LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:14 pm

Post subject: NAMM 2018 Anaheim
PostPosted: January 4th, 2018, 5:47 pm 

Is anyone else going? I just finished my registration. This will be my first time attending the show. I am super excited!!

Anyone have the scoop on cool new things I need to scope out? What's the must see stuff?!

Post subject: Re: NAMM 2018 Anaheim
PostPosted: January 4th, 2018, 8:19 pm 

Went three times so far, although it's been far too long since I last attended... you'll enjoy the hell out of the experience, and be overwhelmed by sensory overload... in other words - you'll have a blast! Report in, take pictures, and let us know about anything cool that strikes your fancy! :D

PostPosted: January 7th, 2018, 7:40 am 

Lefty Dingwalls! They're bringing their first ever fanned-fret lefty, a NG-2 5-string.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2018, 10:09 pm 

I'll be there. I attend every year. We should arrange a meet up somewhere although times are pretty tough. The show is nuts.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 11:59 am 

Jeroen wrote:
Lefty Dingwalls! They're bringing their first ever fanned-fret lefty, a NG-2 5-string.

Now that's the scoop! Giving one of those a test ride is gonna be mandatory for me.

Awesome Gravesbass, hope we can connect! Yeah I've been poring over the schedule and even if I managed to be there all day every day there's no way to see everything.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 1:41 pm 

Moses wrote:
Jeroen wrote:

Now that's the scoop! Giving one of those a test ride is gonna be mandatory for me.

Awesome Gravesbass, hope we can connect! Yeah I've been poring over the schedule and even if I managed to be there all day every day there's no way to see everything.

I'll be there also and it looks like my first stop will be the Dingwall booth!!!
Some things to note for 1st timers ...
1) wear comfy shoes, you'll be on your feet and walking about all day, and likely partying most evenings. Not many places to sit and rest either. Bring mucho ibuprophen.
2) do yourself a favor and carry a couple each of Band-aid brand toe and heel blister bandages. You may laugh about that until you need them and have to walk from the convention center to the Walgreen's a 1/2 mile from the hall.
3) stay hydrated, bring along fluids and snacks. You can bring in just about whatever you want except musical instruments/gear, pro movie cameras and strollers.
4) you'll stand in line forever for food and refreshments and pay exorbitant prices for both. See #3 above.
5) download the NAMM app to your phone and plan an itinerary of the vendors and events you want to check out. The NAMM webpage has a great interactive map so you can find out who is where. Always best to start at one end of the convention and work your way across.
6) lastly, but maybe most importantly, do not be disappointed in the lack of left-handed anything!!! Taylor, Fender, Carvin (Kiesel), Sandberg are usually your best bets. Otherwise it's hit and miss.
P.S. try to get in as early in the day as you can. It's always unbelievably crowded after 12 noon.
P.P.S. bring earplugs!!!

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 3:45 pm 

Good tips!
I will be there this year too so if you guys have time and wanna hang out would be great!

PostPosted: January 24th, 2018, 8:10 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Moses wrote:
Jeroen wrote:

I'll be there also and it looks like my first stop will be the Dingwall booth!!!
Some things to note for 1st timers ...
1) wear comfy shoes, you'll be on your feet and walking about all day, and likely partying most evenings. Not many places to sit and rest either. Bring mucho ibuprophen.
2) do yourself a favor and carry a couple each of Band-aid brand toe and heel blister bandages. You may laugh about that until you need them and have to walk from the convention center to the Walgreen's a 1/2 mile from the hall.
3) stay hydrated, bring along fluids and snacks. You can bring in just about whatever you want except musical instruments/gear, pro movie cameras and strollers.
4) you'll stand in line forever for food and refreshments and pay exorbitant prices for both. See #3 above.
5) download the NAMM app to your phone and plan an itinerary of the vendors and events you want to check out. The NAMM webpage has a great interactive map so you can find out who is where. Always best to start at one end of the convention and work your way across.
6) lastly, but maybe most importantly, do not be disappointed in the lack of left-handed anything!!! Taylor, Fender, Carvin (Kiesel), Sandberg are usually your best bets. Otherwise it's hit and miss.
P.S. try to get in as early in the day as you can. It's always unbelievably crowded after 12 noon.
P.P.S. bring earplugs!!!

