LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently November 21st, 2018, 5:40 am

Post subject: Fender Jazz Bass 62 Reissue CIJ For Sale Amazing
PostPosted: August 13th, 2009, 7:45 pm 

I am selling my CIJ Fender Jazz Bass. The bass is heavily upgraded with Fender Original USA Jazz Pickups and USA stack controls. Bass also has pickup cover to give it an even more classic vibe. The bass is in excellent condition and is setup to gig out of the case. The bass also will come with a deluxe hardshell tweed case. email me at nematicba@yahoo.com if interested. I am looking for $900.00 + shipping or I will consider trades.

Attachments:
Blue Jazz Bass.jpg
Blue Jazz Bass.jpg [ 118.51 KiB | Viewed 6121 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Fender Jazz Bass 62 Reissue CIJ For Sale Amazing
PostPosted: August 13th, 2009, 8:59 pm 

Do you have any other pictures? Having a hard time picturing how this color looks. Is this considered Lake placid blue?

PostPosted: August 14th, 2009, 7:39 am 

This is lake placid blue. It has a subtle metallic flake in the paint. It looks amazing up close. Plays and looks great. I will also consider a trade for an american standard P bass.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2009, 10:10 am 

This picture is from Jim Rubio's site. Is this the actual bass and is this Jim Rubio selling? If so, lots of respect. Jim is a great guy.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2009, 11:33 am 
Site Admin

gravesbass wrote:
This picture is from Jim Rubio's site. Is this the actual bass and is this Jim Rubio selling? If so, lots of respect. Jim is a great guy.

I thought the pic was from Atlanta Bass Gallery. Is that where the bass was purchased?

PostPosted: August 14th, 2009, 2:04 pm 

Andrew, Jim Rubio is the owner of AtlantaBassGallery. This pic was taken from his site. It's John the bassist's old bass. He sold it to Jim Rubio. It's still up for sale on the ABG site so I suppose this guy has the same exact spec bass for sale??

PostPosted: August 14th, 2009, 2:33 pm 

hey guys. this is the bass that was for sale at the atlanta bass gallery. I purchased it from them and am not selling it now that a studio date is completed. If you call Atlanta Bass Gallery they will tell you that it was sold and I am the owner and am now selling it.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2009, 2:37 pm 

You can email me for more pics of this bass. I just took more of them since I brought it home from the studio. I am the owner of this bass that was on Jim Rubio's site. I purchased the bass from him. Atlanta Bass Gallery is a great shop and Jim was very accommodating. Again, if you check with Jim he will tell you that this bass was sold. I am the owner and am selling it or looking for a trade.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 8:40 am 

That was one of the basses I traded to Jim awhile back when I snagged A Ken Smith and Mike Lull last year.I don't know about the asking price though.I don't think I paid that new.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 8:49 am 

johntheleftybassist wrote:
That was one of the basses I traded to Jim awhile back when I snagged A Ken Smith and Mike Lull last year.I don't know about the asking price though.I don't think I paid that new.

Yep and it's more than what ABG was asking for it. Pretty high

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 6:00 pm 

Atlanta bass Gallery was asking $1000.00 for it. I paid a little less but they were asking $1000.00 for it.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 6:10 pm 

I also look at it this way. If you buy a CIJ jazz with on ebay new right now you will pay over $900.00. that price doesn't include the $120.00 shipping and that price doesn't include all of the upgrading you'll have to do to make it sound any good. The upgrades are already done and plus this comes with a hardshell case which none of the CIJ Fenders come with. When you spend money on new pickups, electronics, hardshell case and getting a tech to do the install, this price is justified.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 6:27 pm 

Assuming the buyer wanted the pickups you put in it, or the ashtrays, or the case, or the stack knobs, then maybe you're right. I know those options aren't interesting to me, so I see that bass as something less appealing than a used stock MIJ which I could get for around $600. Also, if you look at it my way, you'll see a bass that the owner spent hundreds of dollars tweaking, and still doesn't like it. I tend to pass on those.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 6:32 pm 

Interesting point. Either way, if you bought a cheap CIJ stock bass by the time you are done with upgrades the instrument will hover around $900 depending on the quality of the pickups and installation and the quality of the case you purchase. This bass comes with a hardshell tweed case that is high quality.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 6:36 pm 

i can see your presumption regarding an owner selling a modded bass may not be that great. Not my situation but I can see why you would think that way. I am selling it simply because I am a P-Bass player not really a Jbass player and the need to cash is more important than this nice bass hanging on my wall since I am not presently in a gigging band. Bad economy forces sacrifices.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 8:07 pm 

It is a strictly personal opinion but I believe that many of the bass connoisseurs on this forum will concur. I owned a MIJ '62 Jazz reissue - made of basswood -, a MIM Jazz - an older one made of Basswood unlike the recent ones which are made of Alder - and eventually a US Jazz Bass. I came to the conclusion that you can upgrade a JB as much as you want it will never have the midrange punch and the warm texture of a bass made of Alder. Ash JB's are great too (more lows less midrange great for slapping!). Alder or Ash = Fender Sound.
;)

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 11:36 pm 

I had a few MIJ Jazz basses and they were pretty good ones. I agree, the Alder or Ash is going to be much more punchy and more focussed for slap and plucking.

She's up on the evil bay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1182

PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 5:06 am 

Alder and Ash are generally accepted as better "tone" woods however companies like Musicman are starting to use Basswood in their high end models such as the Bongo and some of their signature guitars. Peavey uses Basswood for their Satriani guitars and Fender's EVH Eddie Van Halen's signature guitar which is close to $3000.00 has a Basswood body. What I am trying to say is even though Alder and Ash are traditionally better "tone" woods, alternative woods such as basswood are becoming increasingly popular. To me the differences in tone between a Basswood and Alder body are to modest for me to justify any cost differences. I have a 2008 American Standard Jazz and this Japanese one up for sale and to me the Japanese bass has a better slap tone where the American standard has a better tone when played with a pick. When comparing prices between Basswood and Alder on sites such as Warmoth, the price difference between basswood and alder is on $20.00 and that probably has something to do with the people's expectation that Alder is "better". The bottom line is whatever sounds good to you is what you should go with. If its Alder or Ash then go for it. If you like a bass with basswood, go for that but don't buy a bass because of what sounds good to someone else.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 11:41 am 

I think in the case of a MM Bongo, where the tone is more largely dependent on the pickups and active electronics than the body wood, you're less likely to notice any tonal "flaws" with basswood.

I have no problem with basswood, other than it's tendency to dent easier, provided the pickups/electronics are first rate. It seems that the seller has compensated for any potential dullness (which, again, I've never really noticed comparatively to Alder) by upgrading the PUPs.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 3:05 pm 

I am willing to ship the bass for free if someone purchases this bass for 850.00. Make me an offer and I'll consider it. email me offers at nematicba@yahoo.com