LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:12 am

Post subject: Overpriced MIM
PostPosted: January 28th, 2021, 10:59 pm 

I know this subject has come up before, but the prices people are asking for used Fenders is just wacky lately. I’ve always wanted grab one of these but not for nearly $300 over the price of what it cost new.. yikes. I didn’t even think it was worth putting in the Spotted forum.

https://reverb.com/item/38556157-2006-f ... -jazz-bass

Post subject: Re: Overpriced MIM
PostPosted: January 29th, 2021, 9:04 am 

Yeah, unless I'm mistaken (always possible), I think that's from a special run made for Guitar Center in the early '10s. They look nice, and they don't pop up too often. But I agree that it's a $400 or $500 bass.

It's weird watching prices creep up in this economy--officially the slowest since WWII. For new products, I sort of understand. That is to say, I read a business case about it once. :D

For non-essentials, when times get tough, people can either buy your product or not. Generally you're going to make fewer sales. If you drop your prices, you're not going to increase sales volume much, due to people temporarily leaving the market. So you make less profit on fewer sales. It's a double-ouch.

If you raise prices/margin, you might lose a few sales, but you'll take more profit on the sales you do make. You can slow production to let your workforce/suppliers absorb some of the hit.

But seeing prices shoot up in the second-hand market is different. And I think maybe used sellers mistake the new product price increase as inflationary, when actually it's just a cynical business maneuver.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2021, 2:51 am 

Brand new these basses were most likely sold for about $450 new...

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2021, 5:34 am 

I remember in the early 80's US Fenders were about $350 and you could get older Fenders for just a little more.