LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 7:26 am

Post subject: Thoughts on these models for a short scale hollow/semi?
PostPosted: August 31st, 2016, 1:23 pm 

As the title implies, I'm looking for a short scale (non-negotiable) hollow or semi hollow (negotiable if somehow the total weight is close to that of a hollow/semi, like a chambered). I will most likely not find this in a store as I also need it to be lefty.

My top pick would be a Hofner Ignition Club. I had an Ignition Violin and it played even better than a German-made that I tried. I therefore don't want to spend for a German Hofner when I could get a much cheaper, and possibly Better Ignition. I really liked the Bass but I got rid of it because I felt weird playing a lefty Hofner Violin. I like the Club better aesthetically anyway. So that would be my top pick, except the Ignition Club is not currently offered lefty.

I've found two on [url]http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/lh_bass.htm[/url] which fit the order of short scale, hollow/semi, and lefty. The Dillion Super Nova (Starfire knockoff):

[url]http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/dillion/15/starfire.htm[/url]

And the Eastwood Classic 4 (Electromatic knockoff):

[url]http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/eastwood/classic4_bass.htm[/url]

I've found some reviews on the Eastwood which range from decent to really good. I haven't been able to find anything about the Dillion though I did find some about other Dillions saying the electronics were pretty lame.

I hate to have to rely on reviews so much without trying them myself but this is how it is due to wanting these in lefty. So I was wondering if anybody knew about:

1) Their neck dives?

2) Neck widths? (Are they Hofner thin?)

3) Are the lower bouts uncomfortably wide?

4) Any other ideas about these models?

5) Other models I should consider?

6) The likelihood of Hofner making a lefty Ignition Club (aka, should I wait for what I really want?)

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on these models for a short scale hollow/semi?
PostPosted: August 31st, 2016, 6:19 pm 

I think PJMuck and Ronn Roberts own/owned the Classic 4. hopefully they'll chime in.
I asked Hofner a few months back about the Ignition Club and they had no plans at that time to make any.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2016, 9:36 am 

I also asked them recently and received a similar response. I wonder if we could rally up a bulk order around here.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2016, 2:30 pm 

Might be worth taking look at a Danelectro Longhorn. There was a batch of Korean made lefties released a while back. I believe at least couple members here bought 1. They still pop up for sale for about $425. Short scale hollow, very light. I have a long scale and I love the tonal range of those lipstick pups. Really great fun to play.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2016, 4:08 am 

I had a right handed short scale Korean Longhorn for several years & loved it. With stainless strings it sounded very close to a Rick. Though you can definitely get a more traditional tone with different strings. Overall it was a great bass & sometimes I still think about getting another one.