LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:04 am

Post subject: Played several different amps recently
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2011, 10:32 am 

NOTE: If this should be in another section, please move it or delete it - your choice.

I found myself in Houston recently and found my way to Rockin' Robins, a music store which had several high-end instruments. Unfortunately, they had two lefty Ibby's and one Eastwood, all mounted at ceiling-level, so Mark White (of The Spin Doctors) allowed me to noodle around on his personal bass, a highly modified 1976 (?) Fender Jazz with center-installed MM-style pup and pre-amp and a thick plexiglass cover-guard. He was unusually fast with his double-thumb technique, and seemed to be an all-round good guy.

Genz-Benz Uber 2x12: Holy Carp!!! Did this cabinet with a small footprint sound frickin' HUGE!!! Just playing it in their display room let me know quickly that it was very responsive, very clean and crisp, and LOUD. I cannot imagine anyone needing to add anything to this cab for more volume, unless playing barefoot outdoors. We swapped several different heads on it, and it sounded great each and every time. Just for reference, I purchased a new SWR Silverado Special (2x12) and still have it, and until now I thought it was the ultimate 2x12 cab (though a combo). This is the first 2x12 cab I have heard that could hold it's own compared to that Silverado.

Genz-Benz Shuttle6.0: Again, for reference, I own one. We would swap a head out, using the same cables and same instrument for comparison. The Shuttle sounded great, as expected. Loud, crisp, clear, very responsive, easy to eq (but left flat for the entire review).

Genz-Benz Streamliner: Different eq compared to the Shuttle - more bottom end, but not simply a boost. Different configuration. Slightly more powerful (900 vs. 600), but clean, clear, crisp. The overdrive section of the Streamliner was much, much different from the Shuttle - more pleasing to the ear. More "natural" tube sound, as it should. I could live with this amp.

Bergantino IP112: Holier Carp!!! Magnificent. IIRC, the IP series is discontinued, and the price was boo-teakish. But, geez, what a sound. Very loud for a single 12, very clean, clear, no mud whatsoever unless you dialed it in. I had the money (and was single...) I would have walked out with this cab. I own a Bergie EX112 (pre- ER), and I knew what to expect from this cab, but the internal amp just made it even more alive. Last one in stock. Absolutely no disappointments. Loud. Clear. Lots of presence.

TC Staccato with TC 2x10 cab: I was impressed. I could easily dial in several decent, stage-worthy tones. Now, I didn't bother with the built-in memory and try to store anything, but I don't find that to be a deal-breaker. My Ashdown Superfly has lots of programmable memories, and I find that I don't really store any at all. Bells and whistles, but not necessary, IMHO. Back to the amp - it was very easy to find one pleasing setting after another - no problem whatsoever. And, I will honestly admit that the 2x10 cab held up well when we rolled the bass gain up a bit. Still clear, not muddy at all. But, at that price (combined), I would have expected it to perform, and it did well.

Ashdown Superfly: Last one left in stock. I was very familiar with this amp (own one), but we swapped it into the rotation just so the other guys could hear it. Loud. Clean. Good price. I have found, though, that I don't like the design. The two "rubber" gain knobs are just too exposed for my tastes and I always feared bumping the head and shearing off a knob. The electronic eq is quite nice. It took only a few seconds to set it up (it powers up flat) and it was nice.

Thoughts: If I had the money, I would have left with the Bergie, though I don't really need a powered cab. My main gigging amp right now is a single Bergie EX112 (no horn, unlike the IP) on an amp stand with a Shuttle6.0 on top. But, I would LOVE to have a second Bergie 1x12 just for those nights when I need (Tool Man Taylor) "MORE POWER!" I could see myself taking two of these and blowing away some preconceived notions. The Uber would also be a good choice for anyone needing one great cab in all situations. Much more portable than a 2x15 but with (IMHO) just as much volume, more presence, and more "oomph" than a 2x15. As I stated, I cannot imagine any situation (except outdoors w/o p.a. support) where one Uber 2x12 could not provide the volume. I don't get to Houston very often, but I plan to revisit Rocking Robins whenever I am there.

Post subject: Re: Played several different amps recently
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2011, 11:40 pm 

hey man, didnt that guy from the spin doctors play a dano longhorn?

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 12:24 am 

How did you meet up with Mark White? Does he work at the store?

Mark White also played Stingrays, and used to be a long-time Ibanez endorsee, playing ATK's even long after the ATK-line had been discontinued (much to the dismay of Ibanez artist relations deps, who'd rather have him play newer Ibanez models to bring these under the attention of the public).

Here he is with a heavily modified ATK300 with a Kahler trem and various electronics mods: link

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 7:15 am 

He said he moved to Houston (from NYC) 8-10 years ago. He gives music lessons in that store. He tutored two different students while I was there. Yes, he has a Dano, a Sting Ray, etc., but that day he had his 1972 or '76 (don't recall) Fender Jazz with MM-style pup in the middle. He also has that thick plexiglass on all his basses.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 10:48 pm 

ezstep wrote:
He said he moved to Houston (from NYC) 8-10 years ago. He gives music lessons in that store. He tutored two different students while I was there. Yes, he has a Dano, a Sting Ray, etc., but that day he had his 1972 or '76 (don't recall) Fender Jazz with MM-style pup in the middle. He also has that thick plexiglass on all his basses.

I remember seeing a clip of a song (maybe 2 princes?) which he was playing a longhorn

back on topic,
i just received a new GK fusion 550 from the states (Im in aust)
Half price to what is retail here thanks to our wonderful aussie dollar!
man this thing is going to kick arse.
:twisted:

I like how the front panel is simple, no extra bullshit knobs.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2011, 12:13 pm 

Simplicity is very important to me. That's why I love my Shuttle6.0. Very straightforward, simple, and sounds great. I also have a Genz-Benz GBE600, which also sounds great, but it has many extra knobs (12 rotary knobs compared to 7 for Shuttle), and the same power. While some people can actually use the extra knobs to coax out various settings and sounds, I don't need them. I am a "set it and forget it" type guy when it comes to eq.