LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:27 pm

Post subject: GK MB Fusion 800
PostPosted: June 20th, 2015, 9:49 am 

Anyone have any experience with the 800? I hear the 500 is pretty good for headroom but wondering how the 800 is. How is the power in these as I need to be able to push a 412 cab rated at 1200watts/4ohms.

I might be looking for a portable backup to take with me on some road gigs and don't want to bring another Heavy head with me.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: GK MB Fusion 800
PostPosted: June 20th, 2015, 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

I tried the 800MB and while it certainly wasn't quiet, for me it doesn't have the low end beef I want for really loud, heavy/metal tone. Medium volume indie/classic rock this amp would rule.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2015, 9:24 pm 

andrew wrote:
I tried the 800MB and while it certainly wasn't quiet, for me it doesn't have the low end beef I want for really loud, heavy/metal tone. Medium volume indie/classic rock this amp would rule.

Thanks Andrew. I will just stick with my CarbineM9 backup for now. I need the beef and power.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2015, 9:44 pm 

Co-incidentally, I picked one up this week as a backup amp and used it for about 2 hours at home before taking it to this weekend's gigs. As a reference, I used it with a Berg HT/EX 112 stack and my Ric 4003V63. I really dug what it did for the Ric, it yielded up that classic Ric tone, and that was my first experience of a non-tube amp giving up the goods on a Ric. And believe me, I've tried lots of different heads over the years.

As for settings, I had the Master at noon and the gain at about 9 o'clock, maybe just a tad higher. Had the bass at noon, cut back on the treble and low mids a bit, and boosted the high mids to 1 o'clock. IMHO this amp has a much more realistically-rated 800 watts that say the 900 watts a Puma is rated at. I def got the sense that I could damage my cabs if I got too frisky with the gain and volume knobs.

So I think it would hold its own pushing a 412 cab.

As you likely know, the MB Fusion 800 has a baked in modern, zingy tonal profile. It's a very bright and present amp. So I don't know if that profile fits your gig needs. I can tell you I was a tad worried about it being too bright at the gig before I used it. However, that 'zing' translates very well to cutting through a mix in a live situation in your typical bar/club.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2015, 9:34 pm 

Thanks guys. I decided to just take another CarbineM9 as a backup. I need thunderous amps to project what I want. I might get a Fusion 800 down the road. I appreciate the comments....

PostPosted: April 20th, 2019, 8:46 pm 

I have been using the fusion 800 for a while now, u can pick it up with your pinky! I'm pushing a mesa boogie powerhouse 4x12 bass cab 1600watts, and I play heavy metal , drop C tuning, lots of bottom end, growl, and using a few pedals mainly a darkglass B3k, and I can shake the house! Plenty of power and control.