LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 8:43 am

Post subject: Re: What's your main amp rig?
PostPosted: April 8th, 2011, 11:03 am 

Lately for rehearsals and one gig I've used my guitarist's Ampeg B2 - Hartke 4x10 rig and I have really liked it.

I have always looked askance at these aluminum cone speakers but this rig sounds really good so heck, guess an old dog can learn new tricks occasionally. :shock: :D

PostPosted: April 8th, 2011, 12:44 pm 

honestly? right now my ipad, im using the amplitude program, and since im not playing in a band right now its all i need, headphones in and no neighbors can complain no matter how late i play, great built in stuff (tuner metrenome noise gate speed control for songs) great tool, and a couple of weeks ago i hooked it up to a friends P.A for jamming and it sounded pretty decent

PostPosted: April 8th, 2011, 1:55 pm 

Basshappi wrote:
Lately for rehearsals and one gig I've used my guitarist's Ampeg B2 - Hartke 4x10 rig and I have really liked it.

I have always looked askance at these aluminum cone speakers but this rig sounds really good so heck, guess an old dog can learn new tricks occasionally. :shock: :D

Way back in the day I used to use a Hartke XL 2x10 with a SWR Big Ben powered by one of the 1st SWR 350's (not the 350x). That rig sounded killer at practice, and in small and medium rooms.

Never did like the 4x10's tho. It seemed like they couldn't cut thu at distances more than 20 ft from the stage.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2011, 3:25 pm 

I use a Markbass LMII with an Ampeg Portabass 2x10 for small gigs and rehearsals or a 4 ohms Avatar B410 for larger venues.

For the most part I am very satisfied with my sound but If I had to start all over I would probably get 2 Aguilar GS112.

I notice there are quite a few board members using the Portabass cab. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Somedays I think it sounds great somedays I hate it. For sure, this little sucker takes the 500w with no problems and I also love getting to a gig with my LMII in a laptop bag, my bass and the cab all in one trip.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2011, 8:24 pm 

Ampeg V4BH and a Ampeg 810e classic cab, the sweetest sounding amp I have played!

PostPosted: April 9th, 2011, 11:28 pm 

Lately, indoors, a Shuttle6.0 into a Bergie 1x12 (EX112) on an amp rack. GREAT sound, and the DI works quite well. We play in three different venues, each with a sound guy, and all three love the simplicity and the sound. Very quick, very easy.

Outdoors, I will grab either the Shuttle or an older GBE600 and use both BagEnd 1x15's, not the cubes but the elongated ones, the S15B-D's. Tremendous sound, plenty of volume.

I still have an SWR Silverado Special (2x12's combo) that is awesome, but heavy at 93 pounds. Best single combo I have ever heard.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2011, 8:42 pm 

I have a confession. I have been having serious amp GAS lately. I have played through my Peavey since I bought it new in '83 and it has served me very well, I'll never part with it. Likewise my Ampeg combo.

And while I am thrilled and amazed by the ultralight/megawatt amps offered nowadays, I find myself fixating on the Big Iron, I really want a full tube amp. I had a Fender Bassman 100 that I ran through an Acoustic 2x15 cab (still have the cab). It sounded fantastic though it was a bit underpowered for the band I was in at the time, when it got stolen I was brokenhearted.

I played one again recently and it reminded me what I loved about that amp and tube amps in general. As much as I love Ampeg, SVTs and SVT IIs are still well out of my price range, though if my band takes off and starts playing larger venues or outdoor gigs on a regular basis I may consider one. Right now I think that a Bassman 135, Ampeg V4B or something similiar will be just what the doctor ordered.

I have been saving all my $$ for a very special, one-of-a-kind bass that I have been offered and should wrap up that deal next month. Afterwards I think I will start seriously looking at tube amps.

It's good to have goals...............right? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 10th, 2011, 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Basshappi, amps that might scratch that "Fender tube amp tone" itch for a decent price and give you a bit more power would be the Mesa Bass 400 or D-180.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 9:56 am 

Basshappi wrote:
I have a confession. I have been having serious amp GAS lately. I have played through my Peavey since I bought it new in '83 and it has served me very well, I'll never part with it. Likewise my Ampeg combo.

And while I am thrilled and amazed by the ultralight/megawatt amps offered nowadays, I find myself fixating on the Big Iron, I really want a full tube amp. I had a Fender Bassman 100 that I ran through an Acoustic 2x15 cab (still have the cab). It sounded fantastic though it was a bit underpowered for the band I was in at the time, when it got stolen I was brokenhearted.

I played one again recently and it reminded me what I loved about that amp and tube amps in general. As much as I love Ampeg, SVTs and SVT IIs are still well out of my price range, though if my band takes off and starts playing larger venues or outdoor gigs on a regular basis I may consider one. Right now I think that a Bassman 135, Ampeg V4B or something similiar will be just what the doctor ordered.

I have been saving all my $$ for a very special, one-of-a-kind bass that I have been offered and should wrap up that deal next month. Afterwards I think I will start seriously looking at tube amps.

