whne i talk about the HLF410, im talking about the old ones
I didnt know about these new "PRO" ones and just looked it up
ewww, they look awful :o

Post subject: Re: AMPEG SVT: 410 hlf vs 410 he vs 1540HE vs 810
PostPosted: May 29th, 2014, 7:14 pm 

andrew wrote:
bugsy wrote:
if you need a 810 for jamming that means you are playing too loud

I disagree. Not all music is meant to be played at comfortable volumes, it really comes down to the style of the band and the personal preference of the players.

each to their own, but i value my hearing later in life, id rather not damage it for the sake of practicing

PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 9:33 am 
Site Admin

bugsy wrote:
andrew wrote:
bugsy wrote:
if you need a 810 for jamming that means you are playing too loud

I disagree. Not all music is meant to be played at comfortable volumes, it really comes down to the style of the band and the personal preference of the players.

each to their own, but i value my hearing later in life, id rather not damage it for the sake of practicing

Sure, it's smart to mind your ears. But there's a tone only achieved by turning up the volume knob and pushing the 810 with your amp.
Better to wear proper ear protection and get the tone/feel that's most satisfying than turn down to practice ear plug free. Plus in heavy music you often need to keep up with with your band mates also wanting to play loudly.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 9:15 pm 

andrew wrote:

each to their own, but i value my hearing later in life, id rather not damage it for the sake of practicing[/quote]

andrew wrote:
Sure, it's smart to mind your ears. But there's a tone only achieved by turning up the volume knob and pushing the 810 with your amp.
Better to wear proper ear protection and get the tone/feel that's most satisfying than turn down to practice ear plug free. Plus in heavy music you often need to keep up with with your band mates also wanting to play loudly.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but what sort of tone is everyone hearing if they have ear plugs in for practice?
I still think if you are pushing 450 watts at full for practice then its too loud, which is what the original poster was asking about as he wanted to be heard at practice. what can a 810 do that a 410 cant paired with a pro3 amp ?
the 810 would be better with a higher wattage head

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2014, 8:38 pm 

Interesting group of inputs here! I'm 51. Been playing live shows since the age of 11.
Hard of hearing. Have back troubles. Etc. Etc. I like the Ampeg line of amps & speakers!
I've wanted an Ampeg setup since my first bass guitar: a 66 AEB-1!!! What I ended up
with (after my Peavey MK IV was stolen) was a Fender 400PS. It's a 90 lb brain that puts
out 435 Watts of all tube old school power. I kept my 18 + 2 x 10 cab on account of it
was too heavy for the thieves to steal when they took the MK IV). I've gotten great deals
on old school heavy equipment on account of all my friends are into modern lightweight
gear these days. I actually wanted an Ampeg 115HP on short notice for a church show.
Had to settle for my 350HP on account of the 400PS is too valuable to lug around these
days. So, I have a lightweight 350W head & the heavyweight is reserved for recording.
Even still, I only play churches & clubs......It's all overkill. 18" speakers are long throw!
That 15" speaker is medium throw - I could settle for that. 10" speakers? IDK. For now
I like a pair of 10s for stage & the bigger speakers for the audience!!!!! Not stirring trouble.
Just stirring conversation!

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2014, 8:30 am 

As much as I am into micro heads for all the advantages they bring, there ain't nuthin' that compares to big iron. The bigger the better IMO. I 've had my Fender Super Bassman 300 for over a year and a half and it still blows all my micro heads out of the water.

It blows my ruptured discs out of the water too, but that's a story for another day ... :)