LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:41 am

Post subject: Fender American Pro P-Bass vs Custom Warmoth P-Bass
PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 7:27 pm 

Curious to know if anyone owns/has tried Fender's new line of American Pro P-Basses and could compare it's performance and build quality to that of a comparable Warmoth Build? I've priced out a Warmoth build that is only $100-150 less than Fender's $1449.99 asking price, so I've got to ask.

While I will admit that I would be getting exactly what I want by going with Warmoth, my main concern is that there is no guarantee that I'm gonna like it; it might be heavier than anticipated, not have proper balance, etc, etc... not to mention I would be forfeiting a 30-45 day return policy and higher resale value.

So, is the inevitable spec compromise and higher Fender price worth it, did Fender really dial this one in and get it right, is the overall package a good value? A buddy of mine just told me today that it's one of the best P-basses he's ever played and it only weighs 8.5 lbs! Does anyone else share this opinion?

Post subject: Re: Fender American Pro P-Bass vs Custom Warmoth P-Bass
PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 7:34 pm 

In about 2 weeks, I'll have one of those in my hand. I'm sure it'll be pretty similar to any American Standard. Aside from a few minor tweaks, that's all the American Pro series is anyway.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 7:46 pm 

Matt R. wrote:
In about 2 weeks, I'll have one of those in my hand. I'm sure it'll be pretty similar to any American Standard. Aside from a few minor tweaks, that's all the American Pro series is anyway.

Haha, fantastic! I'll be looking forward to your feedback then. Which of the 3 finishes did you go with? The tweaks are minor in a sense, but isn't the '63 neck profile supposed to be quite different from it's recent predecessors?

It's too bad they don't offer a maple board as a standard option. Although, I guess it is progress that they are finally offering one through the mod shop for another $250?... merp

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 8:04 pm 

I think the neck profile is the most significant difference (seemingly), but overall I'm not getting the impression that the changes will be much more radical than any of the changes that happened during the "American Standard" phase if that makes sense. It's all about that rebranding for the most part.
I got Olympic White.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 1:40 am 

I love my Warmoth. It plays every bit as well as an Am. Fender, and looks every bit as good, but it is a little heavier. It is a beefy bass. The P profile is a little thicker front to back than Fender's, as is the body.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 7:33 am 

Moses wrote:
I love my Warmoth. It plays every bit as well as an Am. Fender, and looks every bit as good, but it is a little heavier. It is a beefy bass. The P profile is a little thicker front to back than Fender's, as is the body.

Great, thanks for providing your feedback! Weight and balance are definitely my biggest concerns, do you have any idea how much your Warmoth weighs? It would be great if I could land somewhere in the mid 8 lb range... I was thinking of going with an ash or alder chambered body, with a slim tapered roasted maple neck with graphite rods as a means to try and achieve that. Unless you buy from Warmoth's in stock parts, there is no way to know in advance how much the parts all weigh, that's the gamble I'm nervous about.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 7:38 pm 

Sorry, I don't have a way to accurately measure it, but I'd put money on it being 9 pounds.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 8:14 am 

Matt R. wrote:

Did you get your bass, what do you think?

Thanks.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 9:23 am 

flavman1 wrote:
Matt R. wrote:

Thanks.

Hey, sorry for the delay. I had 2 different delays getting the bass shipped to me. It had been on back order from Sweetwater.
I got it Thursday, and have gigged it a few times since. The thing is pretty much perfect. Immaculate fit & finish, and sounds so good. What surprised me the most is that I didn't have to replace the pots, etc. Fender actually bothered to wire the bass correctly so that the controls actually have taper. Weight is moderate. Definitely not heavy, but no feather either. I haven't actually weighed it though. Factory setup was lame of course, but minimal tweaking had this thing singing really nice. I did change out the pickguard & pickup covers, but otherwise this bass is functionally stock. I'm really happy with it. I've missed having a Precision.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 9:57 am 

Well phooey to you sir! Now I'll have to give one of these some serious thought. And just when I lied to myself about getting my finances in order. Thank god for tax returns. ;)

I am curious if it's worth the investment over the previous AM Std P, which I've (ore or less) been pretty happy with. Wish I could A/B them. Am Stds are still out there and likely to drop in price as dealers want to get rid of old stock. The one thing that's peaked my interest in these new Pro models is the new neck profile, as the thinner flatter profile of the Am Std P is not a favorite of mine.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 2:02 pm 

Matt R. wrote:
flavman1 wrote:
Matt R. wrote:

Thanks.

Hey, sorry for the delay. I had 2 different delays getting the bass shipped to me. It had been on back order from Sweetwater.
I got it Thursday, and have gigged it a few times since. The thing is pretty much perfect. Immaculate fit & finish, and sounds so good. What surprised me the most is that I didn't have to replace the pots, etc. Fender actually bothered to wire the bass correctly so that the controls actually have taper. Weight is moderate. Definitely not heavy, but no feather either. I haven't actually weighed it though. Factory setup was lame of course, but minimal tweaking had this thing singing really nice. I did change out the pickguard & pickup covers, but otherwise this bass is functionally stock. I'm really happy with it. I've missed having a Precision.

No worries, sorry you had a delay in getting your bass. Fantastic, glad to hear that you are digging it! Well, so far I'm 2 for 2 in hearing that it's a near perfect bass. Can anyone else chime in, could this be a coincidence or just further proof that Fender is on to something?

I'd like to hear more about what you think once you get a few more gigs under your belt and what it weighs if you ever end up knowing. This kinda tips the scale back on the Fender route, so how would you rate this bass against any of the Warmoth builds you've owned? Along with pjmuck, I'm also curious to know your thoughts on the neck profile.

Thanks

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 2:18 pm 

The neck profile of course feels chunky. I haven't played a P in a couple years so I had to get used to it again. Very comfy neck, criminally low action. Good balance too. Definitely as good as Warmoth. I'm glad I bought it.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 2:29 pm 

Interesting, this bass has got my attention.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 10:03 pm 

I wouldn't sneeze at an NOS American Standard (2008-2016) as they are for the most part really good. I picked up a 2014 P a few months ago and the Custon Shop pickup is great. It setup like a dream and sounds fantastic. At the prices they are being blown out at, it's hard to pay full price for a new version. I ended up buying a USA strat as well on Boxing Day as the blowout prices were just too good to pass up. :)

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 3:43 pm 

The revamped Precisions are really enticing. I have a 2012 AmStd Jazz, love it, and can't really justify buying a P right now, and besides, I've got to wait until they come out with maple boards without having to go to Fender's mod shop.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 3:47 pm 

I really like the antique olive finish but it doesn't look like they offer it in left handed...

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 4:08 am 

JFYI, Sweetwater is offering financing on 2017 Fenders... $31/month for a new bass!

pete

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 7:00 am 

I wouldn't mind buying an instrument on credit if I knew I was going to pay it off before I started gassing for another one :D

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 9:30 am 

Yeah.....good luck with that one Tim! If you figure out how, please do share with the rest of us!