LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:50 am

Post subject: Best combo "practice amp" on a budget?
PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 8:36 pm 

I'm seeking the help of my fellow lefties on this one. I currently have a GK Backline 112 (100W), and despite tinkering with it over several months, I really can't find a sound I like, and I hate the ever present hum from the cheap electronics.

So, I'm looking to trade up to an alternate amp. I (try to) play rock/punk, and if truth be told, I'm unlikely to be gigging anywhere soon. I jam in my basement, so I'm not fixated on a megawatt beast, but equally do not want to be buying another amp in 6 months. I'm looking for quality. I've read a ton of reviews, and it seems that every amp is loved and hated almost equally... very pesky. I'm looking to buy new (for warranty and peace of mind). Here's a list of potential candidates:

Ampeg BA112 or BA115 (muddy or noisy?)
Ashdown Five Fifteen (some complaints about quality?)
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II or 15-180 (underpowered/quality?)
Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 (too many useless amp settings?)
Marshall MB30 or MB60 (way overpriced for output?)
Orange Crush pix CR50BXT
Roland Cube 100
SWR LA15
SWR Workingpro 10

These cover a broad price range and wattage. If anyone has feedback on these, or other recommendations, I'd be grateful. It's hard to find a store near me that has all of 'em to test, so I need to shorten the list a little ;)

Post subject: Re: Best combo "practice amp" on a budget?
PostPosted: July 28th, 2010, 10:31 pm 

The Roland Cube awesome power from such a small unit. A keyboard player that I play with now and again has one, cut through all and sundry guitarists :ugeek:

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 12:18 am 

I have a line6 lowdown 150 and i love it. I take it to gigs with me for both jazz (not directed and cuts through perfect in big band to combo setting) and rock (since im direct box split anyways the amp basically becomes a moniter)

I have never had any issues with the amp in the 3 years i have had it. No buzzing, enough effects / equalization for me also

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 7:08 am 

I'm loving this little rig. For $300 you can't go wrong:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1428

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 7:40 am 

My unreserved recommendation for this is the SWR Basic Black, which was made from 1992-99. They are easy to find used for about $300 bucks and have 125 watts so you can take them on smaller gigs but they are best for recording and practice. It's basically a 15" speaker in a box so it takes up little space and has the most organic sound for any modern combo IMHO.

Old post as example:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... ?t=1802033

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 12:37 pm 

Agent00Soul wrote:
My unreserved recommendation for this is the SWR Basic Black, which was made from 1992-99. They are easy to find used for about $300 bucks and have 125 watts so you can take them on smaller gigs but they are best for recording and practice. It's basically a 15" speaker in a box so it takes up little space and has the most organic sound for any modern combo IMHO.

Old post as example:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... ?t=1802033

+1. IIRC, there were two distinct versions of the Bassic Black (not cosmetically). The earlier versions were sonically superior IMO. wish i could remember the dates of the switchover, but the memory's fuzzy today.

The differences had to do with the speaker, horn and pre amp sections as I seem to recall. Not a huge difference in sound between the two versions, but I do distinctly remember the earlier version as sweeter sounding to my ear.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 2:34 pm 

I love the little Roland Cube line. Such a fun little amp. I never tried a bass through one though.

I am REALLY interested in trying this out:

http://www.ehx.com/products/44-magnum

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 7:04 pm 

Thanks a lot for all the cool advice so far. Pjmuck, that magnum looks way cool! I need to do some digging :)