LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:46 am

Post subject: Re: What Pickups in Your Jazz Bass?
PostPosted: August 1st, 2018, 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Matt R. wrote:
andrew wrote:
From your description it sounds like they sit tonally between the Aero Type 1 and Fender CS 60's.

Yep, I’d say that’s the case. 8-)

IMO that's a very good place for a jazz pickup to sit.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2018, 10:36 am 

It’s the perfect spot for me. I really love their sound.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2018, 9:07 am 

Updating my previous post.... My Sunburst Jazz that had the Nordstrands, now has EMG pickups, and the system it came with- Vol. Blend, Treb/bass stack. This is my go-to jazz bass now. Modern day EMG pickups have made a convert out of me. DEAD quiet, killer, clean strong output, and the modular stuff makes it easy for anyone to install them. The bass is just the way I want it now. I have another jazz with an older but not ancient EMG set, and standard, non-modular EMG pots, but with a BTC, pots wired the same way- but it is not as much output. I don't know why, but it too, sounds great.
I have my jazz with the Samariums now equipped with Fender 'Super 55's- a nice Dimarzio style twin coil hum cancelling pickup. By FAR, my favorite passive pickups are the Stu Hamm Urge stacked hum cancelling. Stacked pickups, seem to have an even, pleasant, hi-fi top end, without some of the harsh top end some j pickups do. The Samarium Cobalts did, too- but lacked that bloom on the low 'E' string. They were GREAT pickups for two things- having an almost active eq'ed sounding quiet pickup, and where you are doing a house gig where that j-bloom is undesirable. Very tight in the low end. My Turquoise j stack knob, still has the Sheptone Alnico vintage winds I installed in it when I built it. Nice pickups, but sound pretty much just like everyone else's '60's wind pickups. I hear a lot of pickups, as I'm a bass repairman. The Duncan-Fralin-Nordstrand-Lollar Sheptone- Aguilar vintage pickups I've heard, are all really close tone wise. And that's the way it should be, because these winders are all replicating the same era of pickups. Yeah, they are different.. but not like going to stacks, or twin p-bass style j pickups from singles.
I'll say this- EVERY bass I hear with the Fender 60's pickups floors me, especially the P-bass set! I really want to put a set in one of my p-basses. They really are THAT good.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Matt R. wrote:
It’s the perfect spot for me. I really love their sound.

Just picked up a set of the '74 J pickups. I'll install them in a week or two after my life slows down again. Then I'll do a direct a/b between the Fender '74s and the Aeros.

LHBASSIST, I've wanted to do an EMG equipped bass for years. I really want to do a Darryl Jenifer tribute jazz with EMG pickups and graphite neck.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2018, 9:50 am 
Site Admin

I just put a set of the Fender '74 jazz bass pickups into a jazz bass and they are winners. Really good sounding pickups. They have the vintage vibe most of the booteak-o-phile pickup guys go for, but with added beefier low end. I prefer them to the Fralin, Lollar and Nordy vintage voiced pickups I've heard.

My jazz bass pick up scale of "fat agro girth to vintage vibe ratio" is:
Dimarzio Model J
Aero Type 1
Fender '74
Nordy/Fralin/Lollar/Duncan
Fender 60's

I still love the Dimarzio Model J pickups in general but know they aren't the best for every application. I think that the Aero and Fender '74's are the best balance of being a versatile, more traditionally voiced pickup with a pleasing added low/low mid beef.

If anyone wants to fatten their jazz bass tone without adding flub check out the Fender '74's.
If anyone is using the Fender '74's now but still wants a bit more girth I recommend a set of Aero Type 1's installed with 500k pots. The Aero's with 500k pots and the Fender '74's with 250k pots are very similar to each other, the Fender having a slightly nicer top end, the Aero having a slightly nicer low end.