LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:04 am

Post subject: Re: 1969 LH Mustang Bass tuners
PostPosted: October 14th, 2010, 9:02 pm 

Thanks for posting your pix, LeftyMustangbass. Absolutely stunning, and a once in a lifetime find. Keep that man of yours. ;)

Yeah, that's definitely a screw hole routed into the opposite horn, no doubt for some knucklehead righty who thought it would be cool to play upside down and "look like Hendrix". :roll: You know, this is one of the biggest pet peeves of mine when it comes to finding rare lefties - hoping some idiot righty didn't f*ck with it. They have every bass on the planet to play, so why do they have to go out of their way to screw with what little is out there for us?! :x At any rate it's a fairly common mod with lefties and doesn't really detract significantly from it's value (or playability/sound, obviously). As for the extra hole under the D tuner, I'm not sure what that is. Normally you'd see such a thing if someone installed different tuners at one time that didn't line up with the old holes, but in this case it's just 1 arbitrary hole. :?:

PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 7:31 pm 

Thanks! Glad you liked the pics!
Yep, a once in a lifetime find - the man & the bass! ;)
It is a shame rightys need to tamper with a perfectly good lefty instrument. Gotta watch out for those "knucklehead rightys"! :lol:
I guess the one extra hole under the D tuner plate might not be related to painting/laquering? Mysterious!

PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 6:12 pm 

Quick update - Put on some reg-length Rotosound RS77LD's on - silks wrapped just fine, and it's helped a great deal with the ease of tuning in addition to cutting down some of the buzz I was dealing with (as the string gauges are higher than what I was using before). Still needs fretwork, but it makes a huge difference in wanting to pick up a bass without thinking of the 15 minute tuning process that I'd been going through! Learned a few different muting techniques and am still enjoying my journey with the unicorn. =) Hi ho lefties, away!!!