LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:43 am

Post subject: Lefty Kubicki Bass
PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 6:36 am 

I thought I'd share this little story I found on Kubicki Facebook page regarding the only left handed Kubicki bass ever made. This is one of those ever elusive basses I've always wanted. Note the righty neck though, so Philip couldn't exactly produce a "true" 100% lefty:

A lot of bass players have wondered about this...Did Phil ever make a left-handed Ex Factor? Yes, Phil Kubicki DID make a left-handed Ex Factor. Just one. Mine. #023. I will be forever grateful to him for his kindness in consenting to make it. It took two years! The first year was just to get him to say yes, and another year to get it made. I dedicated a FB page to him and it. Stop by and take a look at his creation. A wonderful guy, as you all know. I miss him.

Attachment:
12241696_102103143490251_1246550862906606900_n.jpg
12241696_102103143490251_1246550862906606900_n.jpg [ 60.33 KiB | Viewed 8588 times ]

Post subject: Re: Lefty Kubicki Bass
PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 8:17 am 

That's a really cool bass!!
And special too!

PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 10:55 am 

That Kubicki is a cool Bass!

For standard 2+2 necks it isn't a problem, but I suppose when you're hand building special orders, sometimes it's just easier to not invest in making a lefty neck. I have an early 70's vintage Hofner 182 that was a special order lefty- and for the inline 4 neck, Hofner did the same thing (at least they put the logo on facing the right way)!

PostPosted: December 20th, 2017, 1:24 pm 

My old school Kubicki necks from 1984/85:

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 8:30 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Note the righty neck though, so Philip couldn't exactly produce a "true" 100% lefty:

Considering this is a lefty body, with a right hand neck, strung right handed, it doesn't matter (to me anyway) that it isn't a true lefty neck...

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 10:29 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
pjmuck wrote:
Note the righty neck though, so Philip couldn't exactly produce a "true" 100% lefty:

Considering this is a lefty body, with a right hand neck, strung right handed, it doesn't matter (to me anyway) that it isn't a true lefty neck...

True, for this particular bassist it works as it should, though for me it wouldn't unless I really needed to drop my G to F for some reason. :lol:

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 12:31 pm 

Lucky fellla. I did write to him once or twice to ask, and the answer was no. I'd always wanted a lefty like that - it just looks the biz. I did try a RH one in Taiwan, it was used and I did think of getting it just for the parts so I could build a lefty body for it....

pjmuck wrote:
I thought I'd share this little story I found on Kubicki Facebook page regarding the only left handed Kubicki bass ever made. This is one of those ever elusive basses I've always wanted. Note the righty neck though, so Philip couldn't exactly produce a "true" 100% lefty:

A lot of bass players have wondered about this...Did Phil ever make a left-handed Ex Factor? Yes, Phil Kubicki DID make a left-handed Ex Factor. Just one. Mine. #023. I will be forever grateful to him for his kindness in consenting to make it. It took two years! The first year was just to get him to say yes, and another year to get it made. I dedicated a FB page to him and it. Stop by and take a look at his creation. A wonderful guy, as you all know. I miss him.

Attachment:
12241696_102103143490251_1246550862906606900_n.jpg

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 1:37 pm 

I will always see John Taylor opening Duran Duran's Live Aid set with "A View To A Kill" in my mind when I see one of those.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 6:12 pm 

Agent00Soul wrote:
I will always see John Taylor opening Duran Duran's Live Aid set with "A View To A Kill" in my mind when I see one of those.

Yes! Good memory. :)

The first guy I ever saw/heard playing one was probably Stu Hamm. Erik Sanko, founder of one of my all time favorite bands, Skeleton Key, has played one most of his career. He has a very unique sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLgPOSCi48

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 7:39 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Agent00Soul wrote:

Yes! Good memory. :)

The first guy I ever saw/heard playing one was probably Stu Hamm. Erik Sanko, founder of one of my all time favorite bands, Skeleton Key, has played one most of his career. He has a very unique sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLgPOSCi48

Don't know why, but his sound, and the band, reminds me of Primus...

Here he is playing a white one... lousy audio... cool song... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2p_wLJ7bU