LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 10:16 pm

Post subject: I'm just starting playing bass, some questions
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2008, 8:20 am 

Hey Y'all
I'm just starting playing the bass. I'm lefthanded for writing, but for some other stuff (screwing a screw) i'm right handed.
From a friend I have a right handed bass to learn a bit and to see if this instrument is something that (OH!) suits me (SIR).
My question is this: Is it always better for a lefty to play a lefty bass? How can I found out if a efty bass would be better for me? I've seen some toppics on changing the string of a right handed bass but the the buttons are in the way. Should I really buy a cheap (second hand) bass to see if it works better then this right handed one?

Hope you'll get me through this 'helpless' period in finding my way through the first weeks of playing bass. I think this instrument is the greatest of all, that's the reason I would like to learn how to play it.

Greetingz
VynckeB

Post subject: Re: I'm just starting playing bass, some questions
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2008, 8:30 am 

It's simple. How do you naturally hold a bass in playing position when you pick it up?

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2008, 9:57 am 
Site Admin

I'm of the thinking (and many here will not agree with me on this) that if you've yet to start learning to play bass left handed then you should just learn right handed. It will greatly increase your ability to find instruments, participate in spontaneous jams and such in the future.

I know a lot of lefty players think learning righty goes against your natural inclination, but for the little extra effort it takes to ingrain playing right handed I think it's worth it in the long run.

I learned lefty because when I started out it felt very natural to pick up a guitar and hold it left handed, and being clueless about gear and technique I gave in to that bit of comfort and learned lefty, which I wish I hadn't.

I'm many years on in playing left handed and I don't think about it much any more, except when the terrible gear whore in me sees a bass I want real bad that doesn't come in a lefty model. So it didn't have a huge i0mpact on me overall, but if I had to do it all over again, I can honestly say I would definitely have learned right handed.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2008, 11:36 am 

andrew wrote:
I'm of the thinking (and many here will not agree with me on this) that if you've yet to start learning to play bass left handed then you should just learn right handed. It will greatly increase your ability to find instruments, participate in spontaneous jams and such in the future.

I agree 100%
If you feel any preference, comfortable vs. awkward, to playing left or right handed, you should probably go with whatever feels best.

If you are just beginning, you will probably feel about equally awkward either way, playing left or right handed style. If that's the case, forget about whether you are left or right handed, playing bass involves both hands! There's no clear advantage to which hand does what. If it feels about the about same either way starting out, learn to play right handed!

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2008, 4:21 pm 

well, playing righty felt completely hopeless to me, but lefty was easy and natural. If this is the case then play lefty, if they are both equally awkward then I'd agreed with andrew and say to forget you ever saw this site and learn righty instead.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2008, 8:55 pm 

I play lefty, but my dad, grandfather, and oldest son are all lefties who play right-handed.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2008, 10:13 pm 

Hmm. Well it's a tough call. I ended up playing lefty because it felt more natural to me such that even if I picked up a righty guitar I instinctively flipped it over long before I knew how to play. Because I didn't go against my natural inclination, I picked up bass playing VERY quickly. Within 2 weeks I played my first gig AND sang lead vocals in my first band (I still have the video of my first performance, and while it's cringe-worthy by my standards today I can at least admire the balls I had. :lol: ). So knowing myself I think I may have become disinterested, frustrated, and discouraged from playing bass had someone forced me to play against my nature.

Having said that and knowing what I know now, however, if you've got the patience I would recommend trying to play righty first due to all the aforementioned reasons. It can be a real drag walking into a music store and not having a single left handed instrument you can try out.