LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:51 pm

Post subject: question about ohms
PostPosted: January 15th, 2013, 9:49 pm 

I never really paid attention to ohms as I always ran an 8x10 of some sort. Now I'm using different cabs and confused

Now, I have 2 amps I use depending on how ambitious I feel.
#1 is a early 90s svt 2, #2 is a GK 1001.
I Had 2 mesa diesel 4x10s each at 8ohms. I sometimes used one or both.
Now my ampeg has 2 or 4ohms, so I was ru 8 or 4 ( 2 8s = 4 right?i n
With the GK I ran both no prob
now only have one and I picked up a genz Benz 2x15 I belie to be 4ohms. I've read I can run this 2.6 or 7 ohms off my ampeg in 4 ohm mode, yes? Also says one cab will get twice the power, oing this, true?? Next, what about the GK? My amp says one or 2 8 ohm cabs or 1 4 ohm, 700 Watts. Now if I'm getting this I can run both parallel with the ampeg but only one or the other with the GK.

And if I run both with the GK I can burn it up? What about series? Can I make a 4 ohm cab 8 ohms? Much to understand. I need to get a new 8x10 but now here's another? I've long heard the newer svt cabs are not as good as the older (USA made?) One. True? Why? I appreciate any help here, u guys seem to be bass gurus!

Post subject: Re: question about ohms
PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 10:24 am 

I was about to type out a super long-winded response, but other people have done a better job than I could ever do.

So, here's a link form TalkBass... read it from beginning to end.

Lots of great info.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ohms-faq-144244/

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Post subject: Re: question about ohms
PostPosted: February 7th, 2013, 7:30 am 

For simplicity and not mucking around too much with miss-matching cab power, I would probably run something like this:

GK1001Rb -- 410 - 410
Instrument -- ABY
SVT2 -- 215@4ohm

I would not run a combination of the 215 with the 410 through the 1000Rb, my experience with GKs in the past has been that they can get touchy with odd impedance combinations, and are sometimes finicky with non-GK cabs (but happen to kick a metric f***-ton of ass through an SVT-610 cab).

As for Ampeg cab construction, I haven't found there to be a real drop in quality as compared to newer tube amps made offshore.
There is a definite quality difference between amps that were built up to the late 90s in St. Louis to the newer stock that is built in Vietnam.