LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:44 am

Post subject: Hello guys, it's good to be back! Please read...
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 4:23 pm 

Hey guys, Carmine here-

This is my first post in over a year. Time passes quickly and I doubt anyone's had time to notice my absence, but it really feels good to be writing this. Back in late August 2015, I was involved in an industrial accident which resulted in serious head, neck, shoulder and back injuries. I've spent most of the past year dealing with surgeries, injections, physical therapy and rehab, and though I've gotten back to where I can voice type again, I'm still struggling to play (for about eight months I didn't even look at a bass), but what I am able to do is inspiring, and I'm confident that I will continue to improve day by day.

I know several folks had sent me PMs over the last year, and probably wondered why no response... I hope you'll accept my apology- I will try to reply to each one individually ASAP.

Which brings me to another point. You guys who know me are aware that over many years I have accumulated a pretty massive collection of basses- lefties (and several righties too), vintage, new, rare, common,etc. you name it... I think it's over 200 basses total... oh yeah, I know how crazy that sounds...

The events of the past year have given me a lot to think about, and forced me to face the emotional and financial reality (not to mention the daunting physical reality) that I just can't keep all of these basses anymore. They need to be played and maintained, and I can't do it now. So I think maybe I'm ready to make the leap- figuratively speaking- to trying to figure out the best way to begin to move them on to new homes and owners. I'm sure I will keep some, and from day to day I don't know for sure which ones, or how many that will be. But most must go, and a few will stay.

I had someone help me set up a "store" on Reverb, and I'll be listing the right handers there as my situation permits. But I'd like to see the lefties find homes with folks here if possible, or at least first shot at them. So what makes sense... list three or four at a time (will take quite a while)? Post a typed list of everything, see who's interested in what, and let folks PM me (seems like that could get out of hand pretty quickly though)? I'm not in a huge hurry to sell any of them, but I know that the longer it takes, the more likely it is that I'll talk myself out of it.

I have a lot of respect for everyone's knowledge and opinions here, so I welcome anyone else's experiences, thoughts or suggestions as I try to work through this. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hello guys, it's good to be back! Please read...
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 6:00 pm 

Carmine - I just want to wish you a speedy recovery :)

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 6:10 pm 

Seconded. Get well brother!

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 6:47 pm 

That is such sad news, buddy. We are glad to have you back!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 6:48 pm 

Hey Carmine,

What an ordeal! Thank goodness you're finally coming through the other side.

I had only just joined when when you disappeared, but I had been lurking for a while before that. Glad have you back.

-tim

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 6:49 pm 

Basses are secondary. Getting you well is primary. Good to hear from you.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 7:08 pm 

Carmine wrote:
You guys who know me are aware that over many years I have accumulated a pretty massive collection of basses- lefties (and several righties too), vintage, new, rare, common,etc. you name it... I think it's over 200 basses total... oh yeah, I know how crazy that sounds...

By the way, since you know us, you know that, rather than crazy, that sounds like Heaven to just about everyone on this site! :lol:

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 7:40 pm 

Welcome back and get well!

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 10:19 pm 

So sorry to hear about your predicament! Welcome back and I hope you continue to get better. Thanks for openly sharing your story and I/we wish you the best...

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 12:48 am 

That must have been SOME accident! :shock: Glad to hear you're well on you way to mending, and hope it's not much longer down the road that you're able to get out and jam/play to your heart's desire!

As to your thoughts on how to sell your basses here on the forum - what about when you're ready, you determine just how many basses you want to list at one time - whether it be 3, 30, or 60, and post up a list of say 10 per post, with a brief description, link to pictures/additional info, and the price, and let the fur fly, as the saying goes! Other members have done that in the past, where they've thrown up a large list, and have had good success finding new homes for their babies.

