LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:31 pm

Post subject: Markbass Little Mark II (Limited Edition)
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2010, 3:56 pm 

As you guys know, it is a very popular bass head. I just bought one of those (on sale) for $499 at Musiciansfriend. To my knowledge, the only difference between the LMII and the LM III ($599) is the DI which is only post-eq and the lack of mute switch. I must say that for the price (includes free shipping) you get a super light amp of incredible quality. I use it with an 4 ohms Avatar B410 cab (another great value!), it sounds wonderful. Powerfull, with the juicy mids characteristic of Markbass amps. Along with my Stingray, I used this rig last week in a pretty large club (300 peoples) where I could not rely much on the under-powered PA system; I got many compliments. Despite the high volume, the head did not even clip once.
There are many other good bass heads on the market but if we consider the price/reliablility/sound of this 500w head, it seems to be a deal difficult to beat (there was only 500 LM II's Limited Edition made, if you are interested I advise you not to wait as they are just clearing their stock). For the few tunes calling for a more Ampeg-ish type of sound and I just stomped only my slightly overdriven Sansamp VT Bass pedal to do the job.

Post subject: Re: Markbass Little Mark II (Limited Edition)
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2010, 11:34 am 

I've been using an LM II for nearly 3 (?) years now and am super satisfied with it. I run it at 4 ohms with a Berganton HT/EX/112 rig. It fills up any room in town. I've only had to mic it at outdoor gigs. And I'm always getting compliments on my tone.

Other than wanting a big-a$$ed tube head like a Reeves/Aggie/SVT (which I'd be unable to schlepp around) my amp G.A.S. has been quiet for a looooong time.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2010, 2:26 pm 

I must add that the sound coming out of the DI is also fantastic for recording. I own all kind of preamps or DI's (Ampeg SVP, Sansamp VT Bass, Sansamp Bass Driver...) but I got the best tracks ever by just using the Markbass' DI output.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 4:28 pm 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
To my knowledge, the only difference between the LMII and the LM III ($599) is the DI which is only post-eq and the lack of mute switch.

You are correct sir but 1 thing to add is the LM III also has an adjustable DI Line Out output on the front on the far right. I 150% agree, the Older LittleMark II amp are really good class A amps. They get a tubey tone out of a light portable amp. The Class D MarkBass amps have such a different tone (love/hate relationship). I wound up buying some of the newer LMTube amps and basically sent them back and went back to the LM II. You can crank the tube gain in the newer amps but get near the same result with just the class A LM II amp. I use a LM II with a single or pair of Aguilar GS112's for home practice amp and love them to death. I must as I keep selling and re-buying them. The LM II and Special Edition are exactly the same amp with a different faceplate. Great little portable amps. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 4:08 pm 

Jim, your knowledge always amazes me! If this board ever decides to crown the "Ultimate gear freak" you have a serious chance to win! :lol:

PostPosted: July 1st, 2010, 5:24 pm 

I know a little of a little. Enough to get me by or the most part. Between "A L L" of us here on the board, we know everything!