The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:05 pm

Post subject: Blonde Precision 1978
PostPosted: August 1st, 2020, 2:57 pm 

It truly hurts me to do this.
Photos and description can be found on the Reverb listing:
https://reverb.com/item/35025059-fender-precision-left-handed-1978-blonde

Asking $2200 on Reverb which I understand may be a touch ambitious so
Any deal made with a leftybassist members outside of Reverb will of course include a considerable discount :D

EDIT: Also on my Reverb page is more gear, Markbass 800 head, incredible Soundcraft mixer, etc., and if anyone is in socal ( I don't want to ship these ) i'm trying to unload some drum gear and a digital piano.

Last edited by Moses on August 1st, 2020, 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Blonde Precision 1978
PostPosted: August 1st, 2020, 3:32 pm 

Stunning

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2020, 6:02 pm 

Gorgeous!

What's a moderate weight exactly? ;)

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2020, 9:08 am 

Gorgeous indeed.

You mention in the listing that the only issues are a non-original tone knob and a strap hole on the lower bout, but what about those 5 extra bridge mount holes above the bridge? I don't get what's going on there. Did someone have a bridge mounted closer to the neck at one point, or was the original bridge mounted upside down? Strange.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2020, 10:43 am 

pjmuck wrote:
but what about those 5 extra bridge mount holes above the bridge? I don't get what's going on there. Did someone have a bridge mounted closer to the neck at one point, or was the original bridge mounted upside down? Strange.

Medium scale option? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2020, 10:59 am 

Unfortunately I don't have a way to get an accurate weight. It's actually the lightest bass I have, lighter than my MIK and my Warmoth. It couldn't be more than an ounce or two over 9 pounds.

My best guess is that the holes by the bridge are from a mute mount. Whatever hardware was there is long gone now.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2020, 6:53 am 

Moses wrote:
My best guess is that the holes by the bridge are from a mute mount. Whatever hardware was there is long gone now.

With all due respect - I don't recall Fender mutes ever requiring five holes for installation... and those holes are literally under the bridge; no-way a mute could be installed that close to the bridge... someone installed a different bridge a long time ago, then re-installed the original bridge... and, in my estimation, that's not a bad thing, at all... just more "cool-ness" associated with this bass... I don't think it detracts from the bass's sell-a-bility...

Here's a picture of how the original Fender mutes would have been installed... and notice where the screws are...

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2020, 10:52 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
Moses wrote:

With all due respect - I don't recall Fender mutes ever requiring five holes for installation... and those holes are literally under the bridge; no-way a mute could be installed that close to the bridge... someone installed a different bridge a long time ago, then re-installed the original bridge... and, in my estimation, that's not a bad thing, at all... just more "cool-ness" associated with this bass... I don't think it detracts from the bass's sell-a-bility...

Here's a picture of how the original Fender mutes would have been installed... and notice where the screws are...

Plus, I don't believe Fender ever had string mutes on the P bass. They were only installed on the earliest J basses before being discontinued in '63. The mute on the P bass was always a piece of foam glued to the underside of the bridge cover.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2020, 11:01 am 

Peter is correct

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2020, 2:44 pm 

Well, it's all speculation. There's no way to be sure. It has 42 years of history now and I know nothing of it's previous owners. Bought it on Ebay. No, the holes are not underneath the bridge. They're all fully visible, but if you tried to put a screw all the way into them, the head of the screw would come down to rest on top of the bridge for most of the holes. Whatever hardware was there was certainly aftermarket, not a stock Fender product. The holes are not even aligned with each other well. It's conceivable that it could have been an aftermarket bridge, but I have never seen a bridge with a five-forward hole pattern like that; you'd get tail lift like on a Ric or worse, it would be awful and I can't imagine any reason someone would do a mod like that. Perhaps the original bridge was relocated for some crazy reason. The finish wear shows that the bridge cover stayed on the bass for much of it's life. I have not removed the bridge to find out if there are any additional aftermarket holes underneath it.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2020, 2:54 pm 

Could it possibly have been some sort of mono bridge system?
I agree though, doesn’t detract much from the bass. Could’ve been some hack repair job or “custom” work. Just adds to the story of the bass I think.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2020, 3:34 pm 

I've seen aftermarket mutes before that where just a straight piece so maybe the previous owner had it installed as close to the bridge as possible.
Honestly?
It doesn't bother me at all and if I didn't already had other P-basses I would be all over this one, beautiful bass!
GLWTS!
EDIT: Looking closer there are 5 holes, not 4 like on the mutes I've seen and they are aligned with the bridge screws so maybe they moved the bridge at some point... regardless I still like it! A Hipshot Kickass bridge would cover those holes easily.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2020, 8:30 am 

PM'd

PostPosted: August 9th, 2020, 12:14 am 

paulo wrote:
I've seen aftermarket mutes before that where just a straight piece so maybe the previous owner had it installed as close to the bridge as possible.
Honestly?
It doesn't bother me at all and if I didn't already had other P-basses I would be all over this one, beautiful bass!
GLWTS!
EDIT: Looking closer there are 5 holes, not 4 like on the mutes I've seen and they are aligned with the bridge screws so maybe they moved the bridge at some point... regardless I still like it! A Hipshot Kickass bridge would cover those holes easily.

Those holes are a part of this bass's history, and mojo... doesn't detract from the price, (which is quite fair these days...)...

PostPosted: August 10th, 2020, 10:01 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
paulo wrote:
Honestly?
GLWTS!

Those holes are a part of this bass's history, and mojo... doesn't detract from the price, (which is quite fair these days...)...

+1

PostPosted: August 20th, 2020, 1:34 pm 

Well guys, I sold the bass for $1800 plus shipping on Reverb ;) I did get a message from matt7 but he never read my response, so, sorry dude.

Thanks for complimenting my bass one last time everyone. So much fun to play on and so pretty, I am gonna miss her! But I've got my Frankenfenders and with all gigs dried up for the time being I'm hoping to put the cash to work a different project.