LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:45 pm

Post subject: Traynor Small Block combos
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2014, 12:53 pm 

Has anyone tried the new Traynor SB combos? I'm looking at the SB115 combo to use on duo gigs. At 31 lbs.it would seem perfect for my 60 year old back. Just wondering how the tone is. I like a nice fat, old school bass tone. I used to own two Yorkville BX115 cabs and they were workhorses and sounded great.Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Traynor Small Block combos
PostPosted: June 4th, 2014, 8:40 am 

I’m looking for a light weight amp and your post led me to this on talk bass.
http://www.talkbass.com/threads/traynor ... ns.989939/

PostPosted: June 4th, 2014, 8:45 am 

Thanks Jim. Great review on TB by one of our own,Crabby. Next step will be to try and play through one. At $499. street price could be just what I've been looking for, for lower volume duo gigs.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2014, 9:56 pm 

You're welcome. Let us know what you think of it. Their web site listed 2 dealers in my area. Those web sites did not list any Traynor amps. I emailed the closest, still waiting for a reply.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2014, 7:37 am 

Played through the SB115 and SB112 last night and was very impressed with the tone. Going to go with the SB115. Picking it up Saturday morning for $499. Super lightweight (31 lbs) and the 200 watts should be more than enough to drive the Eminence 200 watt 15" Neo speaker. Great fat bass tone with the tweeter off. Will most likely never use the tweeter. Loud enough to use on a low key gig with a drummer. Just what I was looking for. May try to work out a trade for some stuff I'm not using to cut the cash outlay.The only feature it lacks that I would like is a tuner out jack. No biggie. Will post more after a real world gig workout. Highly recommend this combo.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2014, 8:25 am 

I'm looking forward to your review.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2014, 8:45 am 

I had a 110 combo that I used for my upright. It was ok, but the little Acoustic 260 110 mini stack I had blew it away

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2014, 5:15 am 

Short review of Traynor SB115 . Played through this combo at a gig Sat. with the full band (guitar,bass and drums) no pa support.Used my P bass. Live sounding auditorium seating about 300 people. Amp had plenty of volume with master set at 1/2 and gain at 1/4. Very similar setting that I use with my GK RB700. Tweeter off treble hi mid and low mid at 10:00 and bass at 2:00. Plenty of headroom and the 15" NEO provided good low end. The really cool feature Imo is the low frequency expander which to my ears functions as a contour or mid cut. With that set at 3:00 (3/4) the amp really shined and got the old school ,fat tone that I prefer. I would recommend this combo for small to medium sized indoor gigs. There is also a DI so it could be used as a stage monitor at a PA supported gig. The combo is really light and well balanced when carrying (31 lbs) and has a top mounted handle. A breeze to lug. Great grab and go combo and priced right at $499.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2014, 12:56 pm 

Jim_k wrote:
You're welcome. Let us know what you think of it. Their web site listed 2 dealers in my area. Those web sites did not list any Traynor amps. I emailed the closest, still waiting for a reply.

Jim, I bought mine at New Jersey Guitar and Bass Center, a couple blocks from my house. They have both the SB112 and SB115 in stock new in box. They also have the SB200 head in stock.http://www.newjerseyguitarandbasscenter ... -Bass.html

PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 1:16 pm 

Thanks for the review & info. There are none locally to try out, but can be ordered. Unfortunately something expensive just came up & a new amp is on hold.