LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:38 pm

Post subject: G&L Bass Necks - More Lefties than Righties!
PostPosted: May 24th, 2014, 8:14 am 

G&L is selling tribute series bass necks in their online store, with maple fingerboards only righty and maple or rosewood lefty. Take that righties!

http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/necks

Btw, these should fit USA G&L basses because they have the same neck pockets (since they switched to 6 bolt necks, the older USA G&Ls are different).

Post subject: Re: G&L Bass Necks - More Lefties than Righties!
PostPosted: May 28th, 2014, 9:58 am 

I got one on the way, a 5er w/maple board. For $30, & $25 postage to Japan, it's a steal n if it's no good, it'll make a nice wall deco. I had no idea G&L were making tributes in 5s or with even maple boards, never seen one. I'll let u all know when it gets here n how it looks. Thnx for the tip off!

Warwick b/o Thumb 5/Corvette 5F, Steinberger XL25WL/XL2FL, Ibanez 645/505/506, Tune BassManiac 5, Aria IGB68-5, Hohner B2VA, MM Sterling, Squier VMJ, FauxFender Dinky J, GB Shuttle 3.10T, GK MB200 & 500, Nemesis 410 cab, Korg G5.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2014, 12:32 pm 

Yeah I just picked up a lefty 4 with maple board, 30+30 to ship to Canada. Pretty good deal.

I'm almost wondering if I should grab a couple guitar necks as well for future projects.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2014, 5:26 pm 

Insanely cheap for a new neck! are these proprietary to G&L's, or will they fit in other manufacturers neck pockets? Just wonderin'.... ;)

PostPosted: May 28th, 2014, 10:01 pm 

The G&L bass necks are 6 bolt, so you would have to modify a typical Fender style neck pocket to work.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2014, 2:40 pm 

bigevilrobot wrote:
The G&L bass necks are 6 bolt, so you would have to modify a typical Fender style neck pocket to work.

Thanks... took me a sec to realize what you meant, that the heel is longer, so the neck pocket would have to be extended...

PostPosted: May 29th, 2014, 10:15 pm 

These would be great necks for those building their bass from scratch and had the flexibility/freedom to cut the neck pocket however they wanted (i.e. and not damage an existing professionally made body). The price is so low I am very tempted to get one just to get one.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 2:21 am 

Do it, BZ, ya know ya wanna!!!!!;)

Warwick b/o Thumb 5/Corvette 5F, Steinberger XL25WL/XL2FL, Ibanez 645/505/506, Tune BassManiac 5, Aria IGB68-5, Hohner B2VA, MM Sterling, Squier VMJ, FauxFender Dinky J, GB Shuttle 3.10T, GK MB200 & 500, Nemesis 410 cab, Korg G5.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 8:03 am 

Huh? A lefty 5-string neck? They don't even make lefty Tribute 5-strings. Odd! :)

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2014, 8:26 pm 

It's arrived, it's a lefty 5 string maple board, maple neck with some birds-eye in there, satin sealed, no decal, nut or tuner/neck mount holes but that's how they described it but make no mistake, it IS a lefty! Jeroen, I also couldn't work out why they make these necks when there is no lefty Tribute available in a 5 or with maple board but I got one so now just gotta think about what to do with it. Arrived in Japan in a week bubble wrapped to the hilt & boxed nicely...service plus G&L! Any DIYers need to get in quick before the well runs dry. Excellent from all angles!

PostPosted: June 4th, 2014, 2:50 am 

glefty5 wrote:
It's arrived, it's a lefty 5 string maple board, maple neck with some birds-eye in there, satin sealed, no decal, nut or tuner/neck mount holes but that's how they described it but make no mistake, it IS a lefty!

No wonder it's so cheap! Having to bore tuner holes puts this beyond casual kit status for me... I know some of you out there have mad skills, and the tools to take advantage of a "raw" neck like this.... I'll pass.... :(

PostPosted: June 4th, 2014, 3:19 am 

I just ordered a lefty maple 4 string neck-1-3/4" nut width. 30 bucks? Damn, you can't even buy an EDEN neck for that now!
Any good bass tech with a drill press and a brain, can drill tuner holes. I'm hoping both my brain and drill press are in good working order when mine arrives!
I have sinister (get it?) plans for this neck, if it proves suitable. The heel can be altered to fit a Fender neck pocket, I'm guessing. I'll let you guys know after I look it over.

