LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:46 pm

Post subject: Regenerate P bass pickup, we have a winner!
PostPosted: November 18th, 2014, 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Rod sent me one of his new P pickups to check out. I tried it in a couple basses, vintage and new. I tend to prefer vintage voiced pickups, my long favorite P pickup in general being the Fralin P pickup.

This newest Regenerate vintage vibed P pickup sounds GREAT. I've tried a lot of different P pickups and this one is excellent. Slightly hotter than a Fralin, it's more present in the mix. It's more balanced and this is particularly noticeable in a pleasant mid presence.

The best description I can give this pickup is it's a cross between a Nordstrand P pickup and an original 70's Fender p pickup. It's a cleaner, clearer voiced version of the pickup in my '77 P (or '73), or conversely a meatier, more mid present/less polite (in a good way) version of a Nordy.

If anyone is considering swapping or upgrading a p pickup I recommend you check out what Rod is making. The dude has seriously good ears and has voiced this new pickup in a way I havn't heard from anyone else (save maybe Ben Lindsey). Subtle differences, but we all know the small things count when we're trying to get the tone in our heads.

Post subject: Re: Regenerate P bass pickup, we have a winner!
PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 7:20 am 

Nice review, Andrew. Are these the same PUPs that Rod was selling at a discount to forum members a year or so ago? I ordered both the P and J PUPS but still haven't installed them in anything yet. :roll: Was thinking about putting them in the Schecter Model T.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 8:12 am 

Thanks for the review Andrew. I commissioned a bass with Rod and changed my pickups for Nordy's to his own custom hum canceling single coils because he thought that the front pup would get close to a P (as close as you can get with a j bass), but panned evenly would get pretty close to a j without hum. The dude is definitely a P-Bass aficionado and so I trust him implicitly when he says something gets close to a p-bass sound. Given that I will go from funk to country ballad in the same sense the ability to switch tones on board means a lot to me.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

pjmuck wrote:
Nice review, Andrew. Are these the same PUPs that Rod was selling at a discount to forum members a year or so ago? I ordered both the P and J PUPS but still haven't installed them in anything yet. :roll: Was thinking about putting them in the Schecter Model T.

I'm not sure Peter. Rod also does a differently voiced pickup line than these vintage vibed ones.

I'm not sure if there's names for the various pickup types being made. Rod?

PostPosted: November 20th, 2014, 9:13 am 

My Regenerate P Bass PUPs are handwritten in white, "RP4 6 131116" and "RP4 E" respectively.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 10:20 am 

was away on a trip to Maine, and didn't have net access while I was out ...

thanks for sharing your experience Andrew. what you wrote is consistent with feedback I've received from several other players who have made the pickup switch

Quote:

Andrew has a set of our take on a vintage P - we use all of the vintage components (wire, AlNiCo V magnets, and bobbin materials) with a custom wind and potting material with the intension of fine tuning the upper mids just a bit.

The P4 pickup set offered here on LB last year was of our modern P - we use the same magnets, bobbin materials, and potting material as in the vintage set, but the wire and wind pattern is a bit different for increased top end presence an attack. this set is my personal fav for palm muting and pick playing.

Quote:
My Regenerate P Bass PUPs are handwritten in white, "RP4 6 131116" and "RP4 E" respectively

My scribbling actually reads RP4 G on that coil - the 'E' and 'G' designators note which string pair the coil is wound for. No problem if you get them installed opposite when installed as a single P pickup ... but of importance to get installed correctly when the installation is paired with one of our split-coil J4's in a P/J set

and in case you're curious, that set was rolled on Nov 16 2013. the vintage model didn't exist yet, so there is no lower case letter after the RP4. In the past year we have expanded our RP4 offerings to include this set designated as our modern wind (RP4m), a vintage set (RP4v), and a custom set for the Bill Clements signature model (RPJ4bc) which utilizes a RP4m coil set with a custom RJ4 split-coil.

we also have a similar offering in our RJ4 pickups - RJ4m, RJ4v, and RJ4s (split coil). The RJ4bc split-coil wind is subtly different than our standard split-coil, and is only available loaded in a Bill Clements sig model bass.

The RJ4s bridge coil is specifically designed to be paired with a RP4 neck pickup (either M or V flavor), with the goal of minimizing the 'dead zone' you typically get when utilizing a blend knob on a P/J set. Due to several requests we have recently begun offering the RJ4s as a J/J set for those who want a full split-coil configuration for their J basses.

I've been prototyping various coils for the upcoming RP5 offerings, but am not quite satisfied with everything to where I'm ready to offer an initial batch for introductory sale. they are very close to being ready, but there is no deadline date for these to be available.

RJ5 offerings are currently shipping only as a component of our basses. RJ5 pickups will be available for sale without a bass sometime in 2015.

There's a lot of additional R&D going on behind the scenes. Hopefully I'll have more to share on some of this work as new models become available in the coming year

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 9:06 pm 

Cool stuff!!!!!!!!!