LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:08 pm

Post subject: Big Sister Bass..
PostPosted: April 30th, 2017, 5:17 am 

Some of you may have heard of the Little Sister Guitar, a very custom, high-end guitar... Well, now the company is offering a Big Sister Bass - very beautiful, very expensive, but no up-charge for a lefty... check out the page, and the short video... very nice! https://bngguitars.com/big-sister

Post subject: Re: Big Sister Bass..
PostPosted: April 30th, 2017, 8:31 am 
Site Admin

That's very nice. they do a great job of balancing modern features with vintage styling.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2017, 6:47 am 

I have been following B&G guitars for a while now. They make some beautiful instruments. They also recently introduced a new cheaper line, I forget the name. Offshored to china or somewhere. Hopefully they keep the quality up. All the regulars are handmade in Israel.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 3:40 pm 

Just sent them an e-mail. If the Big Sister Bass is a true Hollow body (like my Gretsch Broadkaster), then I'll be ordering one. $3500 is no more expensive than A new German Hofner 500/1, and a Hell of a lot less than a Custom Shop Lefty Gretsch will cost... And it will fill one of the 2 remaining spots in my herd. Thanks for the post! :)

PostPosted: June 26th, 2017, 10:05 am 

Got a reply from B&G this morning (wow, that was quick!). Sadly - for me, anyway - the Big Sister bass is "chambered". Back and sides are one piece, with a big center block running not quite the length of the body. They offer a solid body option, too... Nice, but not what I'm looking for. So, my quest continues.... ;)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2017, 2:38 pm 

GIBrat51 wrote:
Got a reply from B&G this morning (wow, that was quick!). Sadly - for me, anyway - the Big Sister bass is "chambered". Back and sides are one piece, with a big center block running not quite the length of the body. They offer a solid body option, too... Nice, but not what I'm looking for. So, my quest continues.... ;)

Too bad... would have been nice to get your review on it, if it had been hollow body. I'm curious why they chamber, instead of building hollow bodies. You might try asking them and see what their reasons are for going with chambering....

PostPosted: June 28th, 2017, 4:00 pm 

I know why. It's easier, simpler, quicker, and less expensive to rout 2/3's of the body out of a solid piece of... whatever... than it is to build what's essentially an acoustic guitar. I have no problem whatsoever with a routed out chambered/semi-hollow body bass or guitar. My '87 Rick 330 guitar is made this way; and so are all 3 of my Danelectros. All of them play and sound perfectly fine... especially the Rick. My problem is that I already have 2 "long scale semi-hollow body" basses, and don't really want 3. I'm after a 34" scale, genuine hollow body bass; and, it's proving to be a very elusive quarry... ;)

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 12:12 am 

Yes, it is much much more difficult (and labor intensive) to design and build a hollowbody that can stand up to the tension of an EADG set than a guitar an octave up.