LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:17 pm

Post subject: Ampeg PF500 - $350 Shipped
PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 5:24 pm 

Hey guys,

Got my hands on a Mesa M-Pulse 600 so something's gotta go.

PF500 is nice and loud and sounds extremely "Ampeg" in every setting. I have run it side by side with an SVT and with a couple tweeks you can make it a pretty close replica to a true SVT tone.

$350 shipped to Canada or USA.

Post subject: Re: Ampeg PF500 - $350 Shipped
PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 1:53 pm 

Nevermind. I fired this little bad boy up again and forgot how much I like it.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 4:44 pm 

bigevilrobot wrote:

That's totally me. My trick is when I list something, I box it up right away and bring it into the office.

But sometimes it backfires. I ordered an Ashdown CTM-15 less than a week after listing the Little Bastard :P

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 10:28 pm 

bigevilrobot wrote:

Hey BErobot, I'd like to ask a question about that 500.

I had the opportunity to play through the PF 350 and I really loved it. Definitely had the recognizable Ampeg response to it. But I'd like a little more juice than the 350. The thing is that the 350 has that very simple Ampeg style tone control layout. The 500 is has more elaborate controls and I'm concerned that it may not capture that Ampeg vibe and tonal response as well as the the 350 does. You obviously like your 500. Your comment that it sounds extremely "Ampeg" and gets with the SVT vibe are encouraging. Any further thoughts? I might have to track down a 500.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 11:04 pm 

The controls on the PF500 are more or less the same as what is on the modern SVT-CL models. It's very very easy to dial in a typical Ampeg tone. For the most part I run the EQ with the bass at 6, mid at 5, treble at 6, and the "Low" switch engaged. I use the 5 position mid-voice to adjust between different basses. Which is for the most part how I would run an SVT.

Only thing that I really find is annoying is the gain past 6 doesn't really drive too much more and just becomes fizzy with certain pickup types (actives and G&L MFDs).

ADSR wrote:
bigevilrobot wrote:

Hey BErobot, I'd like to ask a question about that 500.

I had the opportunity to play through the PF 350 and I really loved it. Definitely had the recognizable Ampeg response to it. But I'd like a little more juice than the 350. The thing is that the 350 has that very simple Ampeg style tone control layout. The 500 is has more elaborate controls and I'm concerned that it may not capture that Ampeg vibe and tonal response as well as the the 350 does. You obviously like your 500. Your comment that it sounds extremely "Ampeg" and gets with the SVT vibe are encouraging. Any further thoughts? I might have to track down a 500.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 9:58 am 

ADSR wrote:
I might have to track down a 500.

Hi ADSR,

I have a PF-500 that I'd sell you if your interested. I've had it for about 3 years, and I've literally only put in less than 10 hours playing time on it. Yup, less than 10 hours. (I've been meaning to sell it for a while, I simply don't use it because I have other Ampeg amps.) It wasn't stored perfectly so there are scratches on the top and bottom of the amp from things rubbing against it (and a lame attempt years ago to cover over the bottom scratches with a black Sharpie; no dings, just scratches -- see the photos, I can take more if needed. Besides the scratches, I'd say it's perfect. I'd sell for $320 shipped to USA. PM me if interested. (And sorry for hijacking the post; seems relevant, but I'm happy to post my own listing if needed.)

Richard

Attachments:
Ampeg PF500 bottom1.jpg
Ampeg PF500 bottom1.jpg [ 340.91 KiB | Viewed 8486 times ]
Ampeg PF500 top.jpg
Ampeg PF500 top.jpg [ 485.78 KiB | Viewed 8486 times ]
PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 6:38 pm 

rdavidson wrote:
ADSR wrote:
I might have to track down a 500.

Hi ADSR,

I have a PF-500 that I'd sell you if your interested... I'd sell for $320 shipped to USA. PM me if interested. (And sorry for hijacking the post; seems relevant, but I'm happy to post my own listing if needed.)

Richard

Thanks Richard,
I don't think there's any worry about hijacking since he's decided not to sell. I'm not ready to buy right now, I don't have the cash together. You might still want to re-post this under a new thread anyway if you want to sell it.

I'm not completely convinced about the tone. I'm sure the PF500 sounds great. There is obviously more tone control options on the PF500 but I'd be more interested if it just had the 350's simpler controls with a bigger kick. I'm gonna have to test drive a 500 somewhere before I take the plunge.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2017, 12:09 am 

Bumping back up, this is available again with a price drop

$300 shipped to Canada or USA

PostPosted: June 18th, 2017, 1:06 pm 

Woosh. Gone.