LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:16 am

Post subject: Avatar cabs? (or: Cheap 210s?)
PostPosted: May 12th, 2008, 6:59 am 

So, I'm needing a decent 210 on a budget and I keep seeing Avatar come up in threads over on TB. I know some of you guys are kinda gearhead types (and this forum needs some traffic :D ) so I figured I'd ask here if anyone's had any experience with them.

I sold off most my gear years ago when I started playing guitar in a band as my main project and I'm down to just a Hartke Model 2000 through a no-name 115. I switched back to playing bass in a 6 piece and that just ain't quite cutting it volume wise and I also want a little more "punch" in the high-mids, but I don't have the cash to spend more than about $300. I figure my best bet is adding a 210 to round out the 115. If not avatar, any other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Avatar cabs? (or: Cheap 210s?)
PostPosted: May 12th, 2008, 8:07 am 

my live rig consists of an Eden WT-800, and Avatar SB112, and an Avatar Pro Kappa 210 - both running full range. while these are not Accugroove or Genz-Benz, they are every bit as (if not more) musical as gear being sold by Eden and SWR.

I opted for a 12" vs. 15" bottom to eliminate the boominess that most large rooms I played tended to suffer from. with a 15" bottom I was always needing to reduce to low frequency, and this left my B-string sounding impotent and far from it's growly potential. I'll note that while the 12" may sound a little thinner sitting right next to it, it sure blooms into a well rounded bottom out in the house - and I'm able to run my lows right where I want them.

all the best,

R

PostPosted: May 12th, 2008, 9:40 am 
Site Admin

I'm not familiar with the Avatar bass cabs, but Hieg had an Avatar 2x12 guitar cab that was really nice.

If I was going for cabs for cheap I'd personally look for the old Mesa Boogie diesel cabs, especially the EV loaded 2x15 cab. They're usually had for cheap used, and sound killer... and weigh more than a mobile home.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2008, 6:04 am 

After some more research and the "thumbs up" from rod I've decided I'm gonna go with avatar (more specifically the B210 NEO)... except I just blew out a tire this morning so it looks like it'll be a few weeks. Only question now is should I get it in white or red? :D

PostPosted: February 11th, 2009, 4:56 am 

I use an Avatar B210 delta in addition to my other cabs in my rig. My roommate has an Avatar 410 neo.

In my opinion, dump the 15 and get the 410neo. you'll never look back.

(unless of course, you are in love with the sound of the 15).

PostPosted: February 11th, 2009, 11:37 pm 

Actually, almost a year later I'm in a completely different band, with a completely different sound, and using almost completely different gear. I'm still using the 15" carvin cab that I mentioned, but it's "paired" with a Hatke 410 and a GK 210 and all that is powered by an old Acoustic 370 head. Oddly enough, I'm soon gonna be switching out the 410 for a SWR Goliath Jr. 210 and an Avatar 210 for two reasons. First, I have a small car and it's easier to load two 210s than a single 410. Second, the Hartke is 8 ohm which means I'm only running at 2.6 ohm and I wanna be running the Acoustic at full potential since I play with two guitarists running fullstacks.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2009, 1:44 am 

baalroo wrote:
Actually, almost a year later I'm in a completely different band, with a completely different sound, and using almost completely different gear. I'm still using the 15" carvin cab that I mentioned, but it's "paired" with a Hatke 410 and a GK 210 and all that is powered by an old Acoustic 370 head. Oddly enough, I'm soon gonna be switching out the 410 for a SWR Goliath Jr. 210 and an Avatar 210 for two reasons. First, I have a small car and it's easier to load two 210s than a single 410. Second, the Hartke is 8 ohm which means I'm only running at 2.6 ohm and I wanna be running the Acoustic at full potential since I play with two guitarists running fullstacks.

I'm kind of new to the site, and didn't really realize how old some of these threads are.
I know what you mean about having a small car. That's why I run two 112s and a 210.
I had no idea the old 370 went down to 2 ohm.

two 210s and a 15 will definitely still get the job done. If I had a bigger car, I would switch my Avatar 210 out for an Avatar 410. Either that or just get a 4 ohm Aguilar GS412 to replace all my cabs.... ah, it's nice to dream...

PostPosted: February 12th, 2009, 10:22 pm 

andrew wrote:
I'm not familiar with the Avatar bass cabs, but Hieg had an Avatar 2x12 guitar cab that was really nice.

If I was going for cabs for cheap I'd personally look for the old Mesa Boogie diesel cabs, especially the EV loaded 2x15 cab. They're usually had for cheap used, and sound killer... and weigh more than a mobile home.

how funny you should mention the Diesel. I used to have one of those and loved it. The only problem was I found them to be really long throw speakers. If I got the volume to where I'd be happy with it on stage - in clubs - people in the back of the room would have their hands cupped over their ears and shout at me to turn down the bass. And I was only using a Peavey MKIII head at the time.
And there's no way I could schlepp one around now. Those suckers weigh in at 125 lbs. Macca's lucky, he used 2 of them at the grammy's, but I'm sure he didn't have to worry about the load in and load out :)

PostPosted: March 12th, 2009, 4:41 pm 

The older Mesa Diesel cabs are great. The 115 EV Speaker enclosure is the best of both worlds. Great hi end and thundering lows. If you have never played thru a cab with EV (Electrovoice) speakers, you should check it out. I modded an Ampeg SVT 8x10 refrigerator with all EV speakers and it was great! Of course that was back in the day of sealed cabinets. 8-)