THANKS bhunt1 for this post and link!

PostPosted: June 9th, 2014, 12:44 am 

I got it three days after ordering it! It arrived well packed, and perfect. Mine had 9/16" tuner holes already drilled. No neck screw holes. No nut. This neck is nicely made, and has all the same characteristics of the Indonesian necks I see frequently in my repair work. Large volute. Fret job is good, seated and good quality... ends are sharp- no biggie. Good machining, no problems....
I'm going to do something very different with this neck... it's going on a slab U.S.A. Custom Guitars Ash '51 Precision/ Telecaster bass body. I shortened the heel, took about a half inch off past the last fret, to get it in the correct position in the scale length... I also had to take about 1/4" out of the rear of the body pocket to adapt it. Hey- 70 bucks for the body- 30 for the neck, and I already have all the parts in my shop to finish it... It'll be a damn good bass, and very cheap to build!

PostPosted: June 9th, 2014, 2:20 pm 

I ordered a 4 string 1.5" nut width. Just arrived today, great looking neck, fretwork is pretty ok (just needs a little dressing), tuner holes routed BML, and there's an absolutely incredible grain on the fingerboard with a hint of birdseye.
Pretty impressed, and still pretty shocked they're letting these necks go for $30

PostPosted: July 6th, 2014, 12:27 am 

To clarify, my neck has the tuner cavity holes drilled, just not the tiny machine head mounting screw holes. Sorry if that was unclear n I still say buy up while u can, it's stoopid cheap!!

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 3:11 am 

Attachment:
File comment: 8-2-14 Low Budget Tele Bass
20140802_021606 crop.jpg
20140802_021606 crop.jpg [ 393.07 KiB | Viewed 7663 times ]
O.K., my super low budget slab '51 'phantom' on acid is done. The $30. G&L Tribute neck is almost untouched- I just had to file the ends- and um, well I did have to remove a section of wood after the last fret, and some from the end of the body's neck pocket to get the neck to be in the correct position for the 34" scale. The body, is supposedly, a swamp ash USA Custom Guitars single pu slab Tele bass, totally unfinished when I got it- for 70 bucks online- maybe even on here? - from someone who had given up on it. I am an Allparts dealer for my repair business... so I gradually accumulated the necessary stuff. Some parts, like the Schaller BM gears, are from other basses from many years ago, and cost me zero to buy now. GREAT, using parts you already have.
The body needed a lot of work, and I wanted a second pickup. So, routed, and drilled all the wire holes- I proceeded to finish it. Remember- the objective was to do this, decently, but super cheap. Two cans of white Rustoleum all purpose primer, wet sanded between coats- no pore sealer! Then, about 4 light coats of "Bauhaus Gold" Krylon, aand two Krylon clear coats. Yeah, sticky. ALL the paint was about $16.00, at Wal-Mart. ONE can of Reranch butterscotch would have been 16 bucks, plus shipping. The pickguard had to be custom fabricated, as nothing is in the 'stock' places as it would be on any bass of this type. But I wanted it to look stock. I got a pice of black poster board, and cut a template. I bought a .060 vinyl pg blank, and transferred the dimensions. The wiring is- master volume, pan pot. I'm going to put a push pull in it, on the master- with a .022 cap on the switch. Most of us don't roll the tone all the way off anyway- just a little treble cut. Anyway, the bass sounds incredible- like a Jazz bass- but with a little something different. The finish looks good on the front, not that great on the back- but it's a deliberate beater.

Last edited by LHBASSIST on August 2nd, 2014, 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 3:19 am 

Another view...

Attachments:
crop 7.jpg
crop 7.jpg [ 511.4 KiB | Viewed 7662 times ]
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 3:37 am 

O.K., sorry for the huge pages! HOW do I get these to display normally without having to use the scroll bars?

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2014, 7:34 am 

I have one for sale posted in the "selling" section if interested...