LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 22nd, 2024, 9:08 pm

Post subject: Warwick Corvette RBSS 30" scale
PostPosted: October 19th, 2014, 8:28 am 

Walked into one of the many guitar stores in Osaka the other day & they had a 2011 short scale Corvette Rockbass so I had to play it. It was actually very nice, a little thin sounding with eq flat but had plenty of growl & bottom end with the bass eq knob dimed & the neck was glossed, not the usual RB satin finish & it was gorgeous to look at with a very professional eye to detail; untypical of a lot of RBs of that era. Black body & not downsized it seems, same as a full scale as I A/B'ed it against a righty in stock. Price was ¥28,000, about $250 I guess so I'm still thinking about it. It was fun to play but felt a little 'toyish', & I don't really need another 4 string but...

Warwick b/o Thumb 5/Corvette 5F, Steinberger XL25WL/XL2FL, Ibanez 645/505/506, Tune BassManiac 5, Aria IGB68-5, Hohner B2VA, MM Sterling, Squier VMJ, FauxFender Dinky J, GB Shuttle 3.10T, GK MB200 & 500, Nemesis 410 cab, Korg G5.

Post subject: Re: Warwick Corvette RBSS 30" scale
PostPosted: October 19th, 2014, 10:58 am 

I appreciate hearing the positive review. I just ordered a medium-scale 5-string RB Corvette Basic Active. It should be here in a couple weeks, so I'll definitely post a review/video after I've had a couple days to get used to it.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2014, 8:22 pm 

Pete Gossett wrote:
I appreciate hearing the positive review. I just ordered a medium-scale 5-string RB Corvette Basic Active. It should be here in a couple weeks, so I'll definitely post a review/video after I've had a couple days to get used to it.

Medium scale = 32"???? Will you use a low B?? I am considering a similar setup but am worried about the sound of the low B at 32". I await your review.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2014, 7:50 am 

I've had a 32" 5-string for ~20 years(custom built), and picked up one of the Brice 30" lefty 5-strings from Rhondo Music earlier this year. For me they have plenty of low-end, but I go for more of a mid-range tone, and run medium-light gauge strings. I do play through a 2x10/1x15 rig live, which adds quite a bit of rumble back in.

I'll post some audio/video tracks after I get the Warwick, and compare it to my other 2 5-strings. I'll include some samples plugged straight into my Presonus interface into Logic also.