LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:55 am

Post subject: Not specifically lefty but...
PostPosted: October 11th, 2015, 10:04 pm 

...and not even on sale but...

Read lots of positive reviews, offers lots of functionality and costs only $50...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXO ... ge_o00_s00

Wanted to share.

Just ordered one for me!

Post subject: Re: Not specifically lefty but...
PostPosted: October 12th, 2015, 10:32 am 

Let us know what you think about it 'cause i'm curious as well since i'm looking for a small footprint milt-effects pedal too. I had considered the Zoom MS60B, since I like the single pedal look of it. And frankly, I don't use effects much, but there's a few songs where I do need an effect here and there so if it's halfway decent sounding I might take the plunge.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2015, 10:48 am 

Will let you know!

Same here, I do not use effects too much. I bought it because it allows me to plug in my phone or iPad with headphones and practice with music. I also liked the fact that you have drum samples to play along and last, the fact that you can make a short recording.

For $49.00 it is worth trying, especially since other buyers seem to be very happy with it...

PostPosted: October 14th, 2015, 11:11 pm 

Received the unit yesterday so I had time to play for an hour or so.

Pretty intuitive menu: I have not figured out all functions yet, but was able to at least try the different sounds, the drums and the headphones/aux without reading the manual.

All-in-all it does what I want well. The pedal is dead quiet on 99% of the preprogrammed sounds, except for one or two that where obviously more tuned towards the trebles. A bit of hiss, but not much.

As I mentioned, I did not buy this pedal for the effects and will probably only use 3 or 4 of them. Most are very synthesized sounds, not my cup of tea anyway.

I LOVE the preprogrammed drum rhythms. It makes for much more fun to play and most importantly, keeps the tempo of my playing. Through my Markbass 121 combo, the drums and bass played together make a very full sound.

I also like the fact that I can practice with headphones and with my iPad plugged in as well. The only negative here, was a bit of lack of volume: by having it max on both the pedal and the bass, it won't blow your headphones for sure... I wish it could be a bit louder.

Otherwise, another negative you will often read is the lack of a metal housing. Yes, it is plastic and I would have preferred metal, but it does not feel flimsy, and for less than $50 I can not expect everything.

For the money, I prefer this - great sound and functionality in a "crappy" housing - than "crappy" electronics in a great metallic housing...

As for footprint it is about an inch longer than my Markbass Compressore but an inch less wide.

And since this unit is also a compressor and I have been pulling my hair trying to make the MB work to my liking, I have sold the MB today and will keep this pedal only. It is enough for my non-professional, at-home, needs.

All-in-all highly recommend, you really get your money's worth.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2015, 6:14 am 

I just got one of these about a month or so ago. It is a GREAT practice tool for all of the reasons that Yolly mentioned. I can run my Iphone or Microsoft surface and run songs through my rig, and play right along. This is fantastic since I play at different church anywhere between 1-4 times a week and our band leader (my wife) sends out youtube links to give us a sense of how she wants things to go. I can play along and not have to guestimate too much on how we will have to change when we go live. The drum machine is also fun and usable. It sounded way better through my amp than I thought it would. I use it through my headphones, and that has been fantastic as a late at night practice option.

The amp sims are pretty decent, but I was not able to use it as a straight preamp. So for example, I was running the GK sim through my tonehammer input stage, and it would not bypass the Tonehammer's preamp. So I got an interesting combination of my Tonehammer and the GK sound. Not bad, maybe I just needed a poweramp. The thing you have to remember about the amp sims is that they are just that. For example, the Aguilar sim did not sound a lot like my Aguilar TH 500, even though I am running it through my Aguilar.

@PJMuck....I don't know yet how I feel about using this live. I tried using it a couple of times live, and I have been less in love with it just because you have to work through the banks of patches to get to the one you want. I wanted to try some effects, and used this for some chorus and delay, some trebly overdrive, and some synth. The synths are pretty solid, but accessing them on the fly was tricky. For example, I wanted to run an overdriven sound for a verse, and then return to clean, no problem, but then when I wanted to turn back to chorus for a quite interlude after the song, I had to bump through a few of the patches, including my overdriven setting, and it kind of ruined the mood of the song because of the changes in EQ inherent to using different patches. You might want the B3, with 3 presets you can bank, for live use, but that is just me. This is definitely worth the 50 dollars. I don't know if its worth the 200 of a good overdrive pedal, but definitely worth $50! Hope this helps.