LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:26 am

Post subject: What tuning do you usually play in...?
PostPosted: March 19th, 2008, 6:42 pm 

I would like to know what tuning you play in and what gauge of strings you prefer...I'm curious to see how many people downtune/use alternate tunings, plus I'd like to know many people love those big, fat, thick strings!

I myself use all sorts of tunings when I play (being that I play along to cds and such)...standard, Eb standard, D standard, Drop D, Drop C#, Drop C (for my four string)...for my original stuff that I've played, I would say Drop C, but its becoming all too common to downtune these days, so tuning in standard is almost like a breath of fresh air.

For my 5 string, I pretty much leave it alone (BEADG) but I will experiment with tuning it down a half step and possibly tuning AEADG...

I prefer thicker gauged strings!!! For my four string I use 110-90-75-55 (Ernie Ball Power Slinky set) and for my 5 string I use 130 (though I have a 125 on there now, bleh)-105-80-65-45...I have a DR set on now that I had to buy in a pinch, but I am going to be putting on D'Addarios (one of the only brands I could find that have strings long enough for 35" scale/string-thru body basses). Ideally I'd like a 135-110-90-70-50 set. Anyone know a manufacturer that makes those gauges in a set, or possibly I could order them separately (remember the 35" scale AND string-thru body!) from? Thanks, and happy posting!

Post subject: Re: What tuning do you usually play in...?
PostPosted: March 19th, 2008, 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

I mostly play in standard or dropped D. I like a tad heavier string now and then, but typically use DR highbeams in 45-105 gauge. I'll get 50-110 in a pinch though, no problem.

I don't know about gauges but DR does make strings especially for long scale/thru body basses.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2008, 8:54 pm 

Yeah, I had to buy the 6 string LONG NECK set from GC cuz they didn't have a 5 string set in stock (I dont even think they stock them). I just tossed the .30 and used the rest...it was honestly the only string set in the damn store that fit my bass, which is pretty ridiculous. Hateful Guitar Center thread to follow shortly!

PostPosted: March 19th, 2008, 10:08 pm 

Standard tuning for me as well with a drop D via a Hipshot on my E string. I only play 4 stringers, though I am interested in possibly getting a 6 string at some point. But I'm not a fan of the flabby B strings found on most fivers I've played.

I also am a big fan of the Elixir Nanowebs in 45-105 gauge, and use them as my first roundwound choice, primarily because I'm too lazy (and cheap) to replace strings every few weeks. I also use flats on certain basses, though that varies depending on the bass. I tried TI flats and found them to be too loose and lacking tension on everything I tried them on EXCEPT when I put them on my '71 Tele bass. They work great on that bass. Also use D'Addario Chromes on some basses like my Precision.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2008, 10:25 am 

Most of my band's stuff is written in drop-D, but a few songs are in E standard tuning. I'm reminded every day that installing my Hipshot Bass Xtender was a good idea - it's funny to watch the expressions on my guitarists' faces as I tune up and down in a brief moment while they're still trying to tune by ear or tuner. :mrgreen:

I prefer 45-65-85-105 as my gauge of choice. I was using Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys for a while, but I'm currently using D'Addario XLs and I'm very satisfied with the results. I'm not sure if I want to go back to Slinkys.

I've played 4-string basses all my life. Never been satisfied with a 5-string tuned BEADG... but if I were to get one, I'd opt for one with a high C string and a detuner on the E string.

BTW, Subsonic... D'Addario sells individual strings. You could buy a four-string set and add on the B of your choice.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 10:30 pm 

I tend to use Super Slinkys on my SR4 which are pretty light (45-100) and then regular Slinkys on my SR5 which are the same guage with an added 130 B string. The regular Slinky 5 string set seems kind of wonky with the lighter first 4 strings and then the huge B, but on my SR5, they feel very well balanced and even.

I tried a set of Blue Steels Mediums on the SR5 at one point which were completely different. The low B was a 128 and the then the others were 50-105. They were very high tension strings I found and although they growled, the bass did not feel as playable. Funny thing was that B string was really weak and lifeless right out of the package and it took all the fun out of having a 5 string.

I went back to the regular Slinkys and the bass just came back to life. I keep thinking I need to experiment with some other brands (never tried DR's) but the EB strings are inexpensive, readily available and sound great on EB basses.

Having said all that, i put a set of Super Slinkys on my fretless passive Jazz, and am really not liking them. Not enough growl and they feel really thin and floppy on this bass. I will be experimenting with this bass for sure.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2008, 2:12 pm 

Update: I'm back to Hybrid Slinkys. They sound better with a pick, IMO. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 14th, 2008, 2:08 pm 

I used to play in D standard, since the guys I was playing with all had that.
Now I play in E and occasionally dropped D. Those are the only tunings I need for anything
Got fed up with all that downtuning when they said they wanted to go down to C standard.
I dont want my bass to sound like a tank 8-)

PostPosted: April 14th, 2008, 4:01 pm 

I play and write almost exclusively in drop-D, but occasionally go into D-G-D-G or even C-G-D-G (I don't detune to sound "heavier" I just like the different voicings I can get with those tunings). I stopped playing bass for a while (was playing guitar in an indie/doom-pop band for about a year and a half) and now I can't remember what strings I used to use... weird the stuff you forget. I recently converted my POS Ibanez TR to a fretless (ie: soldering iron, pliers, flathead, woodfiller, & epoxy) and tossed some heavy-gauge flatwounds on it and it went from collecting dust to inspiring all kinds of new creativity. However, I'm still trying to find strings that make me love my Carvin the way I used to... I'm thinking about moving over to flatswounds for it as well... but I'm not sure if they'll have enough "attack" for the more Alkaline Trio/Muse driving 16th/32nd note moments that my band incorporates into our mostly Explosions In The Sky type post-rock.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2008, 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

If you like playing flatwounds then perhaps the answer is to get an eq pedal to kick on for your busier flourishes and add some bite that way. Check out the Tronographic Rusty Box (I have a thread on it in the effects section). It will give you lots of upper end bite without being brittle or sharp on your ears.

Have you tried the Steve Harris signature flats? The tension of that string is nice for dropped tunings.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2008, 8:08 pm 

baalroo wrote:
I recently converted my POS Ibanez TR to a fretless (ie: soldering iron, pliers, flathead, woodfiller, & epoxy) and tossed some heavy-gauge flatwounds on it and it went from collecting dust to inspiring all kinds of new creativity.

I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing to my POS Ibanez...i've already experimented taking out frets on one of my acoustic guitars and I think I can do it just fine without messing up the fretboard a whole lot. Then, that gives me another excuse to get a GOOD 4 stringer! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 21st, 2008, 3:33 pm 

I've been stringing my basses BEAD (130, 105, 85, 65) the past few years. Since I found that I prefer 4-strings and don't use the G much, I thought I'd give it a try. It's working out very well, at least for live playing. I really like the sound of the E on the 5th fret of the B-string, quite punchy. Also, I get the impression that the more mass a neck has, the better the B string translates but there's probably more factors involved than that. My 4-string Warwick has a thick neck and handles the B well.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2008, 5:01 pm 

I thought about doing that also...i dont use the G string much either, but i prefer having that low B...how much would it cost to get a nut filed out (or is this something you can do yourself...) to accomodate the thicker string set? RODENT? :mrgreen: