LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:38 am

Post subject: Current Rig
PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 8:53 am 

I've been using 2 Euphonic Audio Wizzy 12's (8 ohm versions) with a GK 700 RB IV. Cabs are super efficient with plenty of low end.Gets a great old school bass tone with my Fender P'S and plenty loud for most gigs without PA support. Total weight of rig is 77 Lbs which works wonders for my 59 year old back. Still wish I could haul my 1 SVT 8-10 cab with my V4B head but those days are long gone. This rig has replaced my 2 Dr. Bass 15 cabs which I ran with a Fender Bassman 1200 (awesome amp,almost too much power) and to my ears an improvement in tone and less then half the weight.

Post subject: Re: Current Rig
PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 9:08 am 

We need pics!!!!!!!! ;)

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 9:11 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=782U2VE4urs All lefty rhythm section. :lol:

Last edited by jersey bluesdude on January 8th, 2014, 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 9:13 am 

Hey Matt, bass look familiar? :D

Last edited by jersey bluesdude on January 8th, 2014, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 1:23 pm 

Sounding good!
Lefty drummer and a killer equipment truck, way to go! ;) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 1:28 pm 

Thanks! We're having a great time with it.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 4:31 pm 

Excellent job on the promo video. Nice playing too! You guys must get a ton of work.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 4:34 pm 

My Sonic Blue PBASS!!! If you ever sell that thing, I want dibs. I loved that bass. 8-)

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2014, 5:31 am 

Thanks guys. Yea we're pretty busy. Average about 90 gigs per year with this band in the tri-state and PA. Matt ,the P is a great bass and I get a lot of positive comments on the sound as well as the finish.Our lefty drummer is Don Guinta, a great drummer and funny guy who also plays with Jeff Ganz (former Johnny Winter bassist) and Israeli guitarist Oz Noy. Anyone interested can check out our schedule at http://www.raveonband.com Thanks again.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 1:25 am 

I too have stopped dragging my large El Whappo Jr cabinet around to gigs for the past couple of years now in favor of my two single twelve cabs - an AccuGroove Tri-112 (8ohm), and an EA Wizzy (4ohm), ganged and plugged into my Walter Woods head. The Wizzy started out as an 8ohm cab, but after blowing out two OEM speakers, bought an Eminence Delta 12LFA off a friend, and it sounded great, and could be played loud on its own. I eventually blew that speaker up though, and was able to buy a replacement through our fellow member zawinals.

I place the Wizzy on top of the Tri122... The Wizzy is a tighter cab, and the Tri is a bit more "bassy", so the two together works well, and the Woods has no trouble handling the mis-matched ohm-age.... so bottom line, like you, I favor the modular approach these days- especially when there are stairs as part of the load-in! Your band sounds great by the way, and your guitar player can really sing! :)

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 4:35 am 

I've actually gone the other direction and moved back to a 2x15 cab and am seriously considering getting an Ampeg V4B. I really want an SVT but I think I can push a V4B over the edge a lot easier without the volume issues in the size rooms we typically play in. On 95% of the gigs I play I do not have PA support so my amp has to carry the room.

Right now I am using either an Ampeg B2R or a BA115HP combo, I have been happy with these amps and won't ever part with my combo, it has been a real workhorse. But more and more I have been really wanting to hear the type tone that can only be achieved with a full tube amp.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 5:58 am 

If you can handle the weight of the V4B definitely go for it. i've played through alot of rigs in mY 48 years of gigging and in my mind nothing matches the tone of a V4B paired with 1 SVT 8-10 cab. Stand in front of one while playing and it feels like someones punching you in the back. AWESOME! Something about the combo of tubes and sealed cab. Anytime we have a choice for provided back line I always ask for an SVT. Fivebass thanks for your comments. Chris Roselle,our singer/guitarist really can sing and is one of the few guys I know who can sing the Roy Orbison stuff with real credibility.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 6:25 am 

Matt R. wrote:
My Sonic Blue PBASS!!! If you ever sell that thing, I want dibs. I loved that bass. 8-)
Will keep you in mind. It's the perfect bass for this band and I play it on all outdoor gigs. Stays in tune for days.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 7:54 am 

sorry for the minor derail, but if you're looking for that V4B/SVT tone the Fender Super Bassman 300 will get you there. And IIRC, it weighs less than a V4B.
Basshappi wrote:
I've actually gone the other direction and moved back to a 2x15 cab and am seriously considering getting an Ampeg V4B. I really want an SVT but I think I can push a V4B over the edge a lot easier without the volume issues in the size rooms we typically play in. On 95% of the gigs I play I do not have PA support so my amp has to carry the room.

Right now I am using either an Ampeg B2R or a BA115HP combo, I have been happy with these amps and won't ever part with my combo, it has been a real workhorse. But more and more I have been really wanting to hear the type tone that can only be achieved with a full tube amp.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 10:12 am 

+1 on Marc's comment on the Fender Super Bassman 300. I have owned a V4B and a few different versions of SVT's and nothing is as versatile and consistently amazing as this Fender. I use the matching 610 cab and it sounds perfect for what I do. (And for a cab it's size, is ridiculously light at approx. 75lbs. I can easily lift it in and out of my old Saab hatchback by myself.) With the two channels on this amp I don't need to use any other overdrive/distortion/effects at all. Just my tuner and the channel switcher. The only downside to this amp is that I can't get our backline guy in Europe to stock one. (Chalk that up to Fender kinda pooping the bed on bass amps over the past bunch of decades.) That means I still have to run an SVT with a 610 or 810 in the EU and use my EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi for OD.)

But I digress - and derail the thread even further. I agree that for the smaller pick up gigs I do, a smaller set up is better. I use an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 with either one or two Aguilar DB112 cabs for those. If the gig is really small I use just one cab and have even taken transit here in Toronto to get to and from the show. It all fits very neatly and lightly onto a small fold up cart.

I must say though, I try to stay away from chasing the ultimate in "hi-fi tone". It's just been my experience that all that time, money and effort that I used to spend on achieving the perfect tone involving a lot of subtlety is completely lost at the front of house. Especially for rock gigs. (Recording is a different matter of course.) I try to follow the k.i.s.s. method. With enough power and a little EQ knowledge you can achieve your placement in the mix with very few bells and whistles. BUT, that's just my take. I certainly respect everyone's right to chase tone however they see fit. If we all went about things in the exact same way, the world would be a boring place. ;)

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 10:35 am 

Gonna have to try a Bassman 300. I always liked the Fender tone stack eq for it's simplicity and ease of operation. Had a Fender BXR 300 solid state amp back in the early nineties that was a workhorse. Used it on bar gigs (about 60/year) for over 15 years. It NEVER crapped out or needed repair and I sold it for more than I paid for it new! Talk about reliability. The Bassman 1200 was a whole 'nother story. That was a beast that had way too many bells and whistles and was really hard to control especially at lower volume gigs, just too much wattage for the smaller blues gigs we were playing at the time.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 1:02 pm 

Please be aware that there are two 300 watt Fender bass Amps. The one JC and I are talking about is this one, The Super Bassman 300:
http://www.fender.com/amps/bass-amplifiers/super-bassman-120v-black/ , whilst the other one is this guy, which I believe is called the Fender Bassman 300 Pro: http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/fender-bassman-300-pro-142062.jpg . Altogether totally different beasts.

jersey bluesdude wrote:
Gonna have to try a Bassman 300. I always liked the Fender tone stack eq for it's simplicity and ease of operation. Had a Fender BXR 300 solid state amp back in the early nineties that was a workhorse. Used it on bar gigs (about 60/year) for over 15 years. It NEVER crapped out or needed repair and I sold it for more than I paid for it new! Talk about reliability. The Bassman 1200 was a whole 'nother story. That was a beast that had way too many bells and whistles and was really hard to control especially at lower volume gigs, just too much wattage for the smaller blues gigs we were playing at the time.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 1:05 pm 

Kinda figured that. Thanks. The 300 Pro has a similar eq section as the bassman 1200. The Super looks like it utilizes the classic fender tone stack.http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=FEN ... tedIndex=5

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 2:51 pm 

My first tube amp was a Fender Bassman 100 silverface. I loved that amp and would still have it had it not been stolen. I am very interested in the new Fender tube amps but the price is daunting. Perhaps as used models enter the market the prices will be within reach.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 7:48 pm 

Correct. It is very much the classic stack.
jersey bluesdude wrote:
Kinda figured that. Thanks. The 300 Pro has a similar eq section as the bassman 1200. The Super looks like it utilizes the classic fender tone stack.http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=FEN ... tedIndex=5