LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:40 am

Post subject: Spector Euro 4LX: neck adjusting over years...
PostPosted: October 8th, 2015, 7:31 am 

In the 10 years I have owned this bass the neck always needs truss rod adjusting twice a year. Just did the "North Carolina end of summer" tightening. (Over 30+ years all my other basses have eventually acclimated to changes but Spector still in the "learning curve") Have not reinstalled the truss rod cover in years...

Any other Euro 4LX owners still regularly making neck adjustments?

Post subject: Re: Spector Euro 4LX: neck adjusting over years...
PostPosted: October 8th, 2015, 8:13 am 

I own 10 Spector's currently (yes, stopped the madness at 10).

Half of them need neck adjustments periodically due to climate changes. Thats kind of the norm for some basses especially if the neck is thinner. My 5 string necks move less but one 5 sting has a super thin neck and it moves a lot.

2 adjustments a year...? Consider yourself fortunate. That's very little. My advise... Remove 2 out of 3 screws holding the truss rod cover on and only secure with the top single screw. Get a truss rod tool (T type) that extends 12". They are a MUST for a Spector. Makes adjustments simple and accurate. Those small allen wrenches suck!

Good luck!

Here's a link to what it looks like. You either have a 4mm or 5mm truss nut depending on the year. I think its a 5mm if it's 10 years old.

http://www.amazon.com/Eklind-54950-Long ... 22long+Hex

PostPosted: October 8th, 2015, 8:44 am 

Any wood-necked bass I've ever owned has required an adjustment about twice a year. It's more like a "period of adjustment" where I need to make several smaller tweaks through the Spring and Fall months... and then they stabilize in the Summer and Winter. This has pretty much been a rule across a full spectrum of basses, from custom shop Fenders, to Pedulla, to Spector, to Lakland, to Warwick, on and on. Some might have needed a little less love than others, but I'm pretty particular about my setup and have noticed a change in all of them to one degree or another.

The only basses I've ever owned that defy this are my ZON basses, which have a composite neck. And even those have required some minor adjustments after the initial "settling in period"... especially if they're brand new. However, once I've had them for a bit, they've been rock solid and haven't moved AT ALL. Patience is required when adjusting these necks... you literally have to make about a 1/8th turn and wait a week or so to notice the change. If you're not patient, they can be easy to over-adjust.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: October 8th, 2015, 9:16 am 

I travel for out of town gigs so depending on the city and climate, the necks move a little or a lot due to temperature change (i.e. CA to Idaho my neck couldn't stop adjusting until I got home). If you just play the bass as is, some just deal with it.