LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:11 am

Post subject: 1976 Fender Precision 1 Owner Hot Rod
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 2:13 pm 

I ordered this left handed Fender Precision in the fall of 1975 from Roberts Piano in Lynchburg, Virginia. It arrived in spring of 1976. It has been my constant companion for 41 years. The original factory pickup died at nine years of age unceremoniously in it's sleep one night in 1985. This is when the hot rodding took place. At that time CBS Fenders were held in great disdain as nothing special and greatly diminished from the lofty arts of work from the Leo Fender era. In short used CBS Precisions were everywhere and dirt cheap and that is why they became the darlings of punk rock in the 1980's as you could pick one up for $150-$200 all day long. I am in poor health and that is why I am very reluctantly selling. $3333.33 and you pay shipping.

Post subject: Re: 1976 Fender Precision 1 Owner Hot Rod
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 3:53 pm 

Very cool bass, man! I really like that pickguard!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 4:08 pm 

Man, that bass is too cool for words, and I'm pretty sure I've said as much before. I'm very sorry to hear about your health issues.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 4:33 pm 

Thanks all! Much appreciated. The serial number is 638620 if you want to look it up.
While all the righty natural bodys were made of swamp ash, this lefty is made of hand selected heart of alder. I do not know if it is simply the 'luck of the draw' or did some left handed Fender factory worker pluck out a very special body blank, but here it is. Yes it is on the heavy side (dense) and it is very resonant. I've never seen such tight and perfectly straight grain on any Fender body. It is extra special.

The neck is decent, just not as special as the body. The only heal end marking is a single red magic marker stripe. No date. No name. No stamps of any kind. It is what it is. That is the way it came from Fullerton, California, USA in 1976.

Just like the neck there are no neck pocket markings. This leads me to believe a single Fender employee made this bass from start to finish, much like nowadays Custom Shop. Believe what you will. I know what it is and what it isn't.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 8:55 am 

Comes complete with this famous set of now nearly four year old GHS Precision Flats!
Buy the strings and get the bass free! Just $3,333.33 or best reasonable offer. Shipping is on you because it is expensive.
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/praise-report-ghs-precision-flats.1009326/

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2017, 2:03 pm 

Serious Price Drop to just $2,555.55! Also available through Reverb
https://reverb.com/item/4292356-fender-1976-left-handed-precision-hot-rod-natural-amber