LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:45 pm

Post subject: Hofner, oh Hofner, how you trouble me so...
PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 11:11 am 

Hi folks. I've been looking into the Hofner models again and I'd love any opinions or insights you have. I have one of the B-Bass HI Series that's a few years old; it cost me around $300-350. I have La Bella Beatle Bass Black Nylon Tapewound strings on it. I also jammed a foam pad back by the bridge. I love playing it and it sounds great when I want to get my "Paul" on. But I'm always left wondering how the $800 and (gasp) $2500-3000 Hofners compare. As we know, German-made Hofners are wicked expensive--about a 10X cost increase! There's lots of dialogue online about the fact that the German ones are just not worth the price gouging. But I'm still left wondering... What am I missing? How much better are the more expensive models? I know about all the differences when you look at the Hofner specs, but c'mon, when you look at other manufacturer's pricing tiers you don't see that kind of price increase, e.g., going from a Mexi P bass to an American Standard doesn't cost 10X. I'm inclined to order a German-made one from Guitar Center to just try it out... and most likely bring it back before the 30-day return window is up. You can probably tell I'm not convinced to spend that kind of money on a German-made model. I should probably just stick to the one I have and be happy. But I'd love your thoughts, so post I do... Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Hofner, oh Hofner, how you trouble me so...
PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 11:38 am 

I have a German made one. It's a custom shop Euroburst model, and it was one of the pricey ones. It's got more of that sturdy, handcrafted feel and great attention to fit, finish, and detail as one might hope and expect for the price. It's A+++ in every way. My particular one has more sustain and even-ness all across the fingerboard than any other German Hoffy I've ever owned. The price made me have heart arrhythmia but I'm glad I did it because I love it and it's a very unique example.

I also once held/played one of the $300ish ones briefly-didn't own it though. I considered buying it just to dick around with it, maybe rip the frets out, something like that, but I passed. Overall, the cheap model looked, felt, and sounded exactly like garbage. Some of the components on the one I played felt flimsy and cheap as well. Your mileage may vary of course, and those can do the trick if you tweak them right.

I haven't played the middle of the road $800 one, but my understanding is that they are Asian made, but have German pickups (and maybe other components as well?), and I think they have a center block, making them a semi-hollow instead of the hollow bodied German ones. Again, I've never played one but I have always heard great reviews.

As far as justifying the wild price differences, well that's too subjective. My advice would be to spend sub two grand on a used German v63 model. They're often nearly as nice as the Euroburst I have now, and you're still getting the "real" thing.

I hope my babbling is somewhat useful. :oops:

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 11:46 am 

Very, very helpful Matt--thank you. I really appreciate you & this forum being a sounding board.

Matt R. wrote:
I also once held/played one of the $300ish ones briefly-didn't own it though. I considered buying it just to dick around with it, maybe rip the frets out, something like that, but I passed. Overall, the cheap model looked, felt, and sounded exactly like garbage. Some of the components on the one I played felt flimsy and cheap as well. Your mileage may vary of course, and those can do the trick if you tweak them right.

I should have mentioned that my bass does feel VERY VERY cheap and I have to tweak a lot on an amp to get the sound I want. (Did I mention the bass feels VERY cheap?!?) The tonal balance is inconsistent and there are dead spots. And if I play it too hard, it literally feels like the bass is going to fall apart on the spot. [Am I answering my own question here?! :)]

Matt R. wrote:
My advice would be to spend sub two grand on a used German v63 model. They're often nearly as nice as the Euroburst I have now, and you're still getting the "real" thing.

This is great advice--I'll start looking...
EDIT: Hofner models somewhat confuse me over the years. When you say v63 model are you talking about the 'standard' 500/1?

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 11:53 am 

Awesome. Good luck man. They always seem to be on eBay, so start there maybe. And I'm certainly not an expert on these basses, but I've owned several. So if I can help out in any way, holla!

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 11:54 am 

Did you see my added question?
EDIT: Hofner models somewhat confuse me over the years. When you say v63 model are you talking about the 'standard' 500/1?

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 11:59 am 

Yes. There was also a v62 model, which was mininmally different. I think it just came down to strip tuners on one versus individual tuners on the other. But yeah, those are sort of the flagship McCartney inspired models.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 12:08 pm 

Gotcha, thanks!

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 12:12 pm 

You bet!

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 3:36 pm 

Well, I only own the German made Club Bass to compare, as well as a Hofner B-Bass Hi Series (Union Jack model; I actually haven't seen any other lefty Union Jacks in this cheaper model), and a Rogue VB bass.

I agree with Matt on the build and handmade front. My Club clearly has a higher attention to detail, is lighter and more resonant, beautiful finish, and came in a pretty killer lightweight aluminum case. But as for sound(s), sorry, I just don't have the discerning ear when comparing the cheaper ones vs. the German ones. I think the cheaper ones are very much in the ballpark. In fact, I like the Rogue's sound the best of the 3. The Club almost feels a little too fragile to me comparatively to the cheap ones too.