It's good to have goals...............right? :mrgreen:

Goals are nice to have fo' sho'. I hope your bass works out well for you.

As for big iron, just remember that iron = mass + weight, and that you don't get sick of lugging around 90 lbs heads, or worse yet, hurt your back.

All that being said, go buy a Reeves 225 rig and tell us what you think of it LOL.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 11:01 am 

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Notice that I mentioned that SVTs and SVT IIs are curently out of my price range (even used) so a Reeves......I wish! If I could even find one they wouldn't even allow me to look at it much less play the thing! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 11:23 am 
Site Admin

I owned a reissue Hiwatt DR201 (the equivalent of the Reeves 225) and it sounded killer, had tone for days, but just was a shade too quiet for my bands. I've owned a few 200 watt tube amps and always find them just a hair not loud enough for my needs.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 11:27 am 

andrew wrote:
I owned a reissue Hiwatt DR201 (the equivalent of the Reeves 225) and it sounded killer, had tone for days, but just was a shade too quiet for my bands. I've owned a few 200 watt tube amps and always find them just a hair not loud enough for my needs.

Holy cow! 200 Hiwatt watts aren't enough? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Remind me not to sit in the 1st 20 rows if I ever get a chance to see you gig :!:

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 1:41 pm 

Mine is an Ampeg Portabass 250 head with the Portabass 2-10 cab. It's great for my church gig. I also have a GK 800RB with 12" and 15" cabs for when I get a regular gig, but I haven't used it in a while.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

AzWhoFan wrote:
andrew wrote:

Holy cow! 200 Hiwatt watts aren't enough? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Remind me not to sit in the 1st 20 rows if I ever get a chance to see you gig :!:

The thing is, it hit it's volume threshold at about noon and as you turned the dial past noon it didn't get louder, just sweeter sounding. :D

I could get a really nice dirty-but-not-too-dirty tone from it with both gain and master volume maxxed, but it was still a shade under the volume I need.
I also owned a Matchless Thunderchief and used the Orange AD200B and in all cases found the 200 watts just not quite enough. Even though on paper the volume difference isn't much, I get by just fine with 300 watt tube amps like the SVT.

Amps are kinda my thing, I've owned a lot of them over the years.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 6:16 pm 

I've had a few tube amps, and even the 100 watt ones (V-4B, Musicman 100-B) were enough for me to hang with 2 guitarists and a drummer. I do use active basses, though. Anyway, the Boogies were my favorites.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 10:11 pm 

Hey Andrew don't get me wrong, it's just that I have trouble being in the same room as my Reeves 50 watter when it's cranked by my guitarist. I can't imagine what 200 watts would do to my tinnitus.

Gotta agree about the breakup when it gets past a certain point on the dial. In the case of my CP50PS, that happens about 2 to 3 o'clock position. But in my case, if it ever gets there - unless we're in a BIG room - I've usually already left the building!

PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 12:08 pm 

This is what I play in the rock cover band gig I do... it's what goes to all the shitty smokey bars, etc...

Mesa Boogie Big Block 750 with a 2x10 and a 4x10... both 8 ohm.

And this rig only goes to the "special gigs"... only smoke free and usually smaller in size... Mesa Boogie 400+ with the 4x10 from the picture above.

I only took the 400+ out 7 or 8 times last year... that's it. But, it's by far the best sounding and most powerful bass amp I've ever had. I totally baby it, even though that's totally not what it's made for. But... I've wanted one ever since I could remember and they always seemed unobtainable to me, so the moment I heard they were being discontinued I searched for 3 weeks to find one NIB and I immediately bought it.

I've actually thought about selling it recently because it's almost "too much" for me, if that makes any sense... but, I'm struggling with the decision, big-time. :?

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 12:53 pm 

Depending on circumstance/ Main: Mark Bass 102P with a GK 115MBE to add some thump, or the Mark bass alone, lastly the GK 115 MBE with the GK MB500 head.
Practice amp: GK Backline 112
Utility Amp: Peavey KB5

Attachments:
File comment: Mark Bass 102P with a GK 115MBE, GK MB500 head ,Fender RT-1000 Chromatic Rack Tuner, Monster 2500 power conditioner, Shure SLX wireless, Item picture
RIg.jpg
RIg.jpg [ 40.71 KiB | Viewed 15626 times ]

Aim low play BASS! 2013 MTD 535-24/2013 Sadowsky NYC/2013 Gibson SG Bass/2012 Gibson T-Bird/2012 Rickenbacker 4003/2000 Fender Am Dlx J/ 2005 Fender Am Standard P/2006 Fender Am Standard P/1998 MM Stingray/1978 Fender Fretless American Standard P
PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 11:10 am 

My main rig is an EBS HD350 with an EBS Proline 410. For small gigs I take my EBS Drome 112 with me. For recording I use an EBS MicroBass II and an Ampeg SVP-CL preamp :)

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Jeroen wrote:
My main rig is an EBS HD350 with an EBS Proline 410.

I really like EBS amps. The Fafner is one of my favorite heads.