LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:27 am

Post subject: What 5 string do you play?
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Curious what everyone here has for 5 string basses?

Post subject: Re: What 5 string do you play?
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 10:32 am 

Ken Smith BSRMW-5
Wyn
Zon Sonus 519.

The Zon's been getting all the attention lately :D

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 10:36 am 

2 Carvins: an LB75 and a B5.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 10:38 am 

None at the moment :cry:

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 10:53 am 

Why are you asking? In need of something new?

My main axe has been a Warwick Streamer LX5 for the last two years, but I also own a killer Sting Ray 5, an Ibanez ATK305 and a custom Ellio Martina Forza 5. I've owned some more, but sold them as they got used too little: two Yamaha TRB5II's, a fretless Sandberg Bullet and a Carvin LB75.

The TRB's were excellent value for money, and very versatile tonewise. Great players too, very comfortable, despite the 35" scale. I barely even noticed. I got my first one brand new, but sold it after I got a new Number One and simply didn't touch it anymore. Years later I got one again because I needed a dependable backup and they're just great.

Right now all I ever play in my band is the Streamer. It's so rediculously tight, punchy and agressive! It really growls and bites. Perfect for a modern metal band, and it works really well with a bit of overdrive.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 11:02 am 

Carvin LB75P (NOT the wide string spacing one.)

I only have room/need for one fiver in my life. I had a Stingray 5 for years and kinda wish I never got rid of it. Felt like home to me. But I was in the mood for experimentation and I sold it when I bought a Modulus Genesis 5. Beautiful bass and great sound but I HATED the wide string spacing and 35" scale. Couldn't find a used SR5 in the price range and configuration I was looking for, so decided to try the Carvin. Nice comfortable neck, tight string spacing that I like on fivers, lots of config options etc.

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 11:40 am 

Had a G&L L2500 but did not play enough to keep. Never had a problem since it was nuke-proof solid. If I ever get another 5 string would probably prefer fretless.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 11:42 am 

andrew wrote:

What's a 5 string? :? (Just kidding)

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 12:38 pm 

My Pedulla MVP5 is my main bass right now... alternating periodically with my Elrick Gold e-volution.

Both basses sound and play AMAZINGLY... the Elrick has the edge in weight and balance and the Pedulla has the edge as far as what I'm looking for tone-wise. It fits better with a lot of the light rock country stuff I'm doing as it's nice and round and thick, where the Elrick is basically a MONSTER jazz bass and more edgy.

My two Zon 5's aren't getting much action these days... at least not at gigs. I play them at home all of the time, however. The fretted is a BG5 and has a VERY unique tone and I simply haven't taken the time to dial in my amp and board channel to make it work for me. The fretless is, well... a fretless... I'm simply not good enough of a fretless player to justify playing it exclusively.

I've been considering putting the Elrick up for trade for an equal value 5-string bass... no reason, other than I'm bored with it. So, if anyone is interested in a super-light 34" scale 5-string with a MONSTER jazz bass tone and absolutely perfect balance, let me know what you have and we can talk.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 1:20 pm 

MINE :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 2:35 pm 

andrew wrote:

But seriously I am really a 5 strings's player. I've been playing it for more then 25 years.

I got my first one built in '87. It got stolen the year after. So I ask the builder to make the same one but better ;)

So I got the same hardware (Smith bridge and soapbar pickups) but 35" with a Modulus fingerboard with phenolic and graphite touch. Then we cut the graphite in strips and inserted them in the neck with a nice ebony fingerboard on top due to some glue problem at the factory with the original board.

Oil finish, and shaped for me, body and neck and passive. The best bass ever for me.
I tried and sold in the mean time all the 5,s I bought: a SR5, Roscoe, Sadowsky, Fodera NYC, 2 Lull, Lakland JO5 and 55-94 Deluxe and so on. None of these basses could complete my own custom bass built in 1989.
Everything I play and record since 1989 is with that bass.

Attachments:
PICT2426.JPG
PICT2426.JPG [ 318.79 KiB | Viewed 11881 times ]
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 2:56 pm 

Two F(ake)ender Jazz basses, a Warwick Rockbass Corvette, a Steinberger Spirit, and five 'de afwerking' (DIY projects) basses.
I prefer to buy cheap basses, the expensive ones I can build myself :mrgreen:.

None of the basses I bought are stock, all have mods done on them, I just love tinkering too much and can't leave them stock.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Jeroen wrote:
Why are you asking? In need of something new?

I'm not really a 5 string player. I've owned 5 and 6 strings in the past and just prefer a 4 string, but I'm playing in a project with a keyboard and a baritone player so I've been thinking it might be the right time to try a 5 again.

I've always been a Stingray 5 fan and have been contemplating one of those if I can find a lighter example, but I wanted to see what others are using. I'm pleasantly surprised by the number of Zon basses in lefty hands, another company I've always liked.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 6:03 pm 

Yamaha TRB1005. Mine plays like butter.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2014, 7:21 pm 

my Hilton, the Pedulla MVP 5 I got from markcv, and an Ibanez SR505 beater I use for gigs where my bass could be at risk.
All tuned E-A-D-G-C

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 1:26 am 

I play exclusively my Wal MK2 since I got it. Very ergonomic, and the variety of tones is amazing.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 7:11 am 

andrew wrote:

Also you might like the Yamaha BB415 all passive, if not for an easy player go with a Shecter. These are very affordable.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 8:15 am 

Andrew, I have a feeling you'll end up with a SR5. They truly are fantastic fivers.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 8:17 am 

Interesting body shape, sort of like a cross between a Smith and a Spector. Who made the bass and how did you come up with that shape? And can we get a picture of the back of the bass?

slybass3000 wrote:
andrew wrote:

But seriously I am really a 5 strings's player. I've been playing it for more then 25 years.

I got my first one built in '87. It got stolen the year after. So I ask the builder to make the same one but better ;)

So I got the same hardware (Smith bridge and soapbar pickups) but 35" with a Modulus fingerboard with phenolic and graphite touch. Then we cut the graphite in strips and inserted them in the neck with a nice ebony fingerboard on top due to some glue problem at the factory with the original board.

Oil finish, and shaped for me, body and neck and passive. The best bass ever for me.
I tried and sold in the mean time all the 5,s I bought: a SR5, Roscoe, Sadowsky, Fodera NYC, 2 Lull, Lakland JO5 and 55-94 Deluxe and so on. None of these basses could complete my own custom bass built in 1989.
Everything I play and record since 1989 is with that bass.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 8:50 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Interesting body shape, sort of like a cross between a Smith and a Spector. Who made the bass and how did you come up with that shape? And can we get a picture of the back of the bass?

Of course, coming up.

The builder is a local guy here in Montreal called Pierre Laporte. He does really good work and we designed the bass together. For me it is a cross between a Smith and the early Tobias. I love the feel of that bass, All smooth and silky with the oil finish ;-)

Pics are coming