I currently have "only" 32 basses, and thinking of selling at least half of them (which I NEED to do!...), is a somewhat daunting task. I don't envy the time-and-effort you're going to spend thinking about the first 50-to-100 that you choose to move on....! :)

Again, really glad to to "see" you back in the forum, and happy your health has turned the corner... Much Love and Aloha from Paradise! :D

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 4:37 am 

I wish you well on a speedy recovery. I'm sure you'll have little trouble finding good homes for those basses with
your friends here. Not even sure where you live, but if any other leftybassist members live close, I'm sure they'd
be willing to help.

These bass guitar shipping boxes are reasonable. https://www.uline.com/BL_7906/Guitar-Boxes

Anybody else know a cheaper source? Even at $7.77 each, that's $777 for 100 shipping boxes.

pete

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 4:59 am 

Carmine - Good to have you back, and don't give up hope for your bass playing! In 2000 a window shattered on me, severing the Ulnar nerve, tendon & artery in my right hand(the blood was spurting out like a bad horror flick, which was actually kind of cool to watch...)

I thought I was done playing, and had medical bills also, so I sold my lefty Rickenbacker 4003s/5-string, Eden & Mesa heads, and most of my other gear too. I would pick up a bass occasionally over the following years, even played in a blues/classic rock cover band for about 6-months, but was always frustrated that I could never get back to the level I'd been at before the accident.

Finally, about 4-years ago(and even though I'd not played in a couple years) some local guys begged me to join them. There was a street dance being held right outside our front door in a few weeks & they needed a bassist. So I reluctantly agreed, and had 3-weeks to learn/relearn 3-sets of material. The act of forcing myself to practice every night for those 3-weeks, even though the material wasn't very difficult, enabled me to finally regain enough strength and coordination in my right hand to feel good about my playing again, and 6-months afterwards I'd surpassed my pre-injury playing.

There are still limitations that have forced me to redevelop my playing: I have no feeling in my pinky finger & only 1/2-feeling in my ring finger, plus I lost the ability to spread the fingers on my right hand. Switching to a short-scale bass & using a lighter gauge of strings has helped, plus I've modified my technique to use my wrist to help stretch to the longer reaches. But I've also discovered new techniques along the way that I'd never even thought of pre-injury.

So don't give up! It will be frustrating and definitely challenging at times, but it IS achievable!!!

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 6:03 am 

get well soon, all the best! Indeed, health is primary !! No health = no nothin'.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 7:56 am 

Also, I gave my GF the bad news... you guys should also do some preemptive informationing. :-)

pete

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 8:07 am 

screambasses wrote:
Also, I gave my GF the bad news... you guys should also do some preemptive informationing. :-)

pete

Hahaha, I thought about it, too, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I've made such a big deal about the Warwick since January, and only finally bought one a week ago :D

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 8:51 am 

Geez, Carmine. I wasn't expecting this. :o

Very, very saddened to hear your news. :( I hope all the best for you.

As others have stated, health is priority #1. I know you've amassed a huge collection over the years, but when all is said and done it's basically "stuff" vs. THE most important thing you own: yourself. I know your circumstances have forced you into a terrible position, but sometimes it takes drastic circumstances to help release us from inner/outer clutter or things that distract us from focusing on what's truly important. I hope you will be able to use this time to discover new inspirations in your life.

Stay strong, brother, and welcome back.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 10:51 am 

Wow! Welcome back. I think your humongous sale thread turning up on Google search is what originally led me to this site.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 11:42 am 

Welcome back Carmine - I'm glad you are recovering!!

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 12:12 pm 

screambasses wrote:
These bass guitar shipping boxes are reasonable. https://www.uline.com/BL_7906/Guitar-Boxes

Anybody else know a cheaper source? Even at $7.77 each, that's $777 for 100 shipping boxes.

pete

That's a good deal for a box, which of course would be passed on to the buyer as part of the shipping charge, plus a small amount added on to pay for the original shipment of the boxes shipment! :)

PostPosted: October 24th, 2016, 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Carmine,
Thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear you were injured but glad that there's progress in your recovery.

I don't have any advice on how to go about selling basses but I appreciate you want to give us first crack at them. That's kind of you to consider.

Is there anything we can do here to help you?