LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:17 am

Post subject: Ampeg SVT Micro Stack
PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 9:47 pm 

I think I'm gonna:

Been playing this thing most of the evening at my house. I have a small gig tomorrow night and if it sounds as good with a band as it does alone, it's a done deal.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

Post subject: Re: Ampeg SVT Micro Stack
PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with you man, I tried one at a store and thought it sounded great.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 7:42 am 

Went to GC a couple months back to get one, they were out. I think it would be a fun amp for certain gigs.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 8:31 am 

I brought 2 cabs home to demo and the rig sounds way better with one cab strangely enough. I'm able to get more usable volume running one cab (150 watts @ 8 ohms) than two (200 watts @ 4 ohms). I don't get it. Running 2 cabinets distorts very easily. Engaging the limiter helps, but there's still a short stab of distortion when attacking a note. But I'm doing a gig in a small room tonight and I will try it both ways again and let you guys know what I come up with. The tone of this thing is amazing though. It really does sound like a baby SVT.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 8:52 am 

Not an Ampeg fan (At least when I run my J through one), but that thing is cute. :)

PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 9:48 am 

Matt R. wrote:
I brought 2 cabs home to demo and the rig sounds way better with one cab strangely enough. I'm able to get more usable volume running one cab (150 watts @ 8 ohms) than two (200 watts @ 4 ohms). I don't get it. Running 2 cabinets distorts very easily. Engaging the limiter helps, but there's still a short stab of distortion when attacking a note. But I'm doing a gig in a small room tonight and I will try it both ways again and let you guys know what I come up with. The tone of this thing is amazing though. It really does sound like a baby SVT.

Sounds like an impedance mis-match issue to me. Or maybe the OP tranny is being starved for output.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 9:54 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Matt R. wrote:

Sounds like an impedance mis-match issue to me. Or maybe the OP tranny is being starved for output.

But both cabs are 8 ohms and designed to be run as a pair with this head.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 2:46 pm 

Matt R. wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:
Matt R. wrote:

But both cabs are 8 ohms and designed to be run as a pair with this head.

I was afraid you'd say something like that!
I know nothing about this model, so all I can suggest is that you take the cabs apart and see if they are wired up properly.
If it's a tube head, more'n likely there's something wrong in the mains output section.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 1:27 am 

It's not a tube head;there is NO output transformer. The problem with two cabs is that it is built on the cheap and its power supply cannot deliver enough current to its output devices to sustain a 4 ohm load.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 8:18 am 

Well I gigged with the rig as a duo (just myself and a guitarist) and while the tone of this rig is absolutely killer, it just didn't have the punch for a live situation. :cry: I was very disappointed, but at least I got to demo it without spending a bunch of cash. It would make a great (but expensive) home practice amp, but not much else. When I have $$ to burn, I'll get one for that purpose.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 9:55 pm 

Psycho Bass Guy wrote:
It's not a tube head;there is NO output transformer. The problem with two cabs is that it is built on the cheap and its power supply cannot deliver enough current to its output devices to sustain a 4 ohm load.

Interesting! Like I said, I know nothing about this particular model.

However, I did hear one yeterday at NAMM, and it had both cabs wired up. Souded just fine.
I guess Matt is headed for a trip to repair-land. Hopefully it's still under warranty.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 7:15 am 

Issues with output current are directly related to volume needs. There's no "repair" to be made; the amp is simply incapable of driving two cabinets to most gig volume levels. NAMM, for as chaotic as it is, is a VERY controlled environment, and it is not unheard of for demo models to be substantially different than the final product and Ampeg under Loud's aegis is one of the best examples of this. Several of their amps have debuted there and were very different when they actually appeared in stores.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 8:15 am 

I haven't bought one yet. That was a floor model that the store here was kind enough to let me demo. I will get one though, it'll just be a couple months. It'll be a nice home rig and the tone is wonderful. I was just disappointed it wasn't really gig-worthy.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 10:10 am 

Is it loud enough to serve just as a personal monitor on stage, with the balanced line out going to the board? I'm considering selling my Ashdown ABM300 rig because I rarely play it since I got my EBS HD350 rig, with the Micro VR for home use and small gigs. Would that work?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 10:30 am 

Jeroen wrote:
Is it loud enough to serve just as a personal monitor on stage, with the balanced line out going to the board? I'm considering selling my Ashdown ABM300 rig because I rarely play it since I got my EBS HD350 rig, with the Micro VR for home use and small gigs. Would that work?

I think it would work at a small gig if you have PA support, yeah. I'm definitely getting one for home. The tone is really beautiful on this little rig, I can't stress that enough. I do wish it was more powerful though.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 10:54 am 
Site Admin

I liked the tone enough that I'd be into having the micro stack at home for practice. The look is cool so I'd be into having it in my living room, but I don't think I'd have use for it gigging.

The Orange Tiny Terror Bass might be worth looking at if you want a small head with a different look and more power under the hood.