LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 7:04 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Please say hello
PostPosted: December 9th, 2015, 3:31 pm 

I suppose that for my 60th post I will introduce myself. Hi!

I started out on woodwinds in elementary school and switched to bass when I got too sick to leave the house for a few months. I got it into my head that I wanted an acoustic bass guitar. A friend said "You can have mine." I said, "You have an acoustic??" He said, "No, but the electronics are shot, so it sort of is." He gave me his black Squier P with tooth marks (and a good story to go with them), and I gutted it and put in new EMGs. But as much as I loved listening to and making music, I couldn't figure out how to fit it into my life, and drifted away from it in lieu of other pursuits. A few years ago I picked the bass up again for a while--and tried pretending to be a righty--but drifted away again. So between 1995 and 2014 I played for a total of maybe three or four years.

Last fall I asked for a guitar for my birthday, and got a Dean EABC. But I approached playing differently this time and decided to tinker until I had the feel and sound I wanted. After going through about $200 worth of strings I finally discovered that I HATE round wound strings--the sound, the feel, everything. I found a set of flats that I love (Chromes) and put them on everything. If only I had discovered 20 years ago that I wasn't stuck with piano strings!

Anyway, enough bio. My arsenal now includes: Dean EABC, Squier P/J with EMG-GZRs, G&L L-2000 Tribute, and a Hohner B2B headless. And just for fun, here is a little wishlist I keep in my head, in order of how likely I am to buy each:

* Squier Vintage Mod J (another platform for experimentation, plus every arsenal needs a "J")

* G&L SB-2

* A 34" (or maybe 32") scale arch-top hollow-body

* Boulder Creek acoustic

* Gibson EB-3L (a righty feels fine to me)

* Stingray HH (I played a righty and loved everything about it, so I dream of one day chopping up a lefty H to create my unicorn)

Finally, a big thanks to everyone for all I've learned from this forum over the past year or so.

Cheers,

-tim

PostPosted: December 9th, 2015, 9:33 pm 

Hello there! It's pretty nice to have a bass forum to just us lefties! I play both right handed and left handed basses. Mostly my fender Frankn p bass!

PostPosted: December 10th, 2015, 7:43 am 

Precision303 wrote:
Hello there! It's pretty nice to have a bass forum to just us lefties! I play both right handed and left handed basses. Mostly my fender Frankn p bass!

Hi! Any pictures of the Frankn P? I love project instruments.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2016, 1:21 pm 

Feeling guilty about committing the faux paw of going to the for sale section first, without introducing myself.

My first guitars were right handed, which were given to me by a family friend through a guitarist who would later be in Godsmack. Weird aside, I know. I played them upside down, and quickly realized I needed a LH instrument. I went on to jazz school for guitar, played in various touring bands out of Chicago. I started playing bass about 10 years ago, and I haven't looked back.

I love Fugazi, Shellac, but also lots of jazz, instrumental bands like Om, and Grails. I'm also a big fan of Justin Meldal-Johnsen and Jamerson.

Cheers

PostPosted: February 16th, 2016, 5:18 pm 

virtaGo wrote:
Feeling guilty about committing the faux paw of going to the for sale section first, without introducing myself.

Don't feel bad about that, buddy! When you see a bass that catches your eye, you have to go for it! Worry about the formalities later! I did the same thing at RickResource.com when, to my fantastic delight, only a few days after joining, a sweet lefty '86 Midnight Blue 4003 appeared! Snatching that baby up was my first post over there.

We are glad to have you join us!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 8:54 am 

Oi! Newbie here, both to the forum and bass in general! I'm actually right-handed but I play lefty because I jacked my left shoulder up back in the 90s launching BMX bikes off dirt piles. Can't support a bass strap on that one anymore, so here I am!

I love ska, punk, and figuring out how to make pretty noises with this hunk of wood and metal I got. (Squier JB 70s Custom)

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 10:03 am 

2ToneIdiot wrote:
Oi! Newbie here, both to the forum and bass in general! I'm actually right-handed but I play lefty because I jacked my left shoulder up back in the 90s launching BMX bikes off dirt piles. Can't support a bass strap on that one anymore, so here I am!

I love ska, punk, and figuring out how to make pretty noises with this hunk of wood and metal I got. (Squier JB 70s Custom)

Welcome! We're a pretty tight-knit bunch of regulars here. I'm still figuring out how to make pretty noises out of the fifteen basses I own.

Where you located?

pete

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 10:25 am 

Poughkeepsie, NY! I actually rep a sticker on my bass. Spent some time out in Los Angeles, plan to get back there someday. Lemme just update my profile with my location, haha. Thanks for the welcome, still learning and looking forward to getting to know you bunch!

(I've since added Fender black plastic knobs)

Attachments:
13654210_1012507708867352_4515278525809646097_n.jpg
13654210_1012507708867352_4515278525809646097_n.jpg [ 65.06 KiB | Viewed 52621 times ]

PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 7:34 am 

Greeting and salutations!

Just a friendly 'Hello' from a new member (And fellow lefty bass player).

Hailing from the North (Not beyond the wall, but close), Denmark to be more precise - which is located in Scandinavia for the curious.

Employed in the Navy for 16 years (Yikes!) and lucky enough to 'travel' around the world, getting lucky with the discovery of a hidden gem (I always scour the local newspapers for left handed instruments the day before we get shore leave ('Liberty' for you Yanks)).

Currently playing a 4-string Music Man Stingray lefty :)

And yes, it goes with me to sea and deployments - Instruments are meant to be used and loved, not put on display (Just my humble opinion).

PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 7:37 am 

NordicBard wrote:
Instruments are meant to be used and loved, not put on display (Just my humble opinion).

PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 10:20 am 

Welcome to the bunch, guys! :)

PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Yes, welcome to the board everyone. :)

PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 1:23 pm 

welcome gentlemen! Hope you enjoy your stay with us,

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 8:00 pm 

Hello all, I'm Frank and I'm a righty playing lefty. As far as bad habits go, I play with the E string on the bottom. I live way out in WA state just about halfway between Portland and Seattle and am singing and bass playin in a three piece, called Action Figures. We do originals and the occasional cover. Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 9:08 pm 

Tedshouse1 wrote:
Hello all, I'm Frank and I'm a righty playing lefty. As far as bad habits go, I play with the E string on the bottom. I live way out in WA state just about halfway between Portland and Seattle and am singing and bass playin in a three piece, called Action Figures. We do originals and the occasional cover. Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Welcome to the forum Frank! What type of bass are you playing, and through what type of amp and cabinet?

PostPosted: September 8th, 2016, 9:32 pm 

Welcome to the board Frank!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 7:52 am 

Hi Frank, welcome aboard!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 9:52 am 

Good band name. Welcome!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 10:37 am 

Good morning all,
Bad news, I have one bass, ( I know I know!) A Mexican made jazz bass w/ an all maple mighty mite neck, Gotoh bridge and a Seymour Duncan bridge pup. I'd like to be playin on a P Bass but the Jazz basses seem to be way easier to score

I'm playing through a GK combo amp, the 200 watt amp that weighs 39lbs.

My influences are California punk, Duff Mckagan, blues, and pretty much anything in 6/8 time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YpX2k1-e_RA

Here's a clip from a recent charity event

PostPosted: September 9th, 2016, 2:45 pm 

It's never bad news if you have one bass. Bad news is having no bass at all :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next