LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:14 am

Post subject: 15" CABS
PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 10:48 am 

I'm really diggin playing through the 15" speaker of the Traynor combo. I'm seriously considering selling my 2 Wizzy 12"s and going back to 2 15 cabs again for larger outdoor venues. I've been looking at 2 Bag End S15D'S. Anyone have any other suggestions? I want 2 cabs for portability and really don't like tweeters/horns so a full range sounding 15 cab would suit my purposes best.

Post subject: Re: 15" CABS
PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 12:20 pm 

I went back to 15's several years ago and that's where I'm staying.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 12:33 pm 

Basshappi wrote:

What cab/cabs are you using?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 12:50 pm 

I've been gassing hard for either a Baer ML115 or Berg NV115 (or both) ((or a pair of each :shock: EEK :shock: )) to go with my Super Bassman 300. I really feel the urge to move away from my 5 year love affair with 12's. Not that there's anything wrong with 12's, it's just that I need to move more air than my drummer does.

Unfortunately, there is just no monies for new gear right now :evil:

What head would you be using wif da 15's?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 12:57 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
I've been gassing hard for either a Baer ML115 or Berg NV115 (or both) ((or a pair of each Unfortunately, there is just no monies for new gear right now :evil:

What head would you be using wif da 15's?

The Baer and Berg are great cabs but a little too high end for my budget. Depending on how efficient the cabs are ( the Bag Ends are VERY) I would either use my GK 700 (480w @4 ohm) or my Hartke LH 1000(a beast when bridged) . I'm looking for a low tech, old school sound and the Hartke tone stack eq delivers that in spades. I've also looked at the GK Neo 15's and they get pretty good thump for the buck and weigh in the 40 lb range that I'm looking for.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 1:21 pm 

I'm not really into 15's myself but I'd check out the Fender Bassman Neo 115. http://www.fender.com/en-CA/series/bassman-pro/bassman-115-neo-blacksilver/

The reviews are great. It's less than 45lbs and comes with casters. Plus, I don't think they're very expensive. It does have a horn but it can be attenuated down to zero.

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 4:01 pm 

jayceofbass wrote:
I'm not really into 15's myself but I'd check out the Fender Bassman Neo 115. http://www.fender.com/en-CA/series/bassman-pro/bassman-115-neo-blacksilver/

The reviews are great. It's less than 45lbs and comes with casters. Plus, I don't think they're very expensive. It does have a horn but it can be attenuated down to zero.

Another good option. And despite what the big internet retailers tell you, you can usually get or find a 15% discount off of the regular MAP.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 4:16 pm 

jersey bluesdude wrote:
Basshappi wrote:

What cab/cabs are you using?

Old Genz-Benz, both 1x15 & 2x15
I have an Ampeg BA115HP that gets a lot of use too.
I still have my old Acoustic 2x15 cab too. If I can ever afford a pair of JBL140's I'll put them in there.

Those Bag Ends should serve very well, but there are actually some very good 15 cabs out there these days.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 4:18 am 

Thanks guys. I'm also looking at the Genz Benz Focus 15's. Pretty lightweight for non neo speakers.

Last edited by jersey bluesdude on June 25th, 2014, 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 5:05 am 

jayceofbass wrote:

Yeah it's hard to find 15 cabs these days without a horn/tweeter but most of them can be turned off via a switch or attenuator.. The Fenders look nice and the reviews are good but the cloth speaker cover worries me. I prefer a metal grill. I'm pretty rough with my cabs and play about 100 gigs a year, many of them outdoor gigs, and haul my own stuff in and out. I know I would tear up that cover in 2 gigs or less. :(

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 7:44 am 

I love the Berg NV 115 and would have bought it if not for the fact that it did not have a tweeter. I do some slapping from time to time and needed the tweeter. The pick tone with the Aguilar TH I had was amazing. It did old school wonderfully, and played very nicely with a tube amp that the shop had. It did not play so nicely with the Puma TECAMP.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 10:15 am 
Site Admin

I own a pair of Bag End S15D cabs. They only get used in one band but I love them. Portable, compact and they sound killer. They are all about sitting well in a mix. I wouldn't recommend them if your goal is reggae deep lows but I have them specifically as part of an old school portable rig, which is the pair of Bag Ends, a G-K 800RB and a p-bass. Add a chorus pedal and a pick and you have 80's bass tone for days.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 10:28 am 

andrew wrote:
I own a pair of Bag End S15D cabs. They only get used in one band but I love them. Portable, compact and they sound killer. They are all about sitting well in a mix. I wouldn't recommend them if your goal is reggae deep lows but I have them specifically as part of an old school portable rig, which is the pair of Bag Ends, a G-K 800RB and a p-bass. Add a chorus pedal and a pick and you have 80's bass tone for days.

