Pictures you could share on Google or something and link to here (Pictures worth a 1000 words), next you do a google search and you should look at like models in Reverb or Ebay and see what they sold for in the past.

Link was in the above post but here it is again:

https://imgur.com/a/8FZh0

PostPosted: March 27th, 2018, 12:21 pm 

bobjones2260 wrote:

Here:
Image Image Image

PostPosted: March 28th, 2018, 9:26 am 

Hi Alan,

Sorry I missed the link, I did some ebay and reverb searches and models like your right handed are going in the $500 to $700 range. You may be able to get a little more as it's a rare lefty and you have the original case and tag ect. Good luck with the sale unfortunately I am selling some of my basses or I would have been interested, as I live in Willow Grove right outside of Philly,

PostPosted: March 28th, 2018, 9:30 am 

That Greco Jazz is super cool!

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2018, 2:12 pm 

Hi Alan, here's a bit of additional background for you:

Your 1974 Greco was identical to an Ibanez 2365b Jazz bass. While Greco guitars were sold primarily in the Japanese domestic market, during the early/mid 70's Greco and Ibanez were sort of “brothers in quality” as many of the Ibanez models were manufactured by the same factory (Fuji-Gen Gakki) as the corresponding Greco models, the only difference being which brand was on the headstock. I have one of the same Ibanez versions that is new old stock:

These are very nice playing and sounding basses, and Bob is pretty much spot on with the value- of course with the high/low ends of the scale being flexible depending on condition, etc. Notice that these 1974 copy versions still have the nut at the end of the fretboard, instead of a nut in a slot like a true Fender?

Well, within a few years (1976 -77), though Ibanez was beginning to get out of the copy business, Fuji-Gen Gakki was significantly upping the quality/ accuracy of their Greco Fender copies to the point where their late 70's Fender replicas were arguably superior to that which they copied. As a result, Fender was losing sales to these Japanese counterparts in markets where they were available. So much so that in 1982, Fender Japan, Ltd. was officially created as a joint-venture between Fender, Kanda Shokai (wholesaler and owner of the Greco brand name) with one of the conditions being that Kanda Shokai would cease offering its Fuji-Gen Greco Fender copies and effectively morph them into the FujiGen-made Fender Japan models starting in 1982. Thus as the forerunners of Fender Japan, the Fuji-Gen Greco copies from 1976 thru 1982 are even more desirable/ valuable than the earlier pre- 1976 versions.

By comparison, here's an example of a Greco Jazz bass from 1981- you can see how far they'd come: