LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:00 pm

Post subject: Jordan amps?
PostPosted: November 5th, 2008, 8:47 am 

I went in my local used record store on Sunday, and they have started selling used guitars and amps in addition to the used LP's and CD's. There was a bass amp in the corner with a badge claiming it was a Jordan. I was instantly curious because that's my last name! How cool would it be to have an amp with my own name printed on it? I've never heard of this company, has anyone come across them before? The guy in the store said they were only in the amp business for a few years during the late 60's, and that Jordan was the first company to put out solid-state amps. The amp currently isn't working, the used record store guy explained, but they are going to fix it before they sell it. He said he expected to selling price would be around $150. The plate on the back said the amp is 75 watts - I need something louder than I have now (a simple 60 watt Behringer 1x12) because I've started to play some gigs, but I'm worried 75 watts might not be loud enough. But I'm intruiged.

The same shop was also selling a (righty) Fender Bass VI, but don't get to excited, it was a Japanese reissue, and when I checked the serial number it was made in 1994-1995. The asking price on that one is $600, but that's also because one of the switches is broken. Were there any lefty Bass VI's made?

Post subject: Re: Jordan amps?
PostPosted: November 5th, 2008, 11:20 am 
Site Admin

75 watts might still be underpowered for gigging, but you should try the amp when it's fixed anyway, it might be conservatively rated and be louder than most other 75 watt amps you'll find. It's a matter of what you are competing with on stage for volume too though.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2008, 5:47 pm 

I've heard all sorts of things about how bass amps need massive wattage. My amp is 200 watts and it sits in a live mix quite fine against two guitarists with very loud halfstacks. Of course, I crank it pretty hard for that gritty stoner rock growl. My point is that if it works for you, it works for you.

I've heard a few things about Jordan amps and they were mixed IIRC. Like I said above, if it works for you....

PostPosted: November 5th, 2008, 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

baalroo wrote:
I've heard all sorts of things about how bass amps need massive wattage. My amp is 200 watts and it sits in a live mix quite fine against two guitarists with very loud halfstacks. Of course, I crank it pretty hard for that gritty stoner rock growl. My point is that if it works for you, it works for you.

I've heard a few things about Jordan amps and they were mixed IIRC. Like I said above, if it works for you....

What amp are you using? Not all companies rate amps the same. You won't find the same volume in all company's amps with the same output rating.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2008, 11:17 pm 

andrew wrote:
baalroo wrote:

What amp are you using? Not all companies rate amps the same. You won't find the same volume in all company's amps with the same output rating.

I was simply making an anecdotal statement. However, for the record, it's a Hartke Model 2000 and it's served me quite well over the years. It's a "hybrid" with a stage of Tube and a stage of SS with seperate gain controls for each and I've used it for everything from fusion to my current stoner rock project and have always been able to dial in the sound (and volume) I need.

My father got it off a guy for something like $60 back in the mid 90s for me when I first started playing bass, he's an amazing guitarist that's been playin' and gigging since the mid 70s and knows a good deal when he sees one.

Just to finish my little tangent here: He also picked up 2 matching early 80s Sovtek Mig 100s for a few hundred bucks from the same guy at around the same time... talk about a freakin major score. Needless to say, me and my father have matching amps.