Thanks, Andrew. I play P Basses almost exclusively nowadays (since I only own 4 basses and 3 are P'S , the other a Steinberger XL2) My only concern with the Bag Ends would be pushing enough low end. Most of my gigs currently are in a 3 piece format of bass,guitar and a pretty heavy hitting drummer so I need to move some air. I would really like to try the Bag Ends in a band setting but not a lot of dealers sell them and those that do don't have them in stock. (at least not near me) Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 10:48 am 

I know a lot of guys hate them but I've always thought the Hartke 115XL cabs got a great low end tone. They're really inexpensive new ($350.) but they weigh in at 63 lbs. Anyone think one cab would be enough?

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 12:59 pm 

jersey bluesdude wrote:
Yeah it's hard to find 15 cabs these days without a horn/tweeter but most of them can be turned off via a switch or attenuator.. The Fenders look nice and the reviews are good but the cloth speaker cover worries me. I prefer a metal grill. I'm pretty rough with my cabs and play about 100 gigs a year, many of them outdoor gigs, and haul my own stuff in and out. I know I would tear up that cover in 2 gigs or less. :(

To be honest, I'm exactly the same way. Plus, I tour a lot. That's a lot of in and outs of the van/trailer. But, I decided not to limit my choices by getting Susan at Studio Slips to make clamshell covers for everything I own. They are way easier and lighter than actual road cases and really keep things safe. I have them for my two Aguilar DB112 cabs, my Fender Super Bassman 300 head - in the double padded version - and my Fender Neo 610 cab. All of these cabs/amps have been moved around ALOT. But, they all look like new. The actual covers have taken a beating and don't look new but they certainly protect. I highly recommend this for anyone. Helps the resale value as well.

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: June 27th, 2014, 6:01 am 

I've decided to buy 2 15" 8 ohm Eminence Legend CB158's and load them into 2 Flite Sound cabs that I have. Problem solved at a cost of only $270. This way I can keep the 2 Wizzy 12's and have a pair of lightweight 15's w/out tweeters. And I could run all 4 cabs with the Hartke LH1000 if I ever need to get stupid loud. Thanks to all for your input.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2014, 12:41 pm 

Welcome back into the fold my prodigal brother! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 27th, 2014, 12:43 pm 

Basshappi wrote:
Welcome back into the fold my prodigal brother! :mrgreen:

Thanks. Good to be back. :lol:

PostPosted: June 27th, 2014, 4:09 pm 

jersey bluesdude wrote:
I've decided to buy 2 15" 8 ohm Eminence Legend CB158's and load them into 2 Flite Sound cabs that I have. Problem solved at a cost of only $270. This way I can keep the 2 Wizzy 12's and have a pair of lightweight 15's w/out tweeters. And I could run all 4 cabs with the Hartke LH1000 if I ever need to get stupid loud. Thanks to all for your input.

Inexpensive decision, re-purposing cabinets, and you'll still have options... Nice!

PostPosted: June 28th, 2014, 4:40 am 

I see you've made a decision... just wanted to say, I love 15's., prefer them to most all other drivers....and so do a lot of other bassists.
I have a Sunn 215-SH, curved front folded horn. It has 450 watt Eminence Delta LF drivers- 900 watts at 4 ohms. It will knock you off your barstool at 20 feet, and you don't need to worry about being heard in the back of the room, even if it's outdoors!
I am eventually going to buy a Mesa Diesel 15. They are GREAT Thiele boxes, no horns, and usually came with a nice EV speaker. I dig them, every time I play through one at a jam... upside is that they're usually pretty cheap in big cities. downside, is they are pretty heavy.
I absolutely loved the Schroeder PL 15's I've played through.
I'll bet the Mesa Powerhouse 15's are great too.