LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:22 am

Post subject: Fender set to replace rosewood on Mexican and American Elite
PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 1:20 pm 

http://www.musicradar.com/news/fender-s ... and-basses

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

Post subject: Re: Fender set to replace rosewood on Mexican and American E
PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 10:06 pm 

I think you're gonna see a lot more of this by the fall.
Not quite time to start hoarding all your basses with rosewood yet, but it's not far off either

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 5:41 am 

bigevilrobot wrote:
I think you're gonna see a lot more of this by the fall.
Not quite time to start hoarding all your basses with rosewood yet, but it's not far off either

Why would you? Good riddance. Who needs a bass you can't sell or otherwise transport internationally.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 8:37 am 

Moses wrote:
Who needs a bass you can't sell or otherwise transport internationally.

Carrying small amounts of Rosewood across international borders is permitted. So, you can take a Rosewod instrument with you to a foreign country.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 10:41 am 

I am leaving on tour flying to Europe for 20 days. I sure hope so because I am bringing my Rosewood board Spector with me.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2017, 2:05 am 

superheavydeathmetal wrote:

Carrying small amounts of Rosewood across international borders is permitted. So, you can take a Rosewod instrument with you to a foreign country.

Is there any way to check with the CITES agency, Customs, or the airlines, and see just what the limits, or amount you can carry is without getting guitars/basses confiscated? Would hate to see Gravesbass lose an instrument because some Customs official doesn't know exactly how the restrictions are carried out...

PostPosted: May 21st, 2017, 1:32 pm 

From reading through a bunch of current CITES material, it appears that taking a bass that contains rosewood with you to another country is permitted if you are using it for performance or personal enjoyment. If you are using it for commercial purposes, there seems to be some grey area. It also appears to be perfectly ok to buy a bass in another country and take it back with you. The big issue is shipping over international borders. That's where it's real clear that you need the appropriate paperwork or the instrument could be seized with no recourse to get it back. Charges and huge fines could also follow.

Basically this would appear to kill a lot of buying and selling of basses that contain rosewood between USA and Canada where I live. There is a very good chance you could ship the bass and never have a problem, but who wants to take that chance.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2017, 11:24 am 

crabby wrote:
From reading through a bunch of current CITES material, it appears that taking a bass that contains rosewood with you to another country is permitted if you are using it for performance or personal enjoyment. If you are using it for commercial purposes, there seems to be some grey area. It also appears to be perfectly ok to buy a bass in another country and take it back with you. The big issue is shipping over international borders. That's where it's real clear that you need the appropriate paperwork or the instrument could be seized with no recourse to get it back. Charges and huge fines could also follow.

Basically this would appear to kill a lot of buying and selling of basses that contain rosewood between USA and Canada where I live. There is a very good chance you could ship the bass and never have a problem, but who wants to take that chance.

+1
It's the shipping that will get ya. Simply traveling with a bass that you own/have is ok -- I've done it already, internationally. That said, you never know if the agent in front of you understands the nuances of the law, so I guess there's always a bit of a risk until it becomes more established and understood.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2017, 12:55 pm 

Good info.. I'll check a little but willing to take that chance. I don't want to bring over one of my GOOD basses knowing its going to get beat up anyways.

Cheers
Jim