If I were a full time Hofner player or in a Beatle band, I might want the real deal, but I personally can't justify a $2400+ difference for a German one. For me, it's a 1 trick niche instrument that I do pull out for the 2 or 3 Beatle songs my cover band does, but that's about it. Considering Hofner jumped on the cheap bandwagon themselves when they were losing business to other companies is a testament to the fact that many people don't really hear or justify the price difference.

Sorry, Matt. ;)

PostPosted: November 17th, 2016, 3:39 pm 

Ha, nothing to be sorry about my friend! Different strokes and all. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 18th, 2016, 5:07 am 

I have owned a Epiphone Viola bass, new German Hofner Bass and now I own a 68 Hofner bass. I agree with all the comments, for me I am a Bass player then Beatles fan. My first bass was a Ric, got it because at the time McCartney was playing a Ric with Wings but also other bands I loved such as Rush, Yes and many other bands that I idolized had Ric's and they were "The" bass to get in 79. I really considered a Hofner back then but the Ric was the right decision. Years later I started collecting, retired the Ric after 20 years of being my only bass (play it every now and then) and started with the Epiphone, great look and OK sound but not a Hofner, then got a German Hofner in a trade, sold hat to a board member here and got a 68 Hofner in banged up condition but really cool and great sounding.

My only advise is there is only one real Hofner and yes very expensive as they are hand made. If you want that unique sound, wait it out, every now and then you can find one for $1500-1700.

I am sure it has been shared but here is how they build The Hofner violin bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xADoIFoKa0Q

Never saw this one but again Hofner less than $2K.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Hofner/Limited-Edition-Ed-Sullivan-Show-Left-Handed-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

PostPosted: November 18th, 2016, 10:48 am 

What do you guys think of this one?
https://reverb.com/item/90139-1990-s-ho ... bass-lefty

It has screws in the holes where the pickguard was, and it's my understanding that new pickguards won't fit this model, but Paul removed his guard years ago, so it certainly is in line with his style. And I could always look for a period-specific guard that would fit if I ever wanted to... Also, it has the 'shark fin' pickups instead of the 'staple' pickups. I think the 'shark fin' have slightly higher output.

Anyway, weird that it was posted over 2 years ago and hasn't sold. Also, look at the back of the headstock... what's up with the Hofner sticker/label looking all messed up?!? ("Original" and "Made in Germany" look all out of whack.) Red flag?

Thanks for any insights you have.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2016, 11:17 am 

I would ask the seller those questions. Rock & Roll Vintage is a good place to deal with. That's where I got my Euroburst. Also, look up a guy named "Fran Festa" on facebook. He's a friendly guy, runs some FB groups on Hofner basses, and pretty much knows everything about these basses. I have a feeling he could help you out here.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2016, 11:38 am 

I asked the store and they said they've seen all kinds of crazy looking decals from Hofner--it doesn't give them cause for alarm. It's also interesting that the neck has fret dot markers on the 'wrong' side (facing down). They think a right-handed player probably owned the bass at some point and added the dots. (From Hofner, they've seen it all... no dots, dots on both sides, dots on the 'right' side.)

Do you have contact info for Fran? I'm (*gasp*) not on Facebook!

Thanks.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2016, 11:40 am 

No, sorry. I don't know him personally, just connected on facebook.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2016, 5:32 pm 

Good questions about the bass, also wanted to note that it is one of the darkest 500/1 basses I have seen.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2016, 3:33 pm 

Quoting Matt : "I haven't played the middle of the road $800 one, but my understanding is that they are Asian made, but have German pickups (and maybe other components as well?), and I think they have a center block, making them a semi-hollow instead of the hollow bodied German ones. Again, I've never played one but I have always heard great reviews."

Matt is right, do not overlook the CT Series. I personally think they are the best deal on the planet as far as Hofners are concerned. You get the German made electronics with the Asian made body- but the build quality, fit and finish on that body is extremely comparable to the German version and light years beyond the Hi Series which feels like a toy by comparison. I find with the center block you have a much more versatile sonic range, while still being able get the classic Hofner tone.

I have one available, near mint with upgraded the tuners and knobs to match the German versions. And the finish is beautiful. PM me if you're interested:
ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2016, 3:36 pm 

Will send PM shortly. Just got off plane to visit family for holiday.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2016, 9:25 pm 

PM sent

PostPosted: November 24th, 2016, 8:34 pm 

I love Beatle basses. Love the look, the design, and sound. I've had a Korean Rogue ($200?) for about 10 years, and it has fulfilled all my Beatle bass needs. I had a German Hofner Club for a few days, bought from Musicians Friends as a B-stock for $1500 (maybe 8 years ago). I loved the quality and look, but I didn't sound better than my $200 Rogue. The nature of design can only be improved so much.

And I'm sorry if I 've told this story many times before. Unless you are rich with absolutely disposable income, or you are in a big-shot, touring band where the brand of the bass you play is important, you don't really need a German Hofner.