AAAAAANNNDDDDDD.... Most importantly a small bottle of Purell Hand Sanitizer. :D

See some of you there maybe. Ill be rolling in this evening. I plan to visit Bill's Hipshot booth so if wee could coordinate a meet there that would be cool. Earlier in the day the better.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2018, 6:16 pm 

What amazed me the first time I went, was the fact that there were Five Floors to cover! I usually started on the ground floor (lots of small manufacturers down there) as there was a lot of interesting items/basses to check out... prepare to do a LOT of walking, and space all you want to see over at least two days, although three is better. And don't forget to go to the evening bass jams and events located around the vicinity of the Convention Center... You're going to have a Great Time! Please post pictures if you can.... :)

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 1:37 pm 

How's our NAMM contingent doing? Y'all too busy to post :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 26th, 2018, 1:52 pm 

tim wrote:

They’re too busy counting the companies who are shafting lefties again :(

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2018, 12:21 pm 

Matt R. wrote:
tim wrote:

LOL perhaps. So far I have played an fbass and the new Dingwall. They were both great. The fanned frets feel a little funky but didn't seem to actually trip me up while playing at all. The Fbass I literally dreamed about last night and will have to go back to play again today :P

Lots of pics, no time to upload!

I think this is the same bass they brought this year... the only thing not perfect about it, for me, is the sunburst. But it plays like an absolute dream and is quite light, too.
https://reverb.com/item/6653156-f-bass-bn5-lefty-namm2017

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 1:17 am 

I wonder if the new Dingwall D bird will come in lefty? Man alive, those are sweet! I've never had a GAS attack quite like that. Talk about a new take on a classic. Wow!

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 8:33 pm 

tim wrote:

my feet hurt too much to post. ow ow ow owo ow
You can check out my FB album, it's open to the public.
I got to play the Dingwall. couldn't hear for shit with the surrounding cacophony, but it did feel cool to play. It would take me some getting used to playing in the 1st position.
I also really dug the 4x10 and 3x10 Bergantiono cabs. Love Jim's gear, he knows what he's doing.
I was surprised to see D'Angelico bring a lefty version of everything they make left handed. They win my award for best in show display-wise :-)

Here's the link, and feel free to send friend requests! https://www.facebook.com/marc.bergeron.5/media_set?set=a.10213366174643132&type=3

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 8:36 pm 

Moses wrote:
Matt R. wrote:
tim wrote:

LOL perhaps. So far I have played an fbass and the new Dingwall. They were both great. The fanned frets feel a little funky but didn't seem to actually trip me up while playing at all. The Fbass I literally dreamed about last night and will have to go back to play again today :P

Lots of pics, no time to upload!

I think this is the same bass they brought this year... the only thing not perfect about it, for me, is the sunburst. But it plays like an absolute dream and is quite light, too.
https://reverb.com/item/6653156-f-bass-bn5-lefty-namm2017

If it is the same bass, they changed the pup covers. I had to put on shades to cut down the glare from the covers :lol:

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 11:53 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Here's the link, and feel free to send friend requests! https://www.facebook.com/marc.bergeron.5/media_set?set=a.10213366174643132&type=3

Wow, those ESP guitars and especially the singlecut basses look slick! I had to check twice before I recognized the headstock logo. Those are some insane top woods! Great pics.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 7:34 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
feel free to send friend requests!

My only request is to find out that Music Man won't offer the 2018 Stingray in lefty so I can stop thinking about it :D

PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 3:08 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
tim wrote:

my feet hurt too much to post. ow ow ow owo ow
You can check out my FB album, it's open to the public.
I got to play the Dingwall. couldn't hear for shit with the surrounding cacophony, but it did feel cool to play. It would take me some getting used to playing in the 1st position.
I also really dug the 4x10 and 3x10 Bergantiono cabs. Love Jim's gear, he knows what he's doing.
I was surprised to see D'Angelico bring a lefty version of everything they make left handed. They win my award for best in show display-wise :-)

Thanks for the link, and all the great pictures... seems like there was a fair amount of lefty - guitars anyways! :)

PostPosted: January 30th, 2018, 8:49 pm 

AzWhoFan: Very cool pics, thanks for putting them up!
I added you on FB as well!
I also have to put an album together, as soon as I get to do that I'll post it here.
There's lots of videos in my phone too, once I get them on Youtube Ill post the links here!

PostPosted: January 31st, 2018, 11:10 am 

For your viewing pleasure-

Attachments:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 297.17 KiB | Viewed 16291 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 326.87 KiB | Viewed 16291 times ]
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 268.66 KiB | Viewed 16291 times ]