LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:03 pm

Post subject: Quick release foam mute?
PostPosted: June 18th, 2016, 5:33 am 

I use a piece of foam as a mute on a few songs throughout my band's set, however, installing it/removing it is not very quick and I have a predicament now where I need to flip between muted and unmuted within a song(s). I've tried the 'ole heel of the hand/palm mute with the left hand to get me close, but that really limits your mobility, especially if you want to be plucking up near the heel of the neck.

So, does anybody make some sort of device that can quickly mute/unmute with the flick of a switch? I used to have this thing called the Fretless Wizard that sat over the top of the strings and with a switch of a lever these little saddles would lower down and :kiss" the strings just enough to make them buzz, simulating a fretless bass. Worked pretty well too. (The same company made one for guitar called the Raga Master that made your guitar sound like a sitar).

Post subject: Re: Quick release foam mute?
PostPosted: June 18th, 2016, 5:59 am 

Bass Mute (made by Dutch luthier Ellio Martina, great guy).
Also closest thing to no note sharpening.

His retro website

PostPosted: June 18th, 2016, 10:16 am 

Ive been wanting to check out a "Fump" for a little while...

http://www.gruvgear.com/fump

Not exactly what you're looking for but a lot easier than installing a chunk of foam.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: June 19th, 2016, 7:51 pm 

Addison wrote:
Ive been wanting to check out a "Fump" for a little while...

http://www.gruvgear.com/fump

Not exactly what you're looking for but a lot easier than installing a chunk of foam.

I did find that one as well. Some of the reviews seem to be poor and consistent in their negative opinion: mutes the strings TOO much. I did see one guy mention how he modified his by unscrewing it and removing one of the inner foam pieces. So maybe I'll give it a shot.

J-meister wrote:
Bass Mute (made by Dutch luthier Ellio Martina, great guy).
Also closest thing to no note sharpening.

His retro website

$100 US ouch. That's a bit more than I want to spend, though it does look decently made.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2016, 10:54 pm 

Although I like the design/concept of the Dutch-made bass mute, considering the parts involved, it's a tad too expensive, and for some basses, may not work - either because there's not enough space for it between the bridge and pickup, or it may be too tall, and require a shim under the neck, which, I'm sure some of you aren't willing to to....

Sometimes youtube can be your best friend; and in this case, I came across a muting concept that you can either buy, or, if you look at the pictures carefully, you can probably make this mute on your own... http://www.bassmuteclamp.com... it looks deceptively simple, and I'm sure it is easy to make. In fact, I've been wanting a muting alternative myself, and this looks like the best idea I've seen yet...

The Gruv Gear Fret Wrap is a great idea, as demonstrated here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BpkT4fDUM - but I don't do tapping etc., and don't want it cramping my fingers on the first fret....

Anyway, hope this gives you some ideas...

PostPosted: June 20th, 2016, 3:00 am 

pjmuck wrote:
I need to flip between muted and unmuted within a song(s).

pjmuck wrote:
..quickly mute/unmute with the flick of a switch?

Expensive as it may seem (money is just a matter of time), these quotes describe exactly what sets that Bassmute apart. Plus it has the least amount of note sharpening.

No affiliation at all, but I'm looking into this myself, at the moment. Next jazz school year, I want to be able to switch between short sustain (walking bass) and long sustain (solo). :)

PostPosted: June 21st, 2016, 2:07 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
The Gruv Gear Fret Wrap is a great idea, as demonstrated here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BpkT4fDUM - but I don't do tapping etc., and don't want it cramping my fingers on the first fret....

The muting in that video is being done with his palm.

A fret wrap isn't a playable mute like PJ is talking about, where it turns notes into a more dull thud. A fret wrap is designed to keep other strings from vibrating and making noise while playing complex passages where it's difficult to keep them quiet using just your hands.

It basically helps you to play clean.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 3:00 am 

How about some good ol' Fender Jaguar Mute? :)
(involves drilling though)

Talkbass thread about Jaguar Mute

PostPosted: July 17th, 2016, 10:51 am 

So I ended up ordering the Gruv Fump. Long story short: while it offers an interesting sound I agree with most reviews: it mutes the strings far too much and is not what I was looking for. I'm going to play around with different ways to mod it, since it does screw apart, so you can remove some of the muting velcro (yes, it uses velcro above/below the strings not foam) and try different materials/thickness, but I'd say at $20 it was a bust.

However, I found a surprisingly simple, inexpensive solution (albeit not the prettiest) to my needs. I purchased a roll of adhesive backed weather stripping foam tape which can be cut to size. I've been cutting a piece approximately the size of the bridge and adhering it to the heel of my bass so it hangs off the side for easy removal, then when I need to use it, I simply peel it off the bass and stick it right to the top of the strings. Takes about 1 second to do and the sound is EXACTLY what I was looking for. When I'm done muting, I just peel it off the strings and either stick it back to the bass heel, throw it away, or put the adhesive paper peel back on it for future use. :)

PostPosted: July 17th, 2016, 2:45 pm 

To the patent office!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2017, 8:50 pm 

Sorry to open an older thread but....
Personally, I used foam for years but got tired of "foaming up" then taking it out, putting it back...yada, yada, yada.
There's a technique called "fret muting" that's really great if you'll take a couple of weeks to learn it.
I'm a slow learner and that's all it took for me.
You simply fret the string directly on top of the fret. Or use two fingers to fret the sting...one on each side of the fret.
The finger on the nut side of the fret presses harder and the other finger on the back side acts as the mute. You'll get some fret buzz at first and some really wonky sounds
but after some practice you'll find so many ways to articulate notes it's mind blowing. Foam can't come close to the various voicing's you can get and the speed at which you can change back to regular playing. Just don't give up on the learning process!

Good luck man,
Glenn in Texas