LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:58 pm

Post subject: Need a Little Help - Sire MM question.
PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 2:48 pm 

I recently found a lefty MM Sire V7 Vintage (I think - black inlays) 5-string, and I have a question. I am happy with the sound, workmanship, etc., and only slightly concerned about the weight, which is related to the question.

I have no idea what kind of wood was used. The body is the orange-reddish sparkle and I cannot see any wood grain through that paint. But, I see on the website that they make both ASH and ALDER bodies in this model, both in that same paint scheme, and you cannot see the wood grain in either on the website. So, what do I have?

It weighs 10.4 lbs, which leads me to think it might be ash. I have a 36" scale, five-string Knuckle that weighs only 10.6 lbs, and a five-string all-mahogany Carvin that weighs only 9.4 lbs.

Could someone weigh their fiver and let me know the results? Of course, I wrote to the company, but I have not heard back and really don't expect to hear from them.

Can someone help a brother out?

Either way, I am keeping it. Nice little jazz bass.

Post subject: Re: Need a Little Help - Sire MM question.
PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 5:13 pm 

ezstep wrote:
I recently found a lefty MM Sire V7 Vintage (I think - black inlays) 5-string, and I have a question. I am happy with the sound, workmanship, etc., and only slightly concerned about the weight, which is related to the question.

I have no idea what kind of wood was used. The body is the orange-reddish sparkle and I cannot see any wood grain through that paint. But, I see on the website that they make both ASH and ALDER bodies in this model, both in that same paint scheme, and you cannot see the wood grain in either on the website. So, what do I have?

It weighs 10.4 lbs, which leads me to think it might be ash. I have a 36" scale, five-string Knuckle that weighs only 10.6 lbs, and a five-string all-mahogany Carvin that weighs only 9.4 lbs.

Could someone weigh their fiver and let me know the results? Of course, I wrote to the company, but I have not heard back and really don't expect to hear from them.

Can someone help a brother out?

Either way, I am keeping it. Nice little jazz bass.

Aren't the Sire V7s all alder with the rosewood, Ash with the maple fretboards? If you have maple with black inlays, then I think you're right and you have Ash.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 7:21 pm 

I honestly do not know. But, yes, I have maple f/b with black inlays. So, you might be correct.

It is a little heavy, but nothing I cannot handle for a four-hour gig. Nice bass, little money. I asked they guy I bought it from and he did not know.

Thanks.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 6:09 am 

May not be of any help, but we have a 4-string with
maple on maple neck and ash body. It tips the scale at
over 9-1/2 lbs. Considering the extra wood, larger
hardware and additional string of a 5-string, it sounds
about right.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 1:49 pm 

